XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Center console USB and cigarette lighter not working

Old 11-04-2018, 10:55 AM
Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Center console USB and cigarette lighter not working

Hi all,

My 2010 XJL S/C (X351) doesn’t seem to have power going to the front center console auxiliary ports (is this the right term?). This includes the usb, usb (iPod), and the cigarette lighter. Is there a common fuse that controls all of these? I’m hoping I don’t need to access the fuses behind the rear seats. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:36 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

For the front cigarette lighter, check fuse F63 in the central junction box. As for the USB port, that is powered off of the radio itself. So, that doesn't have a fuse associated with it other than what the radio has (you don't mention anything about the radio not working).

Taking a step back, the only commonality for these two things could possibly be a plug. But, unless you have been in the center console recently, a plug coming undone is unlikely.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Thermo. Based on your feedback (as my radio does work), I decided to retest all the plugs with another device and found that the USBs actually do work (embarrassing); the iPod I was using to test them was the problem. The cigarette lighter indeed does not work, so I guess that suggests I need to dive into the central junction box. Hopefully accessing it is easier than it sounds. Thanks again for your help.

All the best,

Nick

Old 11-05-2018, 03:16 PM
Received 179 Likes on 116 Posts

Remember when looking for the fuse that the cigarette lighter is only fitted with the smoking kit, the socket next to the USB / iPod sockets is the “front accessory socket” or similar.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the clarification, I don’t have the cigarette lighter. I just have the accessory socket.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:45 PM

Okay so the fuse was indeed blown, so I replaced it. I also checked all the other passenger and rear fuse box fuses with a multimeter for continuity. All are now good.

The accessory socket still still doesn’t work though. I noticed that it doesn’t look the same as my rear accessory sockets. Is this normal (see attached pictures)? Thanks!

Rear accessory socket

Front accessory socket

Old 11-09-2018, 03:17 PM
Veteran member

Nedoerr, what I would say to do is to take a multimeter and put it down the center of the socket and touch the brass ring in the center and then touch the other probe to any metal part of the body. Are you getting 12 VDC? If yes, then you have a bad socket and you are simply not getting a good connection with whatever device you are using. If you are not getting 12 VDC there, then what I think you are going to need to do is remove the fuse that you found blown. Then you will need to get your hands on a device called a wire tracer (can be had via e-bay/amazon for around $40). You can then plug in the one wire on the sounder part to the fuse holder in the fuse box on the downstream side (if not sure which side that is, let me know). You can then use the wand and follow the wire bundle. At some point, I would anticipate you loosing the tone that the wand is going to give you. Near where you lost the tone is going to be your problem (a broken wire). Might take a little bit of work to keep the want near the wire bundles, but if you do this, you can isolate it down to a very specific spot.

The following users liked this post:
Nedoerr (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 10:26 PM

Hi Thermo, thanks for the suggestion. I checked the voltage at the front accessory socket and there was none, suggesting a broken wire somewhere. I also noticed I could rotate the front socket many degrees without resistance, so I'm thinking the wire right beneath the socket could be the culprit. I'd like to peak at the wiring behind the socket before trying the tracing approach. Is there an easy way to get to these wires? Thanks again.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:23 AM
Veteran member

Nedoerr, what you are probably going to need to do is remove the trim from around the gear shifter/e-brake switch to gain some access. This is put in with friction clips. So, having a thin prybar is going to be helpful. Easiest way to explain where you need to separate things is to look on the edge of the center console and find where the trim meets the leather. That is the seam that will need to be separated. Get that coming apart and that should give you some room to access what you are after. If not, the rest should be pretty obvious as to what you will need to get to and remove.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:52 AM
Received 179 Likes on 116 Posts

This chap was fixing a different problem, but had to take the trim off and provided a step-by-step with pictures.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2/#post1978539

(You can obviously ignore the cupholder bits!)

Old 11-26-2018, 11:32 PM

Thanks Christ/ Thermo. I took apart the center console and didn’t see any loose wires. The wire terminal was also dead. So I guess I’ll have to trace wires at some point.

For future reference, it turns out you don’t need to take part the console to access the back of the usb/ accessory socket. You can pry gently on the top of the rectangular (usb/accessory port) panel with a flat head screwdriver. There are two little indentations (hard to see without the console removed) for this purpose. Then you can wiggle it out to see the wires behind.

However I took full advantage of removing the console and was able to remove the “sticky button” goo from next to the nav screen with the panel off. I also vinyl wrapped the metallic plastic parts of the console to look like carbon fiber. I’ll post pictures of this in a new thread.

Thanks again!