XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2011-up xj v8 reliability

Old 02-08-2019, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011-up xj v8 reliability

Hey I’m looking to get into the brand I’m looking at the 2011 and up v8 xj to about 2013 . My question is how reliable are they yes I’m aware the European cars are more expensive to run , my options are an xj / Lexus LS 460 and Mercedes S550 strictly between these vehicles but I find myself gravitating to the Mercedes and jaguar . SO with the vehicle looking at approaching 110,000 miles and up do you think the xj is a good option ? I’ve driven all three

Old 02-08-2019, 10:58 PM
Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

I’ve owned the Lexus LS400 and a XJL s/c. They are very different cars. The Lexus was very reliable (I sold it at 220,000) with only the AC going out. It also retains its resale value well. The Lexus floated down the highway silently, but lacked driver engagement.

The Jaguar is much more fun to drive, looks better, and more unique. However it is also less reliable. There are known issues with the water pump, sunroof rust/ popping sound, slow infotainment system, and worn down supercharger isolator pulley. But the engine and transmission are strong as long as you change the oil frequently, and don’t drive any farther if the car is overheating (stop immediately and get towed).

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a used XJ that has no sunroof issues, meticulous maintenance records, changed the water pump recently, replaced suspension components (bushings/tie rods...etc), and passes a pressure test.

If I didn’t prefer driving the Jaguar so much, I would own another Lexus.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Nedoerr
I’ve owned the Lexus LS400 and a XJL s/c. They are very different cars. The Lexus was very reliable (I sold it at 220,000) with only the AC going out. It also retains its resale value well. The Lexus floated down the highway silently, but lacked driver engagement.

The Jaguar is much more fun to drive, looks better, and more unique. However it is also less reliable. There are known issues with the water pump, sunroof rust/ popping sound, slow infotainment system, and worn down supercharger isolator pulley. But the engine and transmission are strong as long as you change the oil frequently, and don’t drive any farther if the car is overheating (stop immediately and get towed).

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a used XJ that has no sunroof issues, meticulous maintenance records, changed the water pump recently, replaced suspension components (bushings/tie rods...etc), and passes a pressure test.

If I didn’t prefer driving the Jaguar so much, I would own another Lexus.

thanks for the info ! If I don’t end up with the super charged it would be the regular 5.0 v8 is that the same engine ? My main concern is oil leaks and drivetrains weaknesses

Old 02-09-2019, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

The main differences between SC V*s and NA V8s is in the heads are different as they use different camshafts. One more thing to note is that some owners have had to replace the injectors, IMHO, due to using cheap gas that is not Top Tier rated.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:38 AM

According to my independent jaguar repair shop, they only see two main reasons for engine repair. One, not pulling over if the car over heats. Two, in some (read few) of the engines of customers who only replace their oil every 15k miles. Though I also completely agree about not buying cheap gas. You need the detergents in the tier 1 gas. In fact many members clean their injectors by adding BG 44K to their fuel once a year.

Looking through all my car history, I personally have nothing related to engine or transmission repair. I have a water pump, a fuel pump, infotainment module replaced, & sunroof repair. I do also have some of the sticky buttons, but am slowly cleaning those off.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:45 PM

Okay this all good info these are issues I’m willing to put up with / keep the info coming I think I’ve made my mind up to get the xj , I am the type of person that keep a car for a long time you know / do the super charged versions have any issues with the super charger ?

Old 02-09-2019, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Except for the water pump, 5.0L SC engines are very reliable but you MUST use the correct specification engine oil. Oil is cheaper than an engine, so change the oil before the 15,000 mile or 1 year, whichever comes first, factory recommendation.

You can change the oil yourself, as the filter is on top and there's a separate tube inside the oil filler tube to attach a pump to extract the oil. You'll save at least $100 over what the dealer charges. See your Owner's Handbook for details of the oil to use. Don't settle for anything else.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:39 PM

The supercharger itself is fine, though there is an isolator pulley in the supercharger that usually needs replacement around 100k miles. Many describe a sound like marbles clanking around. There is a ~$500-$600 kit that is purchased to do the job. Additionally the labor is 5-6 hours according to the technical service bulletin.

Once that is done I don’t think the problem returns (correct me if I’m wrong anyone). While it’s out, many take the opportunity to change other hard-to-reach hoses...etc. Mine isn’t due yet, but probably will be in the next year or two.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,210 Likes on 1,750 Posts

The biggest thing is an expensive car gets no cheaper to repair as it's market value declines.
Can you DIY the repairs? If not all of those cars will be expensive.

We have pretty much all the answers/problems documented on these forums.
But I have to question buying these types of cars at 110K miles?

Get a 2013 and up XJ. You DO want the 8 speed tranny!

Old 02-10-2019, 10:41 AM

I think the 2013 is a good suggestion, as the sunroof and infotainment systems were fixed by then (if I remember correctly). Not sure if/when they changed the s/c isolator pulley to have the metal lining that should make it last longer, but they may have done that in the newer cars too (anyone know this?). The water pump seems to be constantly upgraded, so no point in worrying about that. Only thing is you are unlikely to be under warranty, at least for very long.

If you keep your cars a long time then there is no need to consider residual resale value of the car, it will not be worth much in 5-8 years. I would agree owning used luxury cars isn’t cheap, but still much cheaper than paying the hefty depreciation costs of the early owners. I would set aside $4500 for any unforeseen instant repairs the first year (brakes, tires, suspension, and other surprises). After that, I plan $2500 per year in maintenance. If you get a 2014 or newer, get a CPO with the longest extended warranty possible. I have never heard of a person regretting the longer warranty.

If you are a DIYer, costs can be much cheaper. I decided, for example, to always do my own brakes and leave most else to a good Jaguar independent shop. This saves > $1500 every couple of years.

The following users liked this post:
Unclereggie (02-11-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 09:00 PM

Yes these vehicles will be purchased at above 100k miles and kept pretty much until it doesn’t run