XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Convince me to buy an XJ

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 09:41 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Convince me to buy an XJ

Let me start by saying the nearest Jag dealer is 1.5 hours away.

1.5 years ago I bought an XKR sight unseen without ever having driven one. I immediately fell in love and have gotten into some DIY work on it.

I've been looking for an AWD sedan because I recently moved to upsate NY from GA and I'm now thinking of buying an XJ short body AWD 2014 with 54k miles, but have never driven one - I hope to find one nearby that I can drive before I buy, but if I cant, convince me why I should buy an XJ (as opposed to an Audi A7 or similar AWD). Thanks!

Last edited by digband; 04-03-2019 at 03:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
oldrover (04-13-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 03:36 PM

Anyone? Maybe some things you love about your XJ that other cars don't give you? Reasons why you think it's a great vehicle? Special features/options/aspects that you especially appreciate?

Old 04-03-2019, 03:43 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

I am Jaguar fan/loyalist so I'd buy one just based on that. I have never driven an x351 so can't give you any insight on this particular generation.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:57 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

digband, to convince you should take nothing more than looking at your XKR and knowing that you are getting something as good, if not better.

With the vehicle that you are looking at and not knowing the year of your XKR, it is hard to give you hard and fast "this is better than ....... and worse than ....." comparisons. But with that said, here is what I can tell you:

1) the AWD system is going to be hard to beat if my RWD XJ is any comparison. I can go just about anywhere between the power of the engine and the snow traction control. Unless you plan on going into deep snow, this car will do what you are after.
2) depending on how the roads are in your area, you will probably want to stick with 19" wheels. Having done some work up in the Rochester/Oswego areas, I know your roads are not necessarily the best. Having the smaller rim will help guarantee you don't damage a rim and will also help with a better ride.
3) my previous car was an X-Type (AWD) and with knowing how my RWD XJ corners, an AWD XJ would be a blast to start throwing around in corners
4) if you are looking for the acceleration of the XKR in the XJ, I don't think you are going to find that. With that being said, the 350ish HP that the supercharged V6 makes is more than adequate for the car. It will definitely allow you to pass just about anything you want. But for the sheer launch factor, the XKR is going to be better
5) how many people do you plan on having in the car a majority of the time? I ask this as the rear seat of the XJL can be optioned out from mild to wild. A basic XJL is going to just have seats that are heated/cooled, not much more. If you do some looking, you can also get airline trays for the rear occupants, a cord free headphone setup for movies, and in some cases, even reclining seats. Granted, the more "toys" that you put in the rear, obviously the price goes up accordingly. IF you are set on the XJ, then ignore this. The big benefit of the XJL is that you get 6 more inches of rear leg room over the XJ. For older people and for overall ride comfort, this can be a big deal.

Not sure what more to tell you. This is kinda one of those things that you just have to take a leap of faith and go to where the car is, take it for a drive, and go from there. You will not be disappointed in the ride and performance.

If you are wanting AWD and the performance of the XKR, then I would tell you to find the XE-S and take that for a drive. I drove one and it was atleast as quick (if not quicker) than my XJ and since I was on a closed track, I was able to push the car to its limits. It maintained great traction, even when being hammered coming out of a tight corner. Granted, the XE is a midsize car as compared to the XJ being full size. The XE rides a little rougher, but it also had a sport suspension. Granted, you can turn on dynamic suspension in the XJ and stiffen it up to help with the cornering.

In case you are curious as to why I own an XJ, it was a promise that I made to myself as a kid for "when I make it". Well, I made it (retiring for the first time at 38). I am by no ways disappointed with the car. It will get you lots of looks and the ride is very nice. When it comes to working on the car, there is still a lot that you can do. We even know a few tricks to get around some of the limitations that you think the car may have (ie, rear brakes for example).

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
JaxR. (04-11-2019), oldrover (04-13-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 04:49 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

The 2014 XJ is a good year as it is more mature than the earlier model years (like my 2010). Lots of little things were improved by then. 2015 XJs are slightly better still, but there is the added price to contend with. The car itself is very fast, beautiful, and pretty unique. I’m a little biased, but I don’t think Audi carries the same prestige as Jaguar. Porsche is more comparable.

