XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Best Ultra Performance Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 09:42 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Best Ultra Performance Tires

I have a 2012 XJL Portfolio with the OME tires (Pirelli P Zero Nero all season) and thinking about changing to the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06.
I'm looking to get 4 new tires but would like to get some feedback from members of the Forum if you have had experiences with these tires.
Please share your thoughts. Thanks for your help.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

It depends on the weather conditions when/where you drive.
The indisputable best ultra performance summer tyre (street and sometimes even track) is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, numerous comparo tests and masses of user feedback confirming this.
But they are not meant for very cold / snowy / icy conditions, for those conditions you need either a dedicated winter tyre or at least a good "all season" tyre.
The Conti EC DWS 06 gets rave reviews as an all season tyre, but even then there are better tyres for really cold / snowy / icy conditions.
Lots of Jag owners in colder climates have two sets of tyres (and often mounted on different wheels), one for summer and one for winter, while others are happy to run the Conti EC DWS all year round.
Disclaimer - I run ultra performance summer tyres all year round and always have as I have never seen snow or ice on the road in over 60 years where I live.

The following users liked this post:
retriever-007 (12-14-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 11:36 PM

Thanks a bunch for the feedback.
I have had this vehicle for 4 yrs. and it's never been driven in the snow; and I've only been caught in the rain 3-4 times. Since I live in
Pennsylvania it's very likely at this time of the year we'll be dealing with snow--got 11 inches where I live about 2 wks. ago.
I have a truck for winter driving, and the Jag is not a daily driver.
My Pirelli's are a quiet ride at faster highway speeds and I was hoping to get about 30,000 miles but doesn't look like that will happen.
I once owned a '76 260Z car that had Pirell's and almost had an accident while driving in the snow; promised I would never own that type of tire again.
Several years ago I put Blizzack winter tires on my Lincoln for the winter months and got 3 yrs use out of them but since that time I've always gone with
all season tires.
So, hoping to get better mileage out of the new tire, that it's quiet, that it's decent in the rain in case I failed to pay attention to weather reports, and hope
the tire manufacturer offers a decent warranty.
What do you think? Thanks.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:32 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with OZXFR that the best ultra performance summer tyre has to be the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Immense grip, quiet and rain resistant.

The grip really is amazing as if you have converted the car to an AWD.

If you think Pirelli P zero is quiet then you will redefine the word quietness once you have swapped to Michelin.

retriever-007 (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 12:33 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EmmanuelTam
I agree with OZXFR that the best ultra performance summer tyre has to be the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Immense grip, quiet and rain resistant.

The grip really is amazing as if you have converted the car to an AWD.

If you think Pirelli P zero is quiet then you will redefine the word quietness once you have swapped to Michelin.

I live in Hong Kong and we will never see snow here so no comment on snow performance.

retriever-007 (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 04:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

I have the all-season Conti DWS06 on my 2013 XJ 5.OSC, and prefer them to the OEM Dunlops. I considered the Michelins, but thought they weren't worth the substantial additional cost particularly since they have a lower treadwear rating.

Why do you need an Ultra High Performance Summer tire on a 2012 XJL in Pennsylvania? You're not going to track an XJL, and even if there's no snow on the ground the soft compound gets rock hard and loses traction as the temperature falls below 40 degrees, which compromises safety. I'll take a comfortable ride, quietness, treadwear, good handling, and all-weather usability over bragging rights. Buy the Conti DWS06.

Your car, your money, your choice.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

Another vote for Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. Absolutely an awesome tire and a big improvement over the older Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire. Just had to change the rears as had a bad puncture @ 19k. Fronts are still going strong @ 20k with several thousand miles left and I don't ***** foot around. I run the larger size XJR sizes @ 38psi and the ride is super smooth for an x351 anything less is bouncy and mushy handling. Just MHO

I'm attaching an explanation of tires and manufacture compound markings as the Michelin makes at least 3 compounds of the Pilot Sport 4s. I deliberately chose the non marked compound over the BMW (*) tire or the Mercedes (MO) compounds as have tried both on other tires sets and don't like the Jags handling with those compounds. Hope you find this of interest.

Attached Files

Last edited by XJsss; 12-07-2018 at 12:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by XJsss:
hafren (12-07-2018), retriever-007 (12-14-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires are the best performance road-going tires you can buy. However, they are summer-only tires, they are not suitable for driving if temperature drops below 40F.

Old 12-08-2018, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

I have just been through a winter with 4S's on the rear of my daily driver '10 XKR. The ambient temperature on the way to work was often less than 40F and I didn't notice any particular drop off in performance.

You obviously have to treat frosty roads and black ice with respect but they coped fine otherwise.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:11 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you looking for staggered 20’s?

See if you’d like these. Summer only, I needed all-seasons. Under 500 miles...probably under 100.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:56 PM

I had Conti DSW06 on my Cadillac V-Series, after originally running both Nitto Invo's, and then Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I loved the Conti DWS06, for all around driving, it was a much better tire.

When I bought my current XJR, the dealer had just installed a new set of Pilot Super Sports on it and I can't stand them... can't wait to get back to the DWS06.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt ***
I had Conti DSW06 on my Cadillac V-Series, after originally running both Nitto Invo's, and then Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I loved the Conti DWS06, for all around driving, it was a much better tire.

