XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

bowers and wilkins vs standard, SC vs nonSC

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 08:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bowers and wilkins vs standard, SC vs nonSC

I'm looking to trade in my XF (which has BW audio) for a new XJ or XJL (now that roof popping has been put to rest,it seems). The BW is not very common on the non-supercharged models as an option ordered by the dealers. I'm a musician, so I thought it was best to have the BW but the dealer insists that the standard audio system is also BW though with less wattage and fewer speakers. Can anyone corroborate this?
While both sound 'good', I've not had an ideal comparative listening test. Wasn't sure if the standard audio has the Prologic IIx surround and Audyssey EQ etc.
Going without the upgraded audio would give me more color options so would like to hear input from others.

My dealer is trying to get me to go supercharged so it isn't an issue but I can't imaging needing 470 hp vs 385 and really like the gas mileage in the base engine. Plus the 20" wheels, while very nice looking probably ride harsher and do seem more prone to pothole damage.
My understanding is that there is little or no acceleration time difference from 0-60 as even the 385hp can do it in 4.5sec with right settings.
Thoughts?

thanks, a great forum here!
AJ

Old 10-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

The Jaguar 400W sound system features 12 high-efficiency speakers and Dynamic Volume Control, which actively compensates for noise in the cabin.
- The Jaguar 600W premium sound system has a powerful DSP amplifier, 14 speakers and three extra audio channels, available through WhiteFire™ wireless digital headphones, when selected with Dual View or Rear Seat Entertainment.
- The Bowers & Wilkins 1200W premium sound system rivals the very best home hi-fi. It has 20 speakers, powered through 15 channels, and features Dolby® Pro-Logic IIx and DTS™ Neo:6 encoders and three extra audio channels, available through WhiteFire™ wireless digital headphones, when selected with Dual View or Rear Seat Entertainment.

So it would seem that only that B&W comes with surround sound. As far a know if all the speakers are B&W they maybe but the lower models will not come with the Kevlar midrange speaker. So it won't look yellow.

I am sure the 470 accelerates faster but in the end you are talking tenths of secs so is it really that important. And why would lose color options if you upgraded the stereo?

And you are probably right about the wheel ride.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:06 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I've driven both the base and SC models and IMHO the SC is significantly faster in both off the line and rolling acceleration as you would expect from 85 additional HP and the boost you get from a supercharger, if that's important to you. It was to me and I feel it's worth the extra $15K. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that the 20" wheels ride very nicely--the tires are a little higher profile than some (40 front and 35 rear aspect ratio) so I haven't experienced any wheel damage from hitting potholes (previously had a Maserati QP with very low profile tires on 20" rims and was constantly dinging the wheels when hitting potholes and the ride was a little on the harsh side). I also think the bigger rims look better on this car.

Sorry, not much of an audiophile, so I can't offer any comments on the sound system. I have the premium system and it is definitely better than my ears!

The following users liked this post:
azurejag (10-25-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 04:21 PM

I agree with HouTexJag about the acceleration. And as far the sound system I consider myself an Audiophile and while the system is good I no longer think it as good as I thought it was. I have already had one of the woofers in the door replaced. And now the midrange speakers in both doors resonate depending on the volume and frequency played. Now I know it has audyssey which is suppose use a mic or mics to adjust the soundstage and it seems to work in surround sound but in stereo the imaging well frankly sucks IMHO. I hear voices coming right out of the tweeter next to me as oppose to in front of me or where I would assume the sound engineer is wanting me to hear it. Now I am going to get the dealer to replace the midrange kelvar drivers and when they do I want to see if the hole is enclosed or open into the door like normal cars. That could explain the resonating. In the end its probably better than the normal system and if you get the supercharged its a non-issue. Whether its worth the 2200 dollars only you can decide that by auditioning both of them with several different pieces of music at different levels. I would suggest 320kps MP3 at the least and dvd audio's if you have them.

Last edited by ExpatJag; 10-23-2011 at 04:25 PM.
azurejag (10-25-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 10:35 PM

Thanks for the info- I guess if the price is right will go for the supercharged- I understand the difference in gas mileage is pretty small.
Not sure if the active differential included in the SC is of any benefit

My XF BW needed drivers replaced also, kind of surprising given how good they are supposed to be. they've sure advertised it as being among the premier systems.

Next decision is black vs silver vs lunar gray vs vapour gray

Black looks best to me but Ive never had a black car and maintaining it does worry me as it rains frequently here

thanks

Old 10-24-2011, 12:53 AM

I couldn't tell you about mere mortals gas mileage as I live in Germany and drive immortal speeds.Lol With a full tank I can drive to the airport in Frankfurt which is normally about an hour drive away in about 30-45min traffic depending and on the return trip I am heading straight to the gas station. Gas vanishes the faster you are going and around 130mph and up my Cat is really drinking the gas up. Another thing that can eat your gas up and what you may find yourself doing is accelerating alot. The supercharged can accelerate so fast it can be scary at times.

