XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Brake pad wear.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 05:01 PM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Brake pad wear.

I’m presently away on holiday touring around the Cotswolds. My XJ is booked in for its annual service and MOT next week July 2nd. The brake warning light has come on. Do you think I can ignore this until next week.
I’m assuming that because it is amber it’s an advisory warning because the wire which is embedded in the brake pad has made contact with the disk

Old 06-24-2018, 05:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Langstraat, you should be fine. The light comes on way before you should be doing any damage. As a quick check though since the sensor is only on one side of the car (not all 4 wheels), I would look at the rotors on all 4 wheels and see if you spot any signs of damage happening to the rotors. May want to see if you can reach in to the back side to run your finger across the rotor (make sure to do this before you drive the car, not afterwards, rotors will be very hot). if you feel any ridges, then not driving the car would be the wise thing. If all feels smooth, then you should be golden.

The following users liked this post:
Langstraat (06-25-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

It typically triggers with about 4mm of pad material left so in reality you have a few thousand miles of typical driving at least - and maybe more. There are two sensors - one on the rear right hand wheel (for rear brakes) and one on the front left (for front brakes)
Only get the pair that is needed done!
Also they will say they have to change rotors instead - ask them to measure and compare to spec. Typically they should last 2-3 sets of pads but seems like a waste to replace them if they are not yet worn

Old 06-27-2018, 07:50 AM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Brit cars, many thanks for that. My rotors and pads were changed to the front last year so suspect it’s the rear pads which have triggered the warning. It’s good to know it’s not critical whilst we’re touring round the Cotswolds and can wait until next week

Old 06-27-2018, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

If my memory is correct the minimum rotor thickness is stamped on the rotor edge.