As Thermo points out if you do buy it stay on the forums to stay up to date with “real world” maintenance suggestions and tricks.

Best of luck with your decision.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:11 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Nedoerr
The 2014 XJ is a good year as it is more mature than the earlier model years (like my 2010). Lots of little things were improved by then. 2015 XJs are slightly better still, but there is the added price to contend with. The car itself is very fast, beautiful, and pretty unique. I’m a little biased, but I don’t think Audi carries the same prestige as Jaguar. Porsche is more comparable.
Indeed on everything, especially the unique part. Just saw an x351 pass me on the Interstate. The car looks like nothing else on the road especially from the rear with the nice wide stance. The only thing I am not a fan of is the C pillar fastback design. Despite being almost a decade old the car still looks very modern.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:24 PM

Thanks a lot for your responses.

Thermo - my XKR is a 2009 convertible – it’s the replacement for a Triumph Trophy motorcycle that I crashed from being hit by a deer last year, and is a summer only toy for me (and my wife/kids). I have a sporty family sedan that we take on our road trips and the XJ would be an AWD replacement for that, so I certainly don’t expect or need it to have the same level of handling and performance as the XKR (but need some sportiness!). One thing I’ve read on this forum is that some folks are getting up to 34mpg on the highway with the XJ from the aluminum body and V6, so that’s great.

My XKR is a portfolio and I like the extra options on the XJ L portfolio, but my kids are only 6 & 8 so I don’t really need the extra 5 inches of leg room right now, and also, I have the smaller 2nd bay of our 3 car garage and at 207 inches with the long body, that thing would barely fit with any room to walk behind it! I suspect the small body should have plenty of room in back for the rugrats and their road trip gear.

I’ve read that the AWD system is pretty much RWD until the traction requires torque to the front – apparently with the winter mode button on it forces a 70/30 rear/front split, but can go up to 50/50 as needed by road conditions – this seems like the best of both worlds with RWD performance but AWD traction when needed in winter. Up here in Syracuse, we get some winter storms where you visit a friend with clear roads when you get there, and come out a few hours later with a few inches of snow – I just want to make sure the next car I get will be better than just the FWD I have now.

Regarding the roads and tire size, the car I am looking at has 20s, and I agree and would prefer 19s due to roads and a softer ride. I’m a bit concerned about this – I guess I could spring for 19” rims and tires, but that’s quite an expense.

Curious, what do you mean by this: “We even know a few tricks to get around some of the limitations that you think the car may have (ie, rear brakes for example).”? What’s the limitation with rear brakes?

Nedoerr – I did look at some 2015 models but to your point the price jumps, but are there notable improvements that you think make it worth it to bump up to 2015, and if so, what are they?

Old 04-03-2019, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Originally Posted by digband
... convince me why I should buy an XJ (as opposed to an Audi A7 or similar AWD). Thanks!
We both have 2009 XKR Portfolio convertibles.
I also have a 2013 XJ 5.0L SC. It's RWD and a blast! I can't decide which Jag I enjoy more.
I'm still in Georgia, you're not. Too bad. Been there, done that in NJ.
You're now in upstate New York, where convertibles hibernate in the winter.
Depending in snow depth and road conditions, your winter daily driver needs AWD/4WD. If you can't see yourself in a beater or SUV 4WD/AWD for commuting, then a CPO 2014 XJ is a great choice and is more reliable than the comparable German luxury sedans. There are lots of threads extolling the virtues of the XJ AWD.

Even if you decide to get the XJ, I'd still buy a cheap 4WD SUV to get around on those really bad days rather than risking someone skidding into your XJ. It all depends on the hills and how well the roads are plowed.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:25 PM

Thanks a lot for your responses.

Thermo - my XKR is a 2009 convertible – it’s the replacement for a Triumph Trophy motorcycle that I crashed from being hit by a deer last year, and is a summer only toy for me (and my wife/kids). I have a sporty family sedan that we take on our road trips and the XJ would be an AWD replacement for that, so I certainly don’t expect or need it to have the same level of handling and performance as the XKR (but need some sportiness!). One thing I’ve read on this forum is that some folks are getting up to 34mpg on the highway with the XJ from the aluminum body and V6, so that’s great.

