XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Chances of x351 becoming a classic soon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 02:02 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Chances of x351 becoming a classic soon?

Just read this:

Is Jaguar Preparing To Ax The XJ?

If say the XJ is discontinued, how many years would it take to for the x351 to become a classic considering so few are sold and they've stopped making them?

Old 07-16-2017, 04:12 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That rumor has been going around awhile. I've also heard that Jaguar will remain committed to their flagship, and there was a photo of a new design for 2019.

The fact is this car is a niche automobile and will never be a volume leader for Jaguar. They must balance the cost of redesign, retooling and expected revenue to reach a decision whether to keep this model.

Alternatively, Jaguar could keep the current x351 chassis longer. The Series III lasted 19 years, 1968-1987, so there is a precedent. Today's auto buyers will not be happy with an older design. Audi is having trouble moving new A8s because of 1. Price and 2. 7 year old chassis.

I have owned both a 2012 Audi A8 Base and now a 2013 XJL Portfolio AWD. The A8 was a very good car, but I like the XJL better in terms of comfort and handling. My hope is that Jaguar does not let the XJ wither on the vine.

As for future collectibility, the unique design of the x351 will add to that. But I sincerely doubt it will be an immediate collectible. My guess is 15+ years down the road values will begin to increase, in a measured way.

Last edited by TNJohn; 07-16-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:42 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It won't be a classic for as long as I intend to own mine - and that's going to be 5-10yrs as a guess.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:21 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I doubt it ever will be considered a "classic". It is a nice car now but it looks very similar to all of the other large sedans in its class and not like Jags of the past that had a unique look compared to other cars of the same era.

I also seriously doubt it will keep running long enough to be a classic. I think they will eventually break so many parts that they aren't worth fixing or the parts simply aren't available. Tata is interested in selling new cars. They care little for cars that have already been sold. Jag already doesn't distribute many parts to secondary makers. Expect to see 95+% of XJs in junkyards at some point.

Don't get me wrong I love my Jag, but I am a realist. When the warranty is up I will probably be looking to dump it.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

there's no way Jaguar will discontinue their flagship.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by JagGate
When the warranty is up I will probably be looking to dump it.
I only consider buying them when the warranty is up, as I fail to see why any sane person would entrust work to a garage or a dealer

Old 07-17-2017, 04:19 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I doubt it ever will be considered a "classic". It is a nice car now but it looks very similar to all of the other large sedans in its class and not like Jags of the past that had a unique look compared to other cars of the same era.

I also seriously doubt it will keep running long enough to be a classic. I think they will eventually break so many parts that they aren't worth fixing or the parts simply aren't available. Tata is interested in selling new cars. They care little for cars that have already been sold. Jag already doesn't distribute many parts to secondary makers. Expect to see 95+% of XJs in junkyards at some point.

Don't get me wrong I love my Jag, but I am a realist. When the warranty is up I will probably be looking to dump it.
That's a bit pessimistic. The body style is unique - I can spot an XJ 200 yards off, but I cannot distinguish a Mercedes S Class from a Hyundai.

As far as reliability, Jaguar is better than most. Of the four Jaguar I've owned, none have given me trouble beyond expected maintenance. That includes a 1987 XJ6. An Audi and a Lexus were a royal pain, but I do not hold it against the makes. There are a couple independent Jaguar parts suppliers out there who will continue to provide parts for the x351 should Jaguar decide not to, but I find that implausible.

Considering the aluminum architecture, these cars should stay on the road for while. 95% in junk yards? Hardly...

Old 07-18-2017, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by TheBoy
I only consider buying them when the warranty is up, as I fail to see why any sane person would entrust work to a garage or a dealer
Will you be in the market June 2018?

Old 07-18-2017, 06:26 AM

Will you be in the market June 2018?
Maybe... ...but the steering wheel has to be on the proper side of the car

Old 07-18-2017, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 468 Posts

IMHO 30 years. Maybe more, maybe not so much to be considered a "classic", but to be considered a "collectable classic". Discontinued production has made no impact on the X150'S to date, so I suspect the X351's fate will be similar initially.

I speak from experience on discontinued models. My 1996 X305's have been in the stable for 12 years now and while most are in excellent to showroom condition for the mileage they are worth no more at 21 years old than they were when I purchased 12 years ago. They only produced 249 badged XJ12 and '96 was the last year. It does not look like any other sedan of that era unlike the X351's. It will be another 10 years or so before the value will be such to be able to move them on at a reasonable profit from purchase price. Which after 20 years of ownership will not even come close to what has been invested in each one to keep in running condition.

I see an even tougher road for the X351's. Don't get me wrong I think they are a wonderful car.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by TheBoy
Maybe... ...but the steering wheel has to be on the proper side of the car
Ha ha yes you want it on the "right" side and sadly mine is on the "wrong" side.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by TNJohn
That's a bit pessimistic. The body style is unique - I can spot an XJ 200 yards off, but I cannot distinguish a Mercedes S Class from a Hyundai.

As far as reliability, Jaguar is better than most. Of the four Jaguar I've owned, none have given me trouble beyond expected maintenance. That includes a 1987 XJ6. An Audi and a Lexus were a royal pain, but I do not hold it against the makes. There are a couple independent Jaguar parts suppliers out there who will continue to provide parts for the x351 should Jaguar decide not to, but I find that implausible.

Considering the aluminum architecture, these cars should stay on the road for while. 95% in junk yards? Hardly...
It is actually very similar to the Hyundai. I don't think the Aluminum adds anything and in fact might cause long term issues as it has already been seen that some of the cars are prone to aluminum "rust". With today's paint processes for cars, rusting out is not a big concern anyway. That the rest of the car's components fail is.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

If they want to sell more XJs, they should go with something like the Bertone B99 concept. That's what a proper 21st century Jag should look like. Let the XE and XF be German segment copy-cats for the masses. The flagship of the fleet should be unique and set apart. The design of the B99 allows for the leaper to return, which could be a feature unique to the XJ.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:37 AM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

interesting, i think the consensus is not any time soon

Old 07-19-2017, 12:41 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The length of production runs and the time modern cars are on the road in good working order have made the classic timeframe on this car probably 25 years minimum from the last year it's produced. And I doubt it will ever be a collectors car, but only a classic based on age. Prob 2040, lol. Also theres nothing really iconic or game changing about the vehicles produced right now. The 50-70 classic car era is special for a reason as it was the beginning of many unique and exciting styles and models. I love the X351 but I see it more as becoming just a really nice old car if kept in good running order than a true value increasing collectors car. But who knows?

The following users liked this post:
JagGate (07-19-2017)