XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:17 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
Can you send the link to the lugnut brush because I can't find it on Autogeek.net.
Drill Operated BrushNut Lugnut Brush, lug nut cleaning brush, clean lugnut brushes

The following users liked this post:
ExpatJag (06-18-2011)
Old 07-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Let me give another vote for the Armor all wheel treatment--the stuff in the tall thin can.

The wheels were filthy with brake dust after just 150 miles of regular driving, but after following the directions TO A "T", my wheels have been shinier-than-new with ZERO brake dust. Good stuff. No brake dust even after driving in the rain the other day.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Second bottle of the AA. works well on the mini, but black powder coated wheels so not the same.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You haven't seen the worst brake dust problem unless you've owned a BMW. The wheels turn black after a couple of days of driving. I use a power washer on the tires (it doesn't take off the silicone tire coating just the dust) and wheels every few days. If I'm in a rush, I just drive off and let the water spin off the wheels.

I'd highly recommend against dust shields. They significantly reduce the airflow to the brake discs and trap the heat, which may cause the discs to warp resulting in shimmering during braking. It can be costly to resurface or replace the discs. Some manufacturers will even invalidate the warranty on the brake assembly if you put the shields on.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

Do you wax your wheels?

You will significantly lower the brake dust buildup if you do.

My double fives used to turn ash-like maybe 3 days after a wash without wax. Now when I was the car I use a foaming alloy cleaner (I recommend Turtle wax or eagle, you want the heavy duty corrosive ones (with the symbol of a hand turning into bone)), spray it on, scrub with a brush, and wash off with a garden hose (do this relatively quickly, don't leave the foam on for more than maybe 2 minutes or so). If there is a specific spot that you're having trouble with you can use a scotch brite sponge lightly, soaked in the alloy cleaner, then again rinse with water. Then, apply wax on the wheel - I use a turtle wax green wax paste with a sponge applicator. Let it dry for a few minutes, polish with a microfibre.

With waxing my wheels now look spotless like new between washes, as opposed to days.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  40.4 KB

Last edited by pomosv; 07-07-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I just applied the AA to my rims and their drying. Will let you know the outcome. My CLS 63 had much worse brake dust than the XJ. Just horrible.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MackXJL
I have found the stuff!
A friend gave me a can of the new Armor All Wheel Protectant.
It works! I have used it two times. The first time I did it my way and it sucked. The second time I did it just like it said on the can. It has been 8 days and the wheels look great! 300 miles. Even the fronts. For ArmorAll it is in a different looking can. Slender with a small top. Amazing! Never much used ArmorAll, but will now. Also did the Mini with it but only 3 days ago so more to come. TRY IT! 6 USD.
I just tried this product on my XFR because I was just getting tired of having to clean just the wheels so damn often. Believe me, this stuff works, I was pleasantly surprised how effective it was. Normally after a day or two of driving you'd notice the black film on the wheels which only got worse as the week wore on. After two days with the Armor All Wheel Protectant, I ran a finger across the wheel surface and....nothing! Now to see how long it works before another application. Once wheels are thoroughly cleaned AND dried it sprays on, let dry, thats it. Next time I'm going to remove the wheels from the car and clean and coat the inner portion as well.