XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Changing starter on 2011 XJ NA

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 11:46 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Changing starter on 2011 XJ NA

Hi all, I'm getting a click but no crank issue that seems to be a common thing with these cars. I have changed the battery and tried to start with jumper cables attatched from another running vehicle, I'm about to check relay but with the click, my thought is the starter itself.
Has anyone here changed one by thereselves? I had a look but no specfic guide or video seems to exist showing the location and removal procedure.
Any hints, tips and general advice will be welcome, thanks.

Old 05-05-2022, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,284 Likes on 1,797 Posts

It's not common at all? Do some searches very little starter problems posted.
If it was common there would be repair videos and forum postings on how to do the repair. Your not finding that.
What does that tell you?

Old 05-05-2022, 12:19 PM

The click no crank is common. i'm trying to get a head start on every scenario, the starter going bad on a 2011 car is probably the most mechanically invasive I can think of at the moment.. I've seen this problem before on Ford cars, caused by incorrect flywheel ring material wearing down and the resulting dust being attracted by the magnets in the starter and seizing it up. That was on a much younger car. my experience tells me it is a possibility, that's why I posted , to get feedback on others experience.

Old 05-05-2022, 03:18 PM

Update, Diagrams where unhelpful so empied the trunk and traced the biggest wire. Goes to a distribution strip on the inside lip of the trunk and the biggest wire coming from that was via an open circuit mega 200A fuse. I'm guessing it's going to the starter as it's the biggest wire, but the electrical diagram shows a 400A?
Also there is a low ohm reading to ground despite the ignition off and battery disconnected. I can only guess that the solenoid isn't releasing on engine start which, as it's tied electrically to the generator/alternator, it could be the root cause of the other electrical issues. I have a new starter ordered along with an alternator. Gonna replace that fuse and see how it goes from there.

Old 05-01-2024, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar xjl

Originally Posted by apllrd
The click no crank is common. i'm trying to get a head start on every scenario, the starter going bad on a 2011 car is probably the most mechanically invasive I can think of at the moment.. I've seen this problem before on Ford cars, caused by incorrect flywheel ring material wearing down and the resulting dust being attracted by the magnets in the starter and seizing it up. That was on a much younger car. my experience tells me it is a possibility, that's why I posted , to get feedback on others experience.
hello I was wondering if you go through with changing your starter on your jaguar? If so i it fix the problem that you was having