XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Best Ultra Performance Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 10:13 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S first came out, they did not have a size that was compatible with my 19" wheels. Has that changed. 2013 XJL 5.0SC

Old 12-30-2018, 10:38 AM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
I'll throw my two cents in...I found a good deal on a set of almost new Pirelli Pzero N1s, 255/35/20 front and 305/30/20 rear. I'm loving them so far. Not only do they look great and aggressive but the handling, traction, and stability is much improved...and surprisingly, the overall ride quality has improved. I was expecting a summer performance tire to make things a bit more harsh but quite the contrary. I can feel the road but its never harsh. For reference, I was running Bridgestone Potenza All Seasons before (came with the car from dealer) with tons of tread life left, so its not like I'm comparing old worn tires to new ones.

I am very happy, especially with the price. Maybe next year we'll see if the Michelins really are that much better.
Glad to hear you are enjoying your experience with the recently purchased Pirelli tires.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Conti's extreme contact are all season - I like them; excellent grip in dry conditions - tires don't squeal; very good grip in rain too; OK in snow with weights in trunk; less expensive than the gold standard Michelins; Conti's have longevity; My protocol has always been sticky short life summer tires & Hakkapelita (hockey-pucks) in winter. This is a decent compromise.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by MV Rider
Have had the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ on the car for 15,000 miles and for street use in the U.S. I see no reason for the PS4s on a luxury sport touring sedan.
I’ve had those too, and thought they were the best all round tires I’ve ever had. I also tried Pirelli P Zero A/S and while they rode and handled OK, they had chronic issues with flat spotting and vibration that never quite went away.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2

I replaced the original Pirelli tires on my 2015 XJ with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires this past Summer. Based on my experience, I can attest to these Michelin tires not being good for colder and wet conditions. I took the car to the dealership thinking something was wrong with the alignment/steering hardware when I started experiencing odd symptoms. When making slow turns (in parking lots, out of the driveway, etc.), the front end feels like it is sliding on wet leaves. Everything checked out okay with the vehicle. I have since realized the slipping phenomenon only happens when it is cold (20’s-30’s degrees F) and especially when combined with wet, not necessarily icy, conditions. I’ve never experienced this condition with any other tires. My mistake for not researching enough I guess, but a warning to anyone looking for tires that might see cooler conditions.
That's because the Michelin PS 4S's are a max performance summer tire. They aren't designed to be operated below 40*F and will suffer sidewall cracking when driven below freezing temperatures. This is the case will all max performance summer tires due to the rubber compound that has to be used. During the winter months you need to use an A/S tire compound if you live in an area that drops to freezing or below. For maximum performance the Michelin PS 4S's are the best performing tire on the market for spring through fall driving.