XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Driving away without the key fob

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 08:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driving away without the key fob

Anyone know how far will the car let u drive away without the key fob being inside the car? I don't really want to test it but it's not clear in the manual either. I thought it would make sense to stop the car after a certain distance away from fob but don't want to test it on my own 90k. Just wondering if they built in some kind of anti theft setup that's not disclosed in booklet.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure what your experiment is about but I can't even start my car without the key fob in my pocket.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The word on the Mercedes system some years back was that it would allow full use for 10 minutes without the fob then kill the engine as soon as the car was stopped after the 10 minutes elapsed. this was promoted as a vehicle recovery system in case of a car jacking.

I have not heard any specifics on the Jaguar system, but I doubt it would allow unlimited fobless driving. I guess someone could remove the fob and drive around a deserted parking lot for a while and see what happens. Just make sure you don't venture too far from the fob or have someone hold it that can bring it to you if the car quits.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,477 Likes on 7,450 Posts

My wife had a 2008 Nissan Altima. I inadvertantly kept the keys in my pocket when I got out of the car at a doctors office. I drove there and we switched. She got about 150 feet away in a parking lot before the dash lights came on and was able to drive a 1/4 mile away to park the car. She could not lock the doors or close the windows. She had to walk all the way back (unhappy is an understatement) get the keys and go back to the car, then come all the way back to the office. In hot weather...
WARNING::::: Don't ever never never never let someone drive off with this type of keyless ignition..

Old 08-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Well whoever tests this, post the results here, cause it isn't gonna be me...lol

Old 08-29-2011, 03:56 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I know that a valet can at least park the car without the fob because I have walked off with it it my pocket and when I came out of the restaurant I was asked for it. I'm sure once the engine is turned off it will not restart.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cigar Guy
Well whoever tests this, post the results here, cause it isn't gonna be me...lol
Me too!

Old 09-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Obviously you need the key to start the car... but once it's started, you can drive as far as you want without the key inside the vehicle... you just can't lock it or start it again once you get where you are going. As someone else said, I've had many a valet come inside a restaurant looking for me.

Unfortunately to answer your question, I found out the hard way since my wife had my key in her purse... she got out... forgot to give me the key... I drove 8 miles give or take and then realized that I didn't have the key. Luckily, I didn't stop the car and went back and got it.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by New2Jag
Obviously you need the key to start the car... but once it's started, you can drive as far as you want without the key inside the vehicle... you just can't lock it or start it again once you get where you are going. As someone else said, I've had many a valet come inside a restaurant looking for me.

Unfortunately to answer your question, I found out the hard way since my wife had my key in her purse... she got out... forgot to give me the key... I drove 8 miles give or take and then realized that I didn't have the key. Luckily, I didn't stop the car and went back and got it.
Does it give you a warning that the key is not in the car?

Old 09-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Does it give you a warning that the key is not in the car?
Message center displays "Smart Key Not Found, Place As Shown".

Old 09-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not much valet parking in my area but this means give the key fob to the attendant right?

Old 09-04-2011, 11:54 AM

It will tell you that the smart key is not found... But you can still drive away without the key. However, when you get to where you are going and turn the car off... You are stuck - you can not lock the car or restart it.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dochands
Not much valet parking in my area but this means give the key fob to the attendant right?
It's common practice to just leave the fob in an open cupholder when you get out of the car--most valets know this. I do this when I go to the car wash as well.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by New2Jag
It will tell you that the smart key is not found... But you can still drive away without the key. However, when you get to where you are going and turn the car off... You are stuck - you can not lock the car or restart it.
I guess if there is message that the smart key is not found, then it would be a good idea to check for it before driving off? Seems that this would keep you out of trouble.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:26 AM

^Yeah - if it tells you every time... which mine did not (my older one that was replaced).

Old 04-09-2013, 06:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be an older thread, but I figured I would sign up and reply since I have driven away without my fob. Went out one cold morning in January and started the car to warm it up a bit. Went back in the house for about 5 minutes and set the fob down on my desk. Went back out and got in the car and drove 10 miles to my destination. I have an 2013 Audi A6 and it shuts itself off when you open the door. As soon as it shut off I realized what I had done. Too late! Car was off and the key was 10 miles away at home. Got a ride back to the house and once the locksmith showed up (house key is on fob too) I went in and got my fob. Lesson learned, double check that you have your keys before you leave the house!! The car gave me no warning that I saw. By the way, the lock on our house locks by itself when you close the door.