XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Cruise control shuts off while set !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cruise control shuts off while set !!!!!

2011 XJL Standard engine. Ordinary cruise control (not the upgraded one) will randomly shut itself off while engaged. Does anyone know if Jaguar needs to make a sensitivity adjustment or whatever? I told Service writer about this when I took it in for software updates. It came back with a "could not duplicate" on work order. This could be a real difficult fix due to the random nature of problem so any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Have not experienced this and have used the cruise control a lot.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:13 AM
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you still having this issue or was it ultimately resolved to your satisfaction by the dealer some how? Unfortunately, it happened to me a few times last night on random bumps in the road but it is not something that can be easily replicated on demand for a dealer to troubleshoot.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

...that's why with every new Jaguar XJ, they are giving free cameras, so like me, you can spend half your day with your finger on the point and shoot button getting ready to take video - otherwise, no one believes you.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't used cruise that much but, problem has not come back. Now, although I love the car, it seems there are electronic gremlins. The other day I parked car for about 10-15 minutes. When I restarted it there was no sound from radio. Since the electronic upgrades this has not happened. Drove home, parked car. Next morning all is well again. Who knows?

Old 06-26-2011, 10:36 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had my cruise turn itself off on a drive today, but it was after hitting the expansion joint of a bridge at 70 mph. Fairly substantial jolt. I presume this is a safety feature and not a bug since I use cruise a lot and this has never happened before. Stay tuned.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have wondered about this myself. It only happens when you hit a substantial bump (roads in my state are awful). I though this might be a safety feature as well and have not mentioned it to my dealer as yet.

Be interested to hear what the real story is.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I havent had mine turn off thought I havent hit a hard bump. Plus I am driving waay to fast to feel comfortable having it on often.(Gotta love Germany) Though I have found that it will not bring the car to a complete stop if traffic stops. It will say something like driver control required or something like that. I was playing with it one day and almost rear ended somebody because it didnt stop the car. But in its defense it never said it would.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had it happen on bumps that I would not consider "substantial" also, although rarely, so I'm not sure about the validity of a "safety feature" angle. You would think that one of the jag techs on here would have chimed in by now if it was an official "safety feature" and I assume it would be present on the current XF and XK model lines also.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MDabney
I've had it happen on bumps that I would not consider "substantial" also, although rarely, so I'm not sure about the validity of a "safety feature" angle. You would think that one of the jag techs on here would have chimed in by now if it was an official "safety feature" and I assume it would be present on the current XF and XK model lines also.
I'm certainly no tech, and it very well may be a bug, but it "makes sense" that if your car is jolted, say from a rear-end bump, or gets T-boned, or you leave the smooth road surface for any reason, that the cruise control should shut off to avoid a situation where you continue previous speed in a situation where your control of the car is under question. But even if it is a "feature" rather than a bug, I agree it shouldn't be shutting itself of for minor road bumps, or especially for no reason at all.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Was at the dealer for something little yesterday and asked them about the cruise.

He said they'd have to order a part. So there is a fix and they know about it.