My XKR is a portfolio and I like the extra options on the XJ L portfolio, but my kids are only 6 & 8 so I don’t really need the extra 5 inches of leg room right now, and also, I have the smaller 2nd bay of our 3 car garage and at 207 inches with the long body, that thing would barely fit with any room to walk behind it! I suspect the small body should have plenty of room in back for the rugrats and their road trip gear.

I’ve read that the AWD system is pretty much RWD until the traction requires torque to the front – apparently with the winter mode button on it forces a 70/30 rear/front split, but can go up to 50/50 as needed by road conditions – this seems like the best of both worlds with RWD performance but AWD traction when needed in winter. Up here in Syracuse, we get some winter storms where you visit a friend with clear roads when you get there, and come out a few hours later with a few inches of snow – I just want to make sure the next car I get will be better than just the FWD I have now.

Regarding the roads and tire size, the car I am looking at has 20s, and I agree and would prefer 19s due to roads and a softer ride. I’m a bit concerned about this – I guess I could spring for 19” rims and tires, but that’s quite an expense.

Curious, what do you mean by this: “We even know a few tricks to get around some of the limitations that you think the car may have (ie, rear brakes for example).”? What’s the limitation with rear brakes?

Nedoerr – I did look at some 2015 models but to your point the price jumps, but are there notable improvements that you think make it worth it to bump up to 2015, and if so, what are they?
I agree with 19” wheels. I have 20” ones and they bend more easily and have less tire wall to absorb imperfections in the road.

Make sure that fuel economy is from US members as our gallon is smaller than the U.K. gallon (3.8L vs ~4.5L). Hard to believe that high a number is possible without it being the U.K. gallon.

The 2015 will likely have a newer water pump and a newer supercharger isolator. They should just last a little longer before requiring service. But your savings on the 2014 will more than make up for the cost of these future services.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:04 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

digband, when it comes to the rear e-brakes, they are electronic. So, it knows how far it needs to move the e-brake to set it. When you put on new pads, this distance changes. Normally what ends up happening is you have the new pads backed out too far and the e-brake system can pull the cable the full distance and still not engage the e-brake. The car would see the full e-brake pull as a failure and throw up a warning light. Normally, you would need a special computer to connect to the car to tell the car that you just worked on the e-brakes and to recalibrate itself. The car would then pull the cable up to 5 times to adjust the rear calipers so the e-brake would be set properly. We have learned that if you disconnect the battery, this forces the car to do that calibration. So, no computer needed. The other trick that I have used is you use your thumb to do an initial setting of the caliper. This will get it close enough that the car will accept it.

Kinda like I have been doing some playing around and few a few hidden menus in the car. How useful they are is questionable.

digband (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 09:21 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

I have owned a 2015 Jaguar XJL AWD for a almost 2 years and it had 0 problems and I have drove it about 19,000 miles. I bought it with 7995 miles. It is the most fun car I have ever owned. I love the way it drives and handles and really enjoy the beautiful interior. Love the leather, wood and the attention to detail of the interior. I don't know what it is like where you live but here in the Raleigh, NC area everybody wants a German car and they are about as common as cockroaches and rats. It is enjoyable to have a quality car that not everybody else has.I would say one of the most surprising attributes of the car is its handling. The big kitty will really get down a twisty road. I ride high performance motorcyles on the street and the track so I really appreciate a good handling machine. The V6 is a great motor. You just have to be willing to rev it a little more than a V8.

oldrover (04-13-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 09:46 AM
Received 179 Likes on 116 Posts

Test drive one. You will be convinced

In fact don't test drive one if you have other options in mind, because after a test drive you will no longer have a choice.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:11 PM

MV Rider - your color combo is the exact same I am looking at - absolutely love it! Are those the 20" wheels? Do you find the ride to be a bit hard on 20s for a sedan? I expect my XKR to be a bit stiffer being more of a "sports car" - I don't expect a sports sedan to be a plush and cushy ride, but I don't want the wife and family getting jolted by every bump in the road - isn't there an air suspension setting that adds more comfort? Oh, and I read that all 2014 and later have the soft close doors standard - does anyone know if that's true? The salesman said he didn't remember noticing the mechanical auto-close when he inspected the car for me. I do plan to have a mobile mechanic check the car for me so this is on my list for him to verify, but thought I'd ask. Also, the one I'm looking at has the massage seats - I assume the massage is on both driver and passenger seat right? Wife will be happy if she has this! Is there a button on the console I can see that confirms it has the massage seats?

