XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

FliR thermal camera

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default FliR thermal camera

Next week I am having a FLiR thermal camera installed. It will be available through the display under NAV mode via a small switch. Not as integrated as a Beemer or MB but I think it is a valuable safety feature. Will still allow music and nav instructions. Was hoping for a way to split screen under the Nav but I guess that's not possible.

They are going to have to cut an X out of the grill for it. Not thrilled by that but necessary for the camera diameter.

Will post pics of the display and install when its done. Should be around $4k to do installed.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow! That's fantastic! Please please please post pics of the final project. One thing I really would have liked to have had as an option for the Jag was a BMW-style night vision system.

Which model FLIR are you installing?

Old 10-13-2011, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I was not aware of availability of this , that's a major upgrade

Old 10-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Dochands, that FLIR system is really nice. I went out to Santa Barbara to a FLIR school and we got to go hands on with it. Very nice. If you need to know anything about the system, let me know. I will see what sort of information that I can dig up for you.

For those with a "rear view camera" in your aftermarket radios, you can wire in this FLIR camera to that line and run it that way. It uses a standard video line. Then all you have to do is wire up the radio to allow you to see the camera as you are driving. The camera is a self contained unit that runs on 12 VDC. I have contemplated adding it to my X-Type, but then, I would probably go with one of the other Tao cameras to get a different angle of view. But, that is the benefit of having the inside scoop on things like this.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:34 AM

Not familiar with the Tao cameras. I believe he is going to wire the unit to the NAV input and there will be a button to switch it on and replace that view as desired. There will also be an interface through the high beams that will allow the digital zoom to come into play.

I asked about using some extra input on the B&W and am not clear if there is one there after the interface module is added. The problem is no one seems to know how to kill the speed limiter that shuts off function when moving. Also they want to preserve all concurrent functions and just show the FLiR. Otherwise I guess there would be no music or verbal nav instructions when using the thermal.

I know they have not actually done a Jag yet so this may be different when actually installed. The owner of the shop just bought an XJL but has not done a camera yet.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Veteran member

Dochands, I'm not sure of the module that is being added to the car, but the camera would require a windows based module running an OS to do the zooming that you are talking about. Granted, if you have that capability, then you will want the FLIR program installed. This will allow the use of like 10 different screen views. So, instead of being limited to the B&W, you can get things like Cold View (ie, cold things look white, hot things are black), rainbow (red things are hot, cold things are blue with the rainbow of colors in between), Blue view (hot things are blue, all other things are varying shades of red and green), and the like. But, you need to have a windows OS installed to use those functions. granted, you can probably just use the mini-USB port on the camera and then using a laptop, be able to access the camera when the car is parked and make the changes then. But then, you won't have the zoom function for driving at night.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:10 AM

My understanding over the phone is there is a module to attach the unit to the nav and allow motion camera and a module that attached through the high beams that allows the digital zoom.

I'll know more today when I meet with the shop. I do know there will be a dash mounted switch to activate the feed.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:50 PM

Thought I'd post an update on the progress on the FLiR camera install.

The installer was told by the distributor that the NAV module was in the trunk. Which it is on the '10s. On the '11s its under the dash. Wasted time there.

Now they can't get an image on my screen with the input module. Supposedly there is going to be some beta testing at the distributor over the weekend to see what pin configuration we need and what software upgrade.

Fortunately the installer was smart enough not to install the camera or cut my grill until he can get a working image.

Hoping for work completed by next Wednesday with the weekend.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Veteran member

Doc, if you want any information relating to the camera itself, let me know. I will see what I can do for you. I have contacts out in Santa Barbara at the Flir home that I might be able to get something out of them.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:44 AM

Thanks Thermo. Sort of out of my hands.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I test drove a new A7 a few days ago when I was getting my car services and lemme tell you, the HUD image that it gives for the night vision is pretty awesome, same with the on screen navigation video.

I can imagine if someone qualified enough got into the code that runs the cars, they could make a lot of money selling 'aftermarket screen upgrades'. Why have a digital screen if you're not going to allow complete customization.

With some interfacting - you could get Pandora installed natively on the car. Could have it so you could select songs, climate control, pretty much whatever - through the main display and controls on the steering wheel. I think it's my biggest gripe. Why have a car this awesome and then limit development like Apple does.

Can I jailbreak my XJ?

Old 10-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by New2Jag
I test drove a new A7 a few days ago when I was getting my car services and lemme tell you, the HUD image that it gives for the night vision is pretty awesome, same with the on screen navigation video.

I can imagine if someone qualified enough got into the code that runs the cars, they could make a lot of money selling 'aftermarket screen upgrades'. Why have a digital screen if you're not going to allow complete customization.

With some interfacting - you could get Pandora installed natively on the car. Could have it so you could select songs, climate control, pretty much whatever - through the main display and controls on the steering wheel. I think it's my biggest gripe. Why have a car this awesome and then limit development like Apple does.

Can I jailbreak my XJ?
Yeah, this is what happens when you get a car from a company that doesn't have deep pockets. We have two digital screens that do next to nothing. I won't sit here and complain because I could have easily gotten one of the other Big Three but sometimes I wish it was VW that bought Jaguar. That would have been hard seeing that Audi and Jaguar compete in the same market but is would have been awesome tech wise. Have you seen the new BMW's with the side cameras? OMG I wish my Jag had those.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:29 AM

My friend who has an older model BMW 750 and I were just talking about this last night. He is considering a new vehicle in a much lower price range and noticedthere is so much tasty tech in the less expensive vehicles. Tech that seems to trickle up to it hits the luxury market later.

I know for electronics that's particularly true. Look how good the Ford Sync system has been for several years. And a lot of the most advanced engine engineering is occurring there as well.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I think it depends on the type of tech. Car tech like HUD, or keyless entry, or mechanical innovations always trickle downwards. Ford's tech is an exception because they don't really build luxury automobile per se. Technically Lincoln is their luxury arm but really. If your friends stays European he can get all the tech in a high-end car that you can get in a lower end car plus more. There is still not a low-end car with soft-close doors, electric side window shades, rear massaging, cooling and heated seats and the list goes on. What the lower car can offer is that simple cheap tech that is simple to implement like audio blue tooth streaming, ipod intergration, navigation, etc. I was just in my friends 2011 BMW M3 and when his ipod is connected it shows cover art. I will never understand why we have an 8 inch screen and it cant do something as simple as show cover art which has been in existence for awhile now.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:56 PM

Well no joy. With the navtv module they cannot get a picture on my '11 display. Supposedly got it working in a '10.

So they're putting it back together for me to pick up tomorrow. :-(