XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Glove box and trunk lid oddities

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 07:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Glove box and trunk lid oddities

2011 XJL with low miles. Relatively often I come back to the car and the glove box lid has dropped open. Once or twice it has opened while in the car.

any adjustments to latch I can make?

recently I get a trunk lid not closed warning on the dash display but the lid is
firmly closed. Actuating it open and closed resets the warning.

again, any adjustments available?

Any insight welcomed! Thx in advance!
Don M

Old 02-29-2020, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,166 Likes on 3,392 Posts

See the Service and Repair Manual in the sticky at the top of this Forum.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...guides-222545/

Old 03-01-2020, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

First, always check your battery health as both of those could be electrical issues from low voltage and that is easy to check. Only if the issues persist after confirming a good battery do you need to look further.

I've not had a glove box latch fail on me, but I suppose it is possible for the solenoid to get gunk on the rear of the shaft so it might not be fully latching (dust and magic toe fluff gets everywhere). You can use the workshop manual instructions to remove the glove box and check it. It will be the 1mm silver shaft with a rubber disc crimped to it on the end of the latch mechanism nearest to the centre of the car. The disc should sit flush to the rear of the solenoid, if there is any gap then you have something trapped there. Otherwise check the plastic bit in the latch for wear and 'secureness' when not being powered. If everything looks ok, maybe the capacitive switch is the problem?

The trunk latch ajar fault is fairly common with age though, and requires a new latch. You may be able to get some more life from it by repeatedly latching and releasing it by pressing a screwdriver shaft into the opening and then pressing the external button over and over again, but it will always eventually need replacing. If you get any instance where it doesn't release first time then replace it immediately as the little bit of plastic that typically wears in these will be interfering with the mechanical operation and you could end up unable to release it even with the pull cable. (It depends where it has broken - only once on my X351s it has it broken with a piece detaching, all the other times (2 trunk and 7 door latches) it has been wear to the part that prevents the little sliding pin/cam from fully retracting, but it hadn't actually broken off anything). Ideally buy a brand new part C2D32699. Retail price (no discount) for export from the EU (not VAT) is £94.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:17 AM

Excellent advice on battery condition, this car is a DD of about 8 miles round trip daily plus local errands, none likely to adequately charge the battery well. Yesterday it got a healthy round trip of ~200 miles at better than interstate speed limit so waiting to see if the odd behavior subsides.

is the a way to see the system voltage on the dash gauges?

Old 03-04-2020, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

How old is the battery?

Old 03-05-2020, 06:24 AM

About 18 mo.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:27 PM

Put the car on charger when the glove box starts to drop open unasked. The charger reports battery at about 12.3 v and 70%. After charging cycle it is good for several weeks.

odd way to signal battery charge state but Jag knows best

Old 05-22-2020, 06:58 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,838 Likes on 3,156 Posts

Donm, if you want to check your battery voltage via the car, I can think of 3 ways to do this.

1) My personal way of doing it. Look on E-bay/Amazon/your favorite store and find a USB port device. It will fit in where the power point is in the car. It will fit in either the one up front or the one in the rear console (I have mine in the rear console). This gets wired into the wires for the power point. This gives you 2 USB power ports to charge your electronic goodies (the ports range from 500mA to 2A, so, pay attention to what the ports are rated for) and some of them have a volt meter in the middle of them to tell you what the voltage is at the port. You install it in a spot that you can easily see, you can keep an eye on the battery voltage. Here is an example of what I am talking about: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-QC-3-0...nN03zh2MADtqzg . There are many variations on this. So, find the one you like and buy. Super easy to install. If you need pointers, let me know.

2) Get an ELM327 unit and download the applicable program (whether you have an Android or an apple phone) and keep the Elm unit plugged in to the OBD port. That way, you can simply pull out your phone, open up the app and see what the battery voltage is that way. All you need to do is make sure that the car is turned on (engine running or not).

3) This is a little touch and go as I have not been able to make it do this consistently. What you need to do is to get into the car and close the door. Step on the brake pedal for 3 seconds. Release the brake pedal and then immediately depress the TRIP button on the turn signal stalk. Hold that for 3 seconds. While still holding the TRIP button in, press the START button to wake the car up. If things worked as they should, this will put the instrument cluster into a diagnostic mode and from there, you can release the TRIP Button and tap the TRIP button over and over until you get a screen that talks about the battery voltage. Like I said, it is not something that I have been able to make happen with an consistency. So, I would save this for a last resort. Worst case, you are going to reset your Tripometer back to zero. If you do get into this mode, to get out, you simply press the START button to either turn the car off or you can press the brake pedal and the START button to start the car. Either way, the instrument cluster jumps out of the diagnostic mode.

The following users liked this post:
Donm (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 08:22 AM

Hi Thermo,
thx for the well written reply. I’ll see where a convenient power point is and get a usb voltmeter. It’s not my car but I drive it with the owner to our office daily. She has the front console full of her “girl” stuff ) so probably look for a place in the back.
best regards, Donm

Old 05-23-2020, 07:35 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,838 Likes on 3,156 Posts

Donm, bottom passenger corner of the console. There should be a power point there to access. You can pop the rear cover of the center console off, undo a plug and the whole cover comes off (I don't have rear entertainment, so, my cover was fairly basic). I cut the plug off and added in 2 large spade connectors that fit on to the USB device (I want to say the connectors came with the USB adapter). Then it is just a matter of figuring out which wire is positive, which is negative. I think I spent a whole 30 minutes on the project. Being down in that corner, if you are driving, it will make accessing the plugs a lot easier. I leave a cord installed and just sitting between the front seats and the center console with the plug sticking out just the front of the seat. Makes for easy access but you are not tripping over it either.

Old 05-23-2020, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,775 Posts

I installed a digital volt meter in the center storage box cigar lighter that displays the voltage and has 2 USB charging ports. Only about $8 on EBay.
Just plugs in and stays there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Ports-...5Qz3KiSQL5nPKQ