When I bought my current XJR, the dealer had just installed a new set of Pilot Super Sports on it and I can't stand them... can't wait to get back to the DWS06.
Interesting. Why don't you like the Michelins?

Old 12-11-2018, 04:26 PM

The MPSS just don't last that long in daily driving duty, and I think they ride more harshly than the Conti's.

Personal preference of course, everyone is going to have a different feel.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

Having both Pilot Super Sports and Pilot Sport 4s, I can feel a vast difference in the the newer 4s tire rides a lot "softer" but handles better than the older super Sports. Granted the Super Sports were BMW compound and the new 4s are non manufacturer specific, the do feel different. The newer 4s are by far the best tires I have ever owned on any car.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:31 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

Have had the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ on the car for 15,000 miles and for street use in the U.S. I see no reason for the PS4s on a luxury sport touring sedan.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by retriever-007
I have a 2012 XJL Portfolio with the OME tires (Pirelli P Zero Nero all season) and thinking about changing to the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06.
I'm looking to get 4 new tires but would like to get some feedback from members of the Forum if you have had experiences with these tires.
Please share your thoughts. Thanks for your help.
UPDATE: Just want to say thanks to all who responded to my question concerning the best ultra performance tires. Made my decision yesterday and am staying
with the Pirelli tires even though I was leaning toward the Continentals. The main reason is that my local Sams store has a really good price on 4 new Pirelli tires.
I've done additional research on these two tires and there are many proc/cons on both tires. These Pirelli's came with the car, including the unused spare Pirelli tire
still in the trunk. If I can get 6 yrs out of this new set of Pirelli's, as I have with this current set, I will be satisfied. Again, thanks to all for providing your insights and
feedback.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by retriever-007
UPDATE: Just want to say thanks to all who responded to my question concerning the best ultra performance tires. Made my decision yesterday and am staying
with the Pirelli tires even though I was leaning toward the Continentals. The main reason is that my local Sams store has a really good price on 4 new Pirelli tires.
I've done additional research on these two tires and there are many proc/cons on both tires. These Pirelli's came with the car, including the unused spare Pirelli tire
still in the trunk. If I can get 6 yrs out of this new set of Pirelli's, as I have with this current set, I will be satisfied. Again, thanks to all for providing your insights and
feedback.
Just had the 4 new Pirelli tires installed today. What a difference with these new tires. Boy, feels like my vehicle is not on the road and seems like I'm flying in the air. No
noise and seems like the car is moving effortlessly. The turns are quick; so far I like the decision I made. Will update after I get somewhere between 500-1000 miles.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:31 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced the original Pirelli tires on my 2015 XJ with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires this past Summer. Based on my experience, I can attest to these Michelin tires not being good for colder and wet conditions. I took the car to the dealership thinking something was wrong with the alignment/steering hardware when I started experiencing odd symptoms. When making slow turns (in parking lots, out of the driveway, etc.), the front end feels like it is sliding on wet leaves. Everything checked out okay with the vehicle. I have since realized the slipping phenomenon only happens when it is cold (20’s-30’s degrees F) and especially when combined with wet, not necessarily icy, conditions. I’ve never experienced this condition with any other tires. My mistake for not researching enough I guess, but a warning to anyone looking for tires that might see cooler conditions.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by jim2
I replaced the original Pirelli tires on my 2015 XJ with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires this past Summer. Based on my experience, I can attest to these Michelin tires not being good for colder and wet conditions. I took the car to the dealership thinking something was wrong with the alignment/steering hardware when I started experiencing odd symptoms. When making slow turns (in parking lots, out of the driveway, etc.), the front end feels like it is sliding on wet leaves. Everything checked out okay with the vehicle. I have since realized the slipping phenomenon only happens when it is cold (20’s-30’s degrees F) and especially when combined with wet, not necessarily icy, conditions. I’ve never experienced this condition with any other tires. My mistake for not researching enough I guess, but a warning to anyone looking for tires that might see cooler conditions.
Sorry to hear you are not having a positive experience with the Michelin tires.
My XJL is not a daily driver, and during the winter, it only sees the highway when no snow is predicted. I possibly could get caught in the rain but that will only happen
if it "sneaks" up on me. However, I did get caught in the rain on my OEM Pirelli tires a couple times and I felt safe so that is one of the reasons why I finally decided to just get a new set of the Pirellis that were on the vehicle when it was purchased.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

I'll throw my two cents in...I found a good deal on a set of almost new Pirelli Pzero N1s, 255/35/20 front and 305/30/20 rear. I'm loving them so far. Not only do they look great and aggressive but the handling, traction, and stability is much improved...and surprisingly, the overall ride quality has improved. I was expecting a summer performance tire to make things a bit more harsh but quite the contrary. I can feel the road but its never harsh. For reference, I was running Bridgestone Potenza All Seasons before (came with the car from dealer) with tons of tread life left, so its not like I'm comparing old worn tires to new ones.

I am very happy, especially with the price. Maybe next year we'll see if the Michelins really are that much better.

Quick Reply: Best Ultra Performance Tires