XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Dust

The worst problem I've had with my XJL is cleaning the brake dust from the wheels. It seems like every 4 days the wheels need cleaning. Has there been any mention of upgrading brake pads that will also reduce the dust? The brakes work fine... they just create too much dust. I would imagine I'll be replacing the pads sooner than normal since all the dust is an indication of wear. I spend more time cleaning the wheels than I do cleaning the car.

The following users liked this post:
Dochands (06-13-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

I have noticed the same dust problem with mine,in fact I have just cleaned the wheels an hour ago when I came in tonight, it would be interesting to know what mileage other owners are getting out of their pads, mine have only done just over 3000 miles so far.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm at 6800 miles and have constant break dust. It's the reason I wanted at one point to powder coat my wheels black ala - Bentley SuperSport

Old 05-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The brake dust issue isn't quite as bad as it was on my old XF (rotor scoring and pad wear an issue as well with the XF). Still, I hate the dust and have now gotten into the habit of spraying a little Endust on a micro-fiber dusting mitt and wiping the wheels everyday (only takes a minute). I wash the mitt after a week's worth of wiping, amazed at the amount of dust it's picked up.

MackXJL (05-15-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 11:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That really works!
Thanks!

Old 05-16-2011, 10:30 AM

I had to change my rear pads on my XF non-sc @ 25k miles. I think that was ridiculous. my last 3 cars i never changed rear disc brakes at all. after the dealer performed the rear brake change i purchased a set of EBC Red Ceramics for the front and back and had them installed. EBC's did not reduce the brake dust as much as their advertisement claims. I recently purchased a set of front/rear premium rotors from r1concepts and will be changing all the brakes again when i reach 45k miles. i am going to try the Akebono Euro's for the rear, cuz they dont make them for the front yet. anyone have any issues with Akebono? can you suggest a front pad to use that is clean???? Jaguar are you listening!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI my wife drives a Pontiac G8 GT and it has the cleanest wheels i have ever seen. maybe Jag can take a note out of GM's book and upgrade their brakes. Simply put: Brakes dont have to be dirty to perform exceptionally............

Old 05-16-2011, 11:39 AM

You need to have a Mini or a BMW 7....... the Jag has alot I'll grant you, but not like the BMW and the Mini. You almost need to use a wire brush......

Trending Topics

Old 06-10-2011, 10:20 AM

I have found the stuff!
A friend gave me a can of the new Armor All Wheel Protectant.
It works! I have used it two times. The first time I did it my way and it sucked. The second time I did it just like it said on the can. It has been 8 days and the wheels look great! 300 miles. Even the fronts. For ArmorAll it is in a different looking can. Slender with a small top. Amazing! Never much used ArmorAll, but will now. Also did the Mini with it but only 3 days ago so more to come. TRY IT! 6 USD.

Last edited by MackXJL; 06-10-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

A friend of mine uses this Armor All product on his Corvette and swears by it as well. I haven't tried it yet, but need to because the fronts especially accumulate a lot of dust.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:44 PM

Great idea, I'll try that also.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

i clean my wheels weekly and found these two items a must have. the daytona speed brush is bendable and the lugnut brush i attach to my cordless drill. the daytona speed brush will get the barrels on the wheels clean.

MackXJL (06-13-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is also a product from Michelin which I just ordered to try.

Has anyone had brake pad shields installed? I am not sure anyone makes them for our cars but that is a permanent solution for brake dust.

Thanks for starting this post because I was about to start one myself. On a white XJL this is a real problem.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by MDJag
i clean my wheels weekly and found these two items a must have. the daytona speed brush is bendable and the lugnut brush i attach to my cordless drill. the daytona speed brush will get the barrels on the wheels clean.
MDJ,
I need these! Where did you fine them?
Joe

Old 06-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MackXJL
MDJ,
Joe
I use the Daytona wheel brush as well and it works great. I got mine at autogeek.com. I also use the boars hair wheel brush it does a great job on the outside of the wheels as well as inside the fenders wells. As far as products to prevent the wheels from the black brake dust, I used the eagle one product and it didn't work, I haven't tried the armor all product but ultimately IMO nothing is going to keep the black dust from accumulating, it seems to be the curse of all European cars, this never happens to American or japanese cars. All you can do is clean it and a few days later game over clean it again.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

My Lexus GS has the brake dust problem also. Enough people complained that Lexus eventually offered optional low-dust pads for people that didn't like to clean their wheels regularly. While the low dust pads cut down on the dusting a little, the stopping power was significantly impacted. Most people I know (including myself) who tried the low-dusting pads promptly swapped them back out to the regular pads.

All 3 of my cars dust like crazy and it is just something I've learned to live with. I wash all my cars weekly by hand and the investment in time I put in is part of the price of maintaining my vehicles.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MackXJL
MDJ,
Joe
i got them off autogeek.net

Old 06-14-2011, 08:13 PM

On order today, and that guys!

Old 06-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Weird. When I picked up my car they gave me a daytona speed wheel brush. I just assumed everyone got one. I only used mine a couple of time then put it up because it didnt get my wheels as clean as just using a microfiber clothe and you had to put alot of elbow grease into it.

Last edited by ExpatJag; 06-15-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MDJag
Can you send the link to the lugnut brush because I can't find it on Autogeek.net.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

A member in 2007 XK Forums mentioned Armor All for cleaning the wheels

Quick Reply: Brake Dust