As far as the stereo goes I still contend its in the top 10 of premium sound systems. Better than any Bose system. IMHO I think the top spot goes to the B&O plus system you can get in the Audi's, Aston's, and certain Mercedes(AMG's I think). Is it worth the additional 6 grand? Uh no. But I would get it anyways. And any car company that tells you their stock stereo rivals a home system is a fool and full of crap. Even the paperwork for our system says we would have to spend $13,000 dollars to get an equivalent system. Yeah, I don't hear that. The system definitely needs more bottom end. I believe they are 8 inch open air woofers which would explain it. And for some reason the center channel plays at full range so when the volume goes up again depending on the music it will clip. So now I keep the system on stereo unless I am playing multi channel music. And when I say up I mean around 50 which is my normal listening level.

Well black hides the C-pillars unless you really like that look, I didn't so I painted mine car color. I dont know if they offer Black Amethyst Metallic in the States but it looks pretty good. It's hard to tell on the website because I don't believe the configure system they are using renders the colors correctly. I just looked at Caviar again and it looks nothing like my car's actual color.

The only other issue is there is higher maintenance with black which as you said is a concern. If it makes you feel any better I have the same issues because of the dark color but love my color.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:04 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey there, I signed up with an account so that I could provide my two cents, as I was in the same pickle as you regarding the audio options. I came from an XF with the B&W system, and loved that system so much, I outfitted my home hi-fi with a full B&W system. When I went in, I had three requirements:

1) B&W Stereo
I liked the system in the XF so much, that I felt like I would be doing myself a disservice by not having the B&W in the XJ.

2) London Tan interior
I've had black interiors on all 4 of the last Jags, so I wanted to switch it up.

3) 2011 model
The warranty was better on the 2011 models (brake pads / rotors are included, 5 year 50k warranty). Also, they want to move these off of the lots, so working a deal was more of an option.

#2 and #3 were easy, but nobody could locate a non-SC, non-LWB model with the B&W system. I wasn't going to budge on it. My salesperson convinced me to come down and listen to the 600W standard system. I took the bait, and on my drive in, listened to a variety of samples on the XF's B&W system so I knew what to listen for. When I got to the showroom, I sat in the car with my CDs and blasted them to give it a fair and comparative listen. I have found that the stereo performance is as good or slightly better than the B&W in the XF. There is no Dolby PL-II in the standard system, so there is no comparison there. However, I listened to a B&W in an XJL S/C they had there, and I found the PL-II to be distracting. It wasn't as seamless as it had been in the XF... You "knew" it was there, and the front center channel seemed to just be out of sync. I ended up figuring that the $12-15k difference in getting a 2011 vs. 2012 with B&W was just not worth it, as the system performed as good in stereo. I didn't feel like I was downgrading.

There may be some truth to the 600W system being designed by B&W. For one, they probably had something to do with speaker placement. Also, the speakers in the rear deck are yellow on the bottom, and may actually be B&W Kevlar cones. I can't tell for sure.

Regardless, you will enjoy the car with either system.

Good luck!

azurejag (10-25-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 03:42 PM

Thanks for joining and posting Depeche,
that is very helpful info. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you except my wife doesn't like london tan so I have to get something else but am sticking to 2011 for the reasons you mentioned.

The emotional side of me leans towards the supercharged as it is nearly in supercar territory with 470 hp. The practical side of me says what could that much horsepower do for me other than lower my mpg and get me in trouble! I do like the look of the 20" wheels though.

I wish I could get the XJ in my favorite color of all time, the Azure blue of my XF, of course that would have been too easy !

AJ

Old 10-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by azurejag
Thanks for joining and posting Depeche,
that is very helpful info. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you except my wife doesn't like london tan so I have to get something else but am sticking to 2011 for the reasons you mentioned.

The emotional side of me leans towards the supercharged as it is nearly in supercar territory with 470 hp. The practical side of me says what could that much horsepower do for me other than lower my mpg and get me in trouble! I do like the look of the 20" wheels though.

I wish I could get the XJ in my favorite color of all time, the Azure blue of my XF, of course that would have been too easy !

AJ
You can never have too much horsepower.

Black always looks awesome on Jaguars--I'm on my 4th black sedan. Rains a lot in Houston too--just have to get it washed weekly. I go to one of those hand car washes and I buy them 50 at a time for a discount, so it costs less than $10 a wash. Just part of the fun of owning and maintaining a great looking car.

Too bad your wife doesn't like the London Tan--it goes really well with black. Very striking.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1. I agree there is no such thing as too much hp.

Something else to consider, alot of the options on the standard XJ are already included in the Supercharged, so your not just paying more for hp.

And black is the way to go IMO.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:04 AM

Don't count out the Stratus Grey... It looks black in darker light, but has a lovely metallic shimmer in bright light. Hides scratches too

Old 10-25-2011, 02:06 AM

Oh, and the 385 hp is quite fast, especially coming from a smaller 300hp XF. You can burn out your rear tires quite easily (something I couldn't ever get the XF to do).

Fun fact, I got in the back seat today while the engine was running, and the air suspension lifted the back of the car up. I've never felt anything like it...

azurejag (10-25-2011)