XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2011 XJ Rear Window Auto up help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 07:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2011 XJ Rear Window Auto up help please

Well I just purchased a 2011 XJ and already am experiencing my first problem. I went to take to get an oil change at a local (long story why) but anyways they had a hard time reseting the service required light and tried disconnecting the battery. After some time another fellow came and helped out and hooked up a computer to the car and reset the warning...BUT, my auto up feature in all the windows wasn't working. I did some research and figured out how to reset thought and now all windows work up and down in auto but, the rear passenger window doesn't.

The rear passenger window goes up about half way and then comes right back down, after about three attempts the window going half way up and down by itself it will finally go all the way up. I tried researching this and just can not find a fix to this problem.

Has anyone had this problem and found a fix? Please help!!

Old 04-05-2019, 01:04 PM

Anyone??

Old 04-05-2019, 02:41 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

i have the exact same issue. Ive tried what everyone has suggested, making sure the window seals arent dried out and all that jazz, nothing works consistently. I also did the reset procedure you referred to, and everything works properly except the passenger side rear. That one eventually fails again. The dealer wasnt much help in this case, but i never really pushed the issue, since it still goes up and down, i dont think my ext warranty will address the auto function. Ive learned to live with it and do the reset every so often.

Old 04-05-2019, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Disconnecting the battery caused your windows to lose their memory. Before doing the reset procedure, make sure that your battery is fully charged. Be sure to connect the negative (black) terminal of your battery charger to a chassis ground, and not to the negative battery terminal. Otherwise, you can damage the battery monitoring module. Since 3 of your 4 windows are working properly, they don't need to be reset again.

Reset the rear passenger window again, using the switch on that rear door. First, hold that switch fully up for 5 seconds with the window in the fully closed position. Then lower that window fully down while continuing to hold the switch down for 5 seconds. This resets the electrical resistance reading learned by the door modules.

If that doesn't fix it, repeat the reset procedure using the switch for that window on the driver's door.

If that doesn't work, refill your wallet and see your Jaguar dealer.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Disconnecting the battery caused your windows to lose their memory. Before doing the reset procedure, make sure that your battery is fully charged. Be sure to connect the negative (black) terminal of your battery charger to a chassis ground, and not to the negative battery terminal. Otherwise, you can damage the battery monitoring module. Since 3 of your 4 windows are working properly, they don't need to be reset again.

Reset the rear passenger window again, using the switch on that rear door. First, hold that switch fully up for 5 seconds with the window in the fully closed position. Then lower that window fully down while continuing to hold the switch down for 5 seconds. This resets the electrical resistance reading learned by the door modules.

If that doesn't fix it, repeat the reset procedure using the switch for that window on the driver's door.

thanks I will try that to.

Old 04-06-2019, 12:46 PM

Tried that as well and nothing. Same problem , window goes up and comes back down by itself after half way and after three attempts the auto up feature stops working and window will roll up all the way it you have to hold the switch. If I roll it back down as is it will do the same thing go up half way.

I live In AZ so do t really drive with the windows down at all with our extreme hot weather. Only time I roll down windows is spring time and fall. But still not that much. Our springs and falls are pretty hot too.

Guess ill I’ll live with it until I find a user fix. I’m guessing the dealership will tell me I need a new switch or acuator. And charge up the wazoo. I do have warranty maybe this would be covered.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:16 AM

I was doing some experimenting to see if there was any rhyme or reason to when this works and when it doesnt. Ive sorta determined that if you press auto down, to get the 2" gap, and then auto down again to go all the way, when you try to auto up/manual up, it kicks back down again.

However, if i manually put the back window down all the way, so just hold the button, and i try auto up/manual up, it actually seems to work 90% of the time. But then it intermittently has the issue again.

I honestly dont think its the actuator or the switch, cuz the window works otherwise, and in opposite directions. My dealer tried to blame it on the tint, which is ridiculous of course, but I didnt have the patience at the time to fight it. My passenger side from sometimes has the issue too, but far more often and usually the 2nd try works.

British quirks i guess.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:19 PM

Yeah this so weird!!!! I don’t think it’s the Actuator either because it does go up and down and the window was fine until the battery was disconnected. I think there’s probably a simple fix but yet to find one. It seems like maybe recalibration but I thought that’s what the raise your window and hold for 2 seconds and lower it and hold for 2 seconds did, at least it did for all the other windows.

This is is more of a pain!!!!! I really hope someone chimes in with a fix

Old 04-25-2019, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Riccixj
Yeah this so weird!!!! I don’t think it’s the Actuator either because it does go up and down and the window was fine until the battery was disconnected. I think there’s probably a simple fix but yet to find one. It seems like maybe recalibration but I thought that’s what the raise your window and hold for 2 seconds and lower it and hold for 2 seconds did, at least it did for all the other windows.

This is is more of a pain!!!!! I really hope someone chimes in with a fix
When i do the rest, it seems to help it for like, one or 2 trips, and then it goes back again. I agree though, sometimes its super annoying. Like when I auto-close everything else, but that ******* kicks back down, and now the car is going WOMP WOMP WOMP from only 1 window being open.

Its a stupid pain in the *** to have, but a pain in the *** nonetheless.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:02 AM
Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S

I did read yesterday from another member that these cars will do some really funky things when battery is below 12.6v

Old 04-26-2019, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Also just for info you know that the XJ service light can ONLY be set with a OBD tool. Either the dealer SDD or one of only a few aftermarket scanners.
So don't let anyone disconnect the battery or try to tell you holding certain button's down will reset it. It won't.

This is different from all other Jaguar models where you can use the car itself to reset the light. Just another strange Jaguar engineering decision.