XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Convince me to buy an XJ

Old 04-07-2019, 11:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey people, buy more Jaguars

Old 04-08-2019, 05:35 AM
Received 179 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr5Stars
... Go with 19" rims, It was bad luck landing in a crater of a pothole, ...
Ditto!

Last edited by christ; 04-08-2019 at 05:39 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:36 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been in the same boat for many years now. Got used to a 2007 Lexus LS-460 that I've purchased brand new and kept for 9 years. Sold it, thought about the XJ and all the reliability horror stories gave me pause (water pump, sunroof issues, etc). Then I've purchased a brand new 2016 SRT Challenger. Excellent car, lots of fun, very reliable. I just sold it and now I'm on the fence between a BMW M6 Grand Coupe with competition package and a XJL Supercharged. I test drove the M6 and it's a rocket ship. Is it even fair to compare these two cars? XJ seems to be more plush and luxurious but the interior features are similar. The M6 is insanely fast though.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I‘d say M6 Grand Coupe and XJL are different cars and hard to compare. On the other hand you see far to many BMWs and just a few Jaguars. So why would one want a BMW when you can have a Jag?

Old 04-09-2019, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

If I would buy any BMW it would be an Alpina B7

Old 04-09-2019, 01:54 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I narrowed my search to 2 cars, the 650 Grand Coupe and the XJ, and obviously i went with the XJ. i just enjoyed being in the XJ that much more. It felt like it had more soul or something. The BMW was a very nice businessman's vehicle, very serious and German. The Jag just feels more pleasant on the inside, more welcoming. The interior is worlds nicer. BMW stopped designing interiors in 1997. The BMW might be more of a drivers car or performance sedan, but i like to think of the Jaaaag as the gentleman's muscle car. The Top Gear segment and that Motortrend comparo above are absolutely spot on with their feedback about the XJs.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:13 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Maybe_XJ
I've been in the same boat for many years now. Got used to a 2007 Lexus LS-460 that I've purchased brand new and kept for 9 years. Sold it, thought about the XJ and all the reliability horror stories gave me pause (water pump, sunroof issues, etc). Then I've purchased a brand new 2016 SRT Challenger. Excellent car, lots of fun, very reliable. I just sold it and now I'm on the fence between a BMW M6 Grand Coupe with competition package and a XJL Supercharged. I test drove the M6 and it's a rocket ship. Is it even fair to compare these two cars? XJ seems to be more plush and luxurious but the interior features are similar. The M6 is insanely fast though.
The 5.0sc engine is so powerful that you can easily tune it to >600bhp. This way the speed and power would immediately off your buying checklist. Just compare the rest.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default if you need convincing.........

If you need convincing to buy a Jaguar XJ, maybe you shouldn't. If you don't get a sense of magnetic draw to the car or don't feel a great sense of appreciation for it maybe its not for you. Go get a Mercedes, BMW or Audi, there are thousands of those out there...…...

Should I buy a Jaguar XJ...…

The following users liked this post:
roviw (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 11:23 AM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Well,
I bought my Lunar Grey XJ 8 years ago and during that time have done enough miles to circumnavigate the globe four times.
I've had the opportunity to try other models whenever ever trusty steed was in for a service and on each occasion when I’ve got back in the XJ confirm that there’s never been a close comparison.
Yesterday I took delivery of a Silver 3.0d XJ. Quieter, quicker, nicer. A beautiful car.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:30 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

So I traveled 1.5 hours to the nearest city that has a used XJL Portfolio for sale and drove it a couple weeks ago... a few thoughts:

- when the car first started up there was a pretty loud clicking sound from the engine that salesman said was the direct injection GDI - did a search here and found a few folks saying they hear this sometimes, too, so I won't worry about it - forgot to listen if it was still apparent after the test drive - my 2012 sedan is GDI and I don't hear any engine clicking
- the car seemed quite long to me, but my current sedan is 192" and the XJL is 207", so that's understandable and also why I am looking at the base 202" model and not the L model
- the drive was fabulous; just like my XKR, it has that kind of Jag feel that I don't get from any other car - and so smooth - I was thoroughly charmed by the ride - and even though it had 20" wheel, I didn't feel like the ride hard or stiff - I figure since I have an XKR which is smaller and very nimble, I don't need a sedan that's "flickable"
- the car is just as gorgeous - inside and out - in person as it is in photos - the interior was plush, but as someone else noted, the back seats are very deep which is great for adults, but my 6 & 8 year old kids' legs will stick out - they'll just have to deal with it if I get one - I do wish the base model had the same automatic rear window shades that the Portfolio has - great for long trips with the kids

All that said, I was thinking about what someone mentioned earlier in the thread about having something a little more winter-friendly since this would essentially be the car I drive when I share the XKR with the wife in summer and through the winter, so I am considering an F Pace - but, the F Pace models I really want are double the price of the 2014 XJ's I was looking at... so there's that... I guess I can't wait a few years and get an F Pace at a lower price, by an F Pace now and spend more, or buy the XJ and trade it in a few years for an F Pace...

One question for you - the XJ I am looking at was apparently a Canadian car - it has ~50k miles, clean car fax (water pump replaced), 1 owner and I would have it inspected by a mobile mechanic before purchase (it's 1500 miles away) - anything special I should consider (or have the mechanic check out) about the car coming from Canada? Much thanks.

@waggybeast I don't truly need convincing - I'm already a Jag fan - this thread was a way to get some people engaged to tell me your favorite aspects of driving and owning an XJ to help me understand the experience...

Old 04-21-2019, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,131 Likes on 3,378 Posts

digband,

If you buy a SWB XJ 5.0L SC, you'll be asking yourself "which do I enjoy more, my XJ or my XKR?" I know because I still ask myself the same question, and I always have the same answer. It's the XKR on nice days with the top down, and the XJ on the other days. They're both gorgeous and great, but in different ways. You already know the XKR driving experience.

As for the XJ driving experience, mine has a split personality; it's Beauty and the Beast in one. On one hand, if you drive it with an imaginary raw egg under your right foot, it's a luxurious, gorgeous, quiet and comfortable ride fit for the Queen, that oozes quality with acres of leather and wood veneer in the proper English tradition. The Meridian Surround Sound system is orchestral and among the best in the business. On the other hand, if you lose the egg, engage Dynamic Mode and mash your right foot to the floor, it is scary fast with gobs of low-end torque that's overkill in city driving. So, who needs all that power? No one, until you drive it and then you want it!

The XJ is not for someone who views a car as merely a means to get from Point A to Point B. But if you value driving as a fun experience including the pride of ownership of a uniquely beautiful design with performance that exceeds expectations, the XJ is for you.

The road of life is short, so enjoy the ride!

Stuart

Old 04-22-2019, 03:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My winter tires are on 19" rims. I recently changed to my 20" sommer tires. I cannot feel any difference yet and 20" rims fit the XJ so much better.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:34 AM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I’ve had my replacement 2018 XJ for a few days now and am impressed with the changes from the 2011 model. It’s quieter, smoother and quicker. I’ve noticed that the steering is a tad firmer but no doubt I’ll get used to that. I shall have to go back to the dealer in the week and have them walk me through the sat Nav set up. It took several attempts to pair to my iPhone but eventually it sorted itself out,
i didn’t need any convincing to get another XJ, when I happen to see another XJ on the road that’s when you realise and appreciate its inherent beauty, a real announcement.