XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Faulty Car imported

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faulty Car imported

Hey guys,
I have bought a Jaguar Xj 2013 model from japan, it states motor starts but engine doesn't so needs repair. Anyone cane across this issue and know how much it would cost me to fix it aprox. Cheers

Old 09-08-2018, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

I'm a bit puzzled by your description of the problem. Am I correct that when you press the START button and simultaneously press the brake pedal you can hear the starter motor cranking the engine, but the engine doesn't start and run? If so, then there is no quick and easy answer to how much it will cost to fix it.

You need a qualified Jaguar technician with the proper diagnostic equipment to assess and diagnose your car and provide you with a repair estimate including parts and labor. The cause of your problem can range from being a simple, inexpensive fix to catastrophic engine damage that would cost more than the car is worth. More information is necessary to give you a more specific answer.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I'm a bit puzzled by your description of the problem. Am I correct that when you press the START button and simultaneously press the brake pedal you can hear the starter motor cranking the engine, but the engine doesn't start and run? If so, then there is no quick and easy answer to how much it will cost to fix it.

You need a qualified Jaguar technician with the proper diagnostic equipment to assess and diagnose your car and provide you with a repair estimate including parts and labor. The cause of your problem can range from being a simple, inexpensive fix to catastrophic engine damage that would cost more than the car is worth. More information is necessary to give you a more specific answer.
sorry I don't have enough information about the car yet as its arriving on 11th this month. You're right though when start button is pressed it makes a noise of cranking the engine. Its being imported to compliance center so hopefully they are qualified enough to see whats wrong.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:31 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Randomized Channel, your problem could be something as simple as a bad fuse to the injectors preventing them from sparking the cylinders. That would be a $1 fix. Granted, if someone is selling the car, I would venture to guess that you are not going to get off that lucky. The most likely scenario that you are going to run into is the engine overheated and this warped the heads and/or block. If that is the case, then you are looking at about a $30K repair bill to get a new engine into the car. Unfortunately, there are no rebuild kits that I am aware of for the engine. So, you are either pulling an engine out of another car that was wrecked (still in the $10K range more than likely, if not slightly more) or buying an engine from Jaguar and paying to have that installed.

The first check I would do is a compression check. That will tell you if the block/heads are good or not. After that, I would get the codes read to see if you can get an idea of what happened to the car. From there, you will have an idea of what happened to the car and then an idea of what the repairs are going to run.

Old 09-09-2018, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Before doing a compression test, i would determine (1) if the battery is good; (2) if there is good spark at the plugs; and, (3) if fuel is reaching the cylinders.

Even less costly to fix than a $1 fuse is a loose ground that needs no replacement parts - just a turn of a wrench. I think it's premature to say that "the most likely scenario is ... overheated engine and.. warped heads and/or block." That would be the worst case scenario, but we're not there ... yet. Hopefully, that won't be the case. Let's wait for the diagnosis from a qualified Jaguar technician.