XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

The Good! All better then I thought. Excellent Service Techs!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up The Good! All better then I thought. Excellent Service Techs!

Hello,
Yes I got a car which wasn't perfect. I also have owned Mercedes S, BMW 7, BMW X5 a Jaguar XJ years ago and many others. I feel I can compare well. Don't forget the infamous BMW iDrive debacle and lackluster Mercedes COMAND software. That was far from perfect.

At first I was very concerned about the initial problems and what I read here. I thought...here we go...will be aggrevating. But not so.

Now here is the good:
It seems none of the problems listed here are so major that a dealer with a WELL TRAINED AND TALENTED STAFF OF TECNICIANS can't fix them.

Total Service Visits: , Total days in shop: 3, Loaner: 2010 XF
Service Staff and Friendliness: Outstanding
Knowledgable staff: Very

Roof Pooping Noise: Yes, I had that. They did the TSB on it before I took delivery on the car. And no, didn't get it perfect the first time. Had some cold weather noises of all kinds in the roof. Now after second visit. ALL PERFECT. They really spend all the time needed to find every llittle noise in that roof liner and roof assembly.

Software: After first major upgrade (which they did before I took delivery of the car) with the voice command, all worked. But man...was that thing slow. Very sluggish. Not a real problem but kind of annoying and unsuitable for such a car.
Second upgrade they did (not sure what, changed some on the FM radio thing among other things) seems to made a BIG impact. The sluggishness is all but gone. No, not superfast or so, but normal and usable.

Little stuff: Loose door wood trim, missing little LED light in door handle, loose clip on back seat rest. All minor, all fixed perfectly.

And, NO you couldhn't even tell the technicians worked around in the car. No leather scratches, dirt or anything else. I am a perfectionist and I checked twice. They had been real professionals working in there.

In other words, if you got a car as an early adopter, VIN under 10,000 simply expect some minor things. Guess the assemply line isn't perfect yet. Neiter is the software.

But Jaguars reporting system from dealer to factory is excellent and the factory is closely listening to all issues reported back and are doing a lot to prevent them and update the cars already out. They are working hard to get a good JD Powers rating it appears.

Just for all the owners who are out there and a bit frustrated or dissapointed. Its not as bad as it sounds. It seems there are some dealers who have less talented or dedicated techs which seems to be the cause of some owners frustration. And, no, if you got a real lemon, well....that simply stinks.

But overall, after having had the car for 6 weeks, I would buy it again over the Merceds S I was initially in the market for and over the other competitors.

FYI, choose the right dealer. At first started shopping in Naperville and did not like the dealer at all. So I selected another Chicagoland dealer in Elmhurst IL despite them being 25 miles out of my way. I am very glad I did.

Hope that cheers some of you up who got dissapointed at first. I know how it feels. But now I am confident this car was a good buy.

Just from one car nut to another.

Last edited by gears; 12-09-2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Misstyped headline
Old 12-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gears
Hello,
Yes I got a car which wasn't perfect. I also have owned Mercedes S, BMW 7, BMW X5 a Jaguar XJ years ago and many others. I feel I can compare well. Don't forget the infamous BMW iDrive debacle and lackluster Mercedes COMAND software. That was far from perfect.

At first I was very concerned about the initial problems and what I read here. I thought...here we go...will be aggrevating. But not so.

Now here is the good:
It seems none of the problems listed here are so major that a dealer with a WELL TRAINED AND TALENTED STAFF OF TECNICIANS can't fix them.

Total Service Visits: , Total days in shop: 3, Loaner: 2010 XF
Service Staff and Friendliness: Outstanding
Knowledgable staff: Very

Roof Pooping Noise: Yes, I had that. They did the TSB on it before I took delivery on the car. And no, didn't get it perfect the first time. Had some cold weather noises of all kinds in the roof. Now after second visit. ALL PERFECT. They really spend all the time needed to find every llittle noise in that roof liner and roof assembly.

Software: After first major upgrade (which they did before I took delivery of the car) with the voice command, all worked. But man...was that thing slow. Very sluggish. Not a real problem but kind of annoying and unsuitable for such a car.
Second upgrade they did (not sure what, changed some on the FM radio thing among other things) seems to made a BIG impact. The sluggishness is all but gone. No, not superfast or so, but normal and usable.

Little stuff: Loose door wood trim, missing little LED light in door handle, loose clip on back seat rest. All minor, all fixed perfectly.

And, NO you couldhn't even tell the technicians worked around in the car. No leather scratches, dirt or anything else. I am a perfectionist and I checked twice. They had been real professionals working in there.

In other words, if you got a car as an early adopter, VIN under 10,000 simply expect some minor things. Guess the assemply line isn't perfect yet. Neiter is the software.

But Jaguars reporting system from dealer to factory is excellent and the factory is closely listening to all issues reported back and are doing a lot to prevent them and update the cars already out. They are working hard to get a good JD Powers rating it appears.

Just for all the owners who are out there and a bit frustrated or dissapointed. Its not as bad as it sounds. It seems there are some dealers who have less talented or dedicated techs which seems to be the cause of some owners frustration. And, no, if you got a real lemon, well....that simply stinks.

But overall, after having had the car for 6 weeks, I would buy it again over the Merceds S I was initially in the market for and over the other competitors.

FYI, choose the right dealer. At first started shopping in Naperville and did not like the dealer at all. So I selected another Chicagoland dealer in Elmhurst IL despite them being 25 miles out of my way. I am very glad I did.

Hope that cheers some of you up who got dissapointed at first. I know how it feels. But now I am confident this car was a good buy.

Just from one car nut to another.
Nice take on this--I agree completely (I'm also a major gearhead). It all comes down to the competency of the dealer's techs and their respect for an expensive piece of machinery.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  19.3 KB

Guys, thanks so much for taking the time to post this up, especially gears for the long and detailed info

Its all too usual for the nags , moans and imperfections to be highlighted and the good points / good service etc NOT to be mentioned.
A refreshing change and thanks so much for sharing.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my car and any minor things I have needed thus far have been addressed by the dealer. Little things like:
  • A "check spare tire air pressure" warning message at start up, FIXED
  • Windshield washer fluid not flowing, FIXED
  • I damaged a rim by clipping a curb, ugh!!, FIXED
I do think that the proliferation of information makes most things seem bigger than they are simply because issues can be commuicated in real time.

That said, I do appreciate getting the information because it helps me be on the lookout for certain issues.

At the end of the day for me though, no regrets and I am enjoying the ride.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Thanks for your taking time and touble to make this useful post , I am glad things are good for you
Have many happy trouble free driving