XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Infotainment

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infotainment

Have 2016 XJL the info unit would not work on head unit told service thet tryed updating went into error, going on its 5th module" whatever " that is the car has been inservice going on 5 weeks. Now they tell they are sending back to Jag corp in NJ to try to program it. They offered us "Dealer Facilitated Trade" not sure i want to do that. I own the car and paid cash i dont wnat to get taken by them

Skates325

Old 09-08-2018, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Did I understand you correctly that your dealer replaced the same module 5 times? Doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. Not only that, but also incompetence. Too bad there's no other Jaguar dealer nearby.

Why does your dealer need to ship your XJ to New Jersey? I think it would cost much less and take less time if Jaguar North America sent a Master Tech to Phoenix by air to diagnose and fix your car. That technician doesn't have to come from NJ; he could come from a closer location.

If that dealer is providing you with a free service loaner vehicle that is to your liking, then I'd tell them to keep it until they fix it.

Or, if you meet the requirements, you can pursue your legal remedies under the Arizona Lemon Law. See:
https://www.dmv.org/az-arizona/autom.../lemon-law.php

Old 09-08-2018, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

Stuart, I believe, that the issue is, when the updates are loading it does so in "modules" and before going to the next is has to complete that part of the update. To me it sounds like the update failed and bricked something and they have no idea how extensive the failure has effected other electronic components.IMHO

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 06:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

If the radio fails, replace the radio and move on. sounds like they are holding the whole car hostage over something that worst case they could pull from another car. reading into it a little bit, they may be only sending the radio back, not the whole car. This is where I think a phone call to Jaguar North America would be warranteed to explain the situation as i think this is well beyond acceptable.

The part that has me confused is why they are offering to swap cars because of what i would think is a fairly easy problem to fix, ie, replacing a single electronic component. The only thing I can think of is someone programmed the wrong module and the dealership has no idea what program got put into what module and they have made the car undriveable. Granted, i would think the dealership level computer could say what is good and what is not with simple checks. i have a feeling that there is a lot more to the story than is being said.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (09-08-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by bob hooley
Have 2016 XJL the info unit would not work on head unit told service thet tryed updating went into error, going on its 5th module" whatever " that is the car has been inservice going on 5 weeks. Now they tell they are sending back to Jag corp in NJ to try to program it. They offered us "Dealer Facilitated Trade" not sure i want to do that. I own the car and paid cash i dont wnat to get taken by them

Skates325
THEY are not send the car they are send the 5th module back to try reprogramming it in NJ. Thank everyone for the feedback.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Did I understand you correctly that your dealer replaced the same module 5 times? Doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. Not only that, but also incompetence. Too bad there's no other Jaguar dealer nearby.

Why does your dealer need to ship your XJ to New Jersey? I think it would cost much less and take less time if Jaguar North America sent a Master Tech to Phoenix by air to diagnose and fix your car. That technician doesn't have to come from NJ; he could come from a closer location.

If that dealer is providing you with a free service loaner vehicle that is to your liking, then I'd tell them to keep it until they fix it.

Or, if you meet the requirements, you can pursue your legal remedies under the Arizona Lemon Law. See:
https://www.dmv.org/az-arizona/autom.../lemon-law.php
we do have a loaner from dealership but its very upsetting. Someone did something trying to fix the problem. I will ask about Master Tech , good idea.
Thanks

Old 09-09-2018, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

You took it to the dealer for them to fix it, not screw it up. You should not have to pay anything to fix their mistakes. They should do this repair free of charge, as they caused you to be greatly inconvenienced and, as you said, greatly upset. That's the right thing to do. Otherwise, you will never buy another JLR product and will tell all of your friends and family about your negative experience. Keep that idea in your back pocket when it's time to pay the bill, and if you feel you've been overcharged talk with the General Manager about it.