Last edited by digband; 04-04-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...Also, the one I'm looking at has the massage seats - I assume the massage is on both driver and passenger seat right? Wife will be happy if she has this! Is there a button on the console I can see that confirms it has the massage seats?
The massage function can be accessed via the display in the console just where you find the heated seats function.
So if you have the massage seats you will see the software buttons on the screen saying "massage start/stop".
I also have them on my XJ and I really love them. My wife, too. . So yes, massage is on both driver and passenger seat.

Last edited by dr.snooze; 04-05-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:42 PM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

MV Rider - your color combo is the exact same I am looking at - absolutely love it! Are those the 20" wheels? Do you find the ride to be a bit hard on 20s for a sedan? I expect my XKR to be a bit stiffer being more of a "sports car" - I don't expect a sports sedan to be a plush and cushy ride, but I don't want the wife and family getting jolted by every bump in the road - isn't there an air suspension setting that adds more comfort? Oh, and I read that all 2014 and later have the soft close doors standard - does anyone know if that's true? The salesman said he didn't remember noticing the mechanical auto-close when he inspected the car for me. I do plan to have a mobile mechanic check the car for me so this is on my list for him to verify, but thought I'd ask. Also, the one I'm looking at has the massage seats - I assume the massage is on both driver and passenger seat right? Wife will be happy if she has this! Is there a button on the console I can see that confirms it has the massage seats?
Mine has the 19" wheels and it rides quite nice in the comfort mode and tightens up in the dynamic mode. They have air suspension in the rear but it is not adjustable separately by itself. I am sure it is stiffened up when you push for the dynamic mode. Mine definitely has the soft close mode on the doors. Mine has the rear seat package so it has heated/cooled and massage in the rear seat also along with recline and fore/aft adjustment of the seat. It rides very comfortably like a big sedan should until you put it in Dynamic mode. Mine is an XJL and I don't regret it even though I am usually the only one in the car as you don't really notice the extra length but it does come in handy when you do carry passengers.

digband (04-06-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Yes, soft-close doors became standard equipment on the XJ beginning with the 2014 model year.

digband (04-06-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 01:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me start by saying the nearest Jag dealer is 1.5 hours away.

1.5 years ago I bought an XKR sight unseen without ever having driven one. I immediately fell in love and have gotten into some DIY work on it.

I've been looking for an AWD sedan because I recently moved to upsate NY from GA and I'm now thinking of buying an XJ short body AWD 2014 with 54k miles, but have never driven one - I hope to find one nearby that I can drive before I buy, but if I cant, convince me why I should buy an XJ (as opposed to an Audi A7 or similar AWD). Thanks!
I love my 2014 XJL. It's a special occasion Everytime I drive it. For Upstate NY, you will need AWD. However, I am on Long Island NY and my RWD XJL traction control did amazing this winter, granted, I avoid driving my precious XJL when it's snows alot. For better handling, get the XJ, But the rear leg room is small for such a big full side sedan, for kids, it's fine. My XJL has amazing leg room, I love it , but it feels like land yacht, you feel the body roll, but Im ok with that, it's a mini limo. I'm not into spirited driving, I drive slow in my Jag.

If all possible, get an extended service contract BEFORE you buy the car, you will get a better rate. Rates can go from $3k to $7k, so shop around. There are several companies, so shop around and do your research via the BBB website. Pick an EXCLUSIONARY or an elite, premium coverage, "bumper to Bumper" that covers "almost" everything ....... Except what their EXCLUSIONARY list says it doesn't cover. Unfortunately, the XJ V6 and V8 WATER PUMP have a high failure rate, not all, but many do, look what happened to mine Jag XJL at just 32k miles, YouTube video :
. SHAME ON JAGUAR, such a stylish car , a work of art, and they choose a poor quality water pump. It's inexcusable for a modern car water pump to fail within it's 100k miles, specially for a car I obsessed over maintanance, and driving with care and grace. Thank God my extended warranty covered it. Or check the CarFax, if it's shows the water pump was replaced by a Jag dealer, go with that one. The Coolant outlet pipe is made of a "Tough" looking plastic pipe, instead of the common coolant "thick, tough" rubber hose, unfortunately the factory "tought" looking coolant plastic pipe have a high failure rate and cracks in many cases, it did in mine, so make sure the extended warranty or service contract covers hoses in case of 'failure'. My big cat is too nice, so I didn't mind, I knew what I was getting myself into.

