XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Difference in 2012 and 2014 XJL

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 06:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference in 2012 and 2014 XJL

I am in the process of looking at buying an XJL Portfolio. The contenders now are a 2012 and a 2014. I have been trying to figure out what, if any, major differences are between the years besides the price. I believe 2015 was when a major change occurred but I am not sure. I am trying to decide it it would be better to expand my search for a 2015 to get better technology.

Thanks!

Old 08-27-2017, 07:59 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Tazzberry, between 2012 and 2014, not a lot changed when it comes to the interior and body lines. So, from that point of view, there is not a lot to consider there. Where the change happened was under the hood/bonnet. In 2012, you had essentially 2 engines to choose from: naturally aspirated 5.0L engine or a supercharged 5.0L engine (few variants of it). In 2014, you had 2 engines to choose from: 3.0L supercharged V6 or a supercharged 5.0L V8. It seems to me that they completely got away from a naturally aspirated motor for the car in 2014.

Since you live in the New England states, this is where a second big question has to be answered: do you need AWD? If you are saying yes, then this really only leaves you one option: 2014 XJ with the 3.0L engine. AWD was not offered back in 2012 (first offered in 2013) and the AWD system is only offered with the 3.0L engine (granted, a birdie awhile back said it may be coming out in the near future with the 5.0L engine). So, if AWD is a must, this makes your decision pretty easy. If you are not that worried about AWD, then this leaves you a lot of choices.

Oh, one thing did just hit me for an interior difference. The 2012 is more likely to have the upgraded rear entertainment system along with the airline trays and seat options (reclining seats, 4 zone A/C, etc). Starting in 2013, the rear seat upgrades kinda went away and were not put in many vehicles.

As for stepping up to 2015, not much was changed between 2012 and then. It was in 2016 that all the upgrades got installed. Then you are looking at LED headlights, different taillights, the radio got some improvements, and more of the like. Nothing really when it comes to the body and engine.

As I see it, you really have 2 choices to make:

1) do you need AWD?
2) do you need 345 hp (3.0L), 385 hp (N/A 5.0L) or 470/510 hp (S/C 5.0L)?

The following users liked this post:
Tazzberry (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 08:26 AM

This is where the two diverge. The 2012 is RWD and a 5.0L AJ-V8 DOHC 32V Gen III. It doesn't have the updated entertainment backseats. The 2014 is AWD, 3.0L V6 24V Supercharged, and Osmium Blue (the color I really love). The price difference is significant however.

My preference is the 5.0L AJ-V8/SC with AWD which means I keep looking. It's the Osmium blue or Crystal blue that is extremely difficult to find. I have always had RWD so driving that in the winter is something I could do. I have always had extremely heavy cars though. My current is a 1988 Chevy Caprice. She's a tank. The XJL is very light in comparison so I am not sure how a RWD will be in NE winters. That is what makes me question the 2012. It was originally sold in Buffalo and stayed there. So maybe it isn't as big of an issue.

Another question - is there an issue with alignments in these cars? The 2014 has been aligned every single year. That seems excessive to me. It has had the water pump replaced which I also see was an issue with these cars.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:28 AM

question - is a naturally aspirated engine better or worse?

Old 08-27-2017, 10:26 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing to look for when purchasing a XJ in your neck of the woods is under body corrosion. While the structure of the car is aluminum, the subframe components, fasteners, brake line components, etc. are steel and will corrode. I purchased a beautiful, 11k mile 2008 XJ8 that was always garaged in Buffalo. Everything steel underneath the car was badly corroded.
In 2013, the XJ's suspension was tweaked for a better ride and the stereo was changed from Bowers and Wilkins to the current Meridian system.
There was also some reported problems in the 2011 and 2012 with the roof making a popping noise in certain conditions. Good luck with your search.

Tazzberry (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

I'm pretty sure that AWD is not available with the 5.0L engine.

The most significant differences between the 2012 and 2014 models occurred with the 2013 models, which introduced the 8-speed transmission, Intelligent Stop-Start system, and a choice of Meridian Sound systems. I'm pretty sure that the rear tray tables eliminated the wood veneer that was available in 2012 were dropped. Soft-close doors were introduced in 2014 and I think the speedo display was updated.

Hope this helps.

Tazzberry (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Originally Posted by Tazzberry
That depends - better or worse than what or for what purpose? The V6 is SC only.

Reliability? Both should be equally reliable since the SC engine was designed with stronger internal components. Bottom line depends on how you drive and maintenance.

Fuel economy? Compare the EPA Fuel Economy ratings by model year engine size (na or sc), body (swb or lwb), transmission (6-speed or 8-speed), AWD or RWD.

Driveability? The normally aspirated 5.0L has an accelerator pedal. The supercharged 5.0L has an exhilarator pedal! Drive both and decide what's best for you.

Tazzberry (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 02:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Tazz, like was said, the 5.0L motor (N/A or supercharged) never came with the AWD system. It has been talked about, but never released. So, if you are waiting for that combo, you are going to be waiting a long, long time unless you have some mad fabrication skills. I had someone high up in Jaguar when I was in London for the Feel XE event tell me that Jaguar was thinking about attaching the AWD system to the 5.0L supercharged engine. BUt, the engine was going to be slightly de-rated (limited to 458 hp as I recall). So, that is telling me that the transfer case is the weak link and can't handle too much power. Granted, that is way over what the 3.0L engine puts out. Besides, from what I have learned with the X-Type (it suffers from a weak transfer case), it isn't so much the horsepower as it is the torque that can be generated by the engine/transmission when getting off of the line. A low first gear and a high power engine create some real serious torque numbers which can be hard on any driveline component.

I have driven my XJ (2012, RWD) in the winter which is much milder than what you get since I live in Southern Maryland. It does pretty good, but nothing like what my AWD X-Type did. So, there will be a difference, it is a matter of how good of a driver you are.

I would also recommend taking the 2014 for a drive and see what you think of the Start-Stop feature. Some people love it, some people hate it. Just keep in mind that if you think you can turn it off so you don't have to deal with the continuous starting/stopping of the engine, you will need to hit the button every time you start the car. Just think about that and if it will be an issue. There is no legal way to deactivate the Start/Stop feature. This is not something the dealership can turn off for you.

Tazzberry (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 03:42 PM

Even though I was born with a lead foot, I need a car that can handle any kind of weather. I travel a lot for work and I might be somewhere that I need to get home in the snow. My driving is going to increase next year, so the old Tank will have to be retired. I can always take my husbands F150 if I know snow is coming but he needs something to get him to work. Exhilarate will happen no matter what Jaguar I am in because - well IT'S A JAG! tee hee So if's a choice between safety or super speed, safety wins. (That's why I have always driven massive cars). This will be the smallest car I have ever owned.

Thanks for all the input. I wish I could have both. This discussion has helped me focus a bit on what I need and want. I think I would be happiest with the AWD 2014. Gonna have to go test drive it this week. Luckily it's not too far away.

I rent a lot of cars and that stop/start feature gets irritating after a while. It depends how long it takes to start up again. I have been in some that I wanted to get out push it to get it to start again. If it's fairly quick then I could live with it.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by Tazzberry
The advantages of the v6 include better fuel economy, avoidance of extra taxes on motors over 3.0L in certain markets, and better performance of the start-stop system given fewer cylinders with lower compression ratio. While its a few less ponies, there's aftermarket potential to tune those ponies back in. The torque curve, or how much power you have available at certain RPMs gives each a little different driving characteristics. Some people complain that the v6 is not quite as smooth as the v8. It certainly doesn't make the same intoxicating exhaust note, but does have the supercharger whine sound. Drive one of each to see what you like personally, but those issues may not matter to you.

The only critical disadvantage is in higher potential repair costs. The supercharger and its supporting components is an added level of complexity, certainly the supercharger itself is very expensive and often much of it must be removed to get to anything else that might break. I've always bought cars out of warranty but done all my own maintenance and repairs at home, and therefore I went for the relatively simpler n/a v8 (same engine in the XF). If I were going to buy an extended warranty and sell it when the warranty ran out, then the potential for higher repair costs would be of little or no concern.

If you are going to drive in winter, then a newer v6 with AWD may override all other considerations. Many Jaguar owners have a "winter beater", an old Subaru or such and wouldn't subject their Jaguars to salty roads anyway. Maybe keep the Caprice and throw some sandbags in the trunk for that kind of weather.

Last edited by pdupler; 08-27-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Tazzberry (08-28-2017)