I cracked two of my 19" wheels this winter, so don't even think of 20" wheels in NY bad roads. Florida, yes :-)

For the class, No other car will make you feel special like The XJL. I don't care mines hasn't been perfect, but the S class, , A8, 7 Series also have their issues as all high-end flag ship sedans due to the high tech and ground breaking "engineering".

Last edited by Mr5Stars; 04-06-2019 at 01:18 AM.
oldrover (04-13-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 08:00 AM

Mr5Stars - thanks for your reply. As far as the water pump, the car fax report says it was replaced in 2016, so that's good. Is this something that has to get replaced every XX thousand miles, or once it's replaced, it should be good to go for a long while? How much does it cost to replace with parts and labor? When it fails while driving like that does it cause other kinds of catastrophic engine issues that I should be worried about buying a used XJ?

I will definitely get AWD as this will be the only car I use throughout winter. In summers I will swap between this and my XKR when my wife wants to be driving the convertible. But the fact that you cracked 2 19" rims is a bit unnerving. My XKR has 20" and I haven't had any issues yet, but I am very careful about potholes. I'm considering passing on the car I am looking at and finding one with 19s.

As far as the long wheel base, I do think the kids would appreciate the extra space, but it literally would barely fit into the smaller 3rd garage bay I use, so it's not really an option for me. I'm surprised to hear "But the rear leg room is small for such a big full side sedan" - I think I definitely need to find one close by and drive/experience it first. I could go to the dealer in Rochester, but all their XJ models are new and I don't feel OK asking to test drive a new $90k car that I don't intend to buy.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:54 AM

The XJ is heavier than the XKR, perhaps that is why the rims bend/ crack easier. I have bent my 20” rims, it’s annoying but fixable. Though bending/ cracking 19” rims is less common.

I also thought the standard rear seat room was a bit short, so I opted for the XJL. It is tight in my garage as well; I pull within an inch of the front wall. The kids like the rear space. Car seats make their legs stick out, so even though kids are small they use a lot of room. I also like that it is harder for them to kick the rear seats. I also have the rear entertainment, which is invaluable with kids. No fighting over iPads.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi "digbag"

I dont think you have to worry about the water pump if it was replaced in 2016.

According to this Forum (comments about the Water Pump in XJ) Jaguar released several updated versions of the water pump. The latest version is part number AJ813909. As a Jaguar fan, I hope common sense and brand pride motivated Jaguar to improve the new version of the water pumps.

WATER PUMP parts and labor $1700, NY Long Island.

Water Pump failure while driving should not cause other engine problems IF YOU STOP and turn off the engine as soon as possible. In my case, I was less than a mile from my friend's house, i checked the tempature gage and parked in front of his house while waiting for the tow truck. No damage, but its best to stop the engine. You will ruin the engine if you keep driving it with a bad water pump..... It will overheat and your engine will be ruined.

All Ultra Luxury Sedan in this Class have "issues" ...... Bemmers,Benz, and even Lexus V8 , so dont let this issue deter you, very likely the one you get will have no water pump issues.

Go with 19" rims, It was bad luck landing in a crater of a pothole, checkout the bubbles , top of pic, near rim..... All these Sedans now have these great looking low profile tires, bit in the real world, they are terrible on real roads, but there is nothing you can do here in the USA. In India, you can get them with uglier 18" rim, but I am sure it's a better ride and better on real streets. I personally don't care about handling, I care about comfort, and pot holes isolation, I am never going to race this beast or go thru corners and turns fast....this car is too cool and big for that :-)

Quick Reply: Convince me to buy an XJ