XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Did anyone exchange new 2011 xj because of all the problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Did anyone exchange new 2011 xj because of all the problems

with all the flaws, roof popping, nav,radio,bluetooth not working,now engine troubles.
Did anyone actually return your car to the dealer and did they give you a new XJ ?

Old 09-15-2010, 11:44 PM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not yet. They have the 3rd chance to fix tomorrow (and possibly final chance). Some big wig engineer from corporate will be in town to review. I'm told he can fix anything. For now, most things have been fixed, but the roof popping (my biggest gripe), a possessed rear window that won't stay closed, and the engine stuttering (though improved, is still an issue). Oh, they fixed my vanishing TFT, but yesterday it went out again, but this time for only about 5 seconds. I'm most concerned about the roof, becuase they seem to be totally clueless on this, and dealers who have fixed it, it has recurred again. Plus, all the other fixes have involved hooking the car up to a computer, and the computer figures it out and fixes it (though it breaks again at times), but the roof is a structural matter, and requires disassembling the headliner and other parts. I just don't like the thought of that, especially when they are just stabbing in the dark hoping something works.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by pwl
Not yet. They have the 3rd chance to fix tomorrow (and possibly final chance). Some big wig engineer from corporate will be in town to review. I'm told he can fix anything. For now, most things have been fixed, but the roof popping (my biggest gripe), a possessed rear window that won't stay closed, and the engine stuttering (though improved, is still an issue). Oh, they fixed my vanishing TFT, but yesterday it went out again, but this time for only about 5 seconds. I'm most concerned about the roof, becuase they seem to be totally clueless on this, and dealers who have fixed it, it has recurred again. Plus, all the other fixes have involved hooking the car up to a computer, and the computer figures it out and fixes it (though it breaks again at times), but the roof is a structural matter, and requires disassembling the headliner and other parts. I just don't like the thought of that, especially when they are just stabbing in the dark hoping something works.
what Dealer

Old 09-16-2010, 08:07 PM
pwl

I'd rather not say only as the problem has escalated to the point that I'm sure if/when they do this, they will require that I refrain from disclosing that they agreed to do so, as that wouldn't bode to well for them if others knew they did that. So I will rant and rave here, and let everyone know if it gets fixed. If it doesn't get fixed, I will likely "dissapear" from here, and you can logically assume then the matter was settled to my satisfaction. I will say, it is an East Coast dealer, major met area. Car is in the shop the 4th time now in 3 months, and just over 2,000 miles (only). The law is on my side on this one. They have have plenty of opportunity to fix this. If everyone got as "firm" as I have with this, I bet this problem would have been resolved for everyone by now. It's pretty much the last thing they haven't fixed yet. If they do, great...and hopefully nothing fails again. Otherwise, if you ever see me on the road, I will have a star, not a leaper.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:06 PM
pwl

Still haven't gotten my car back and will be kept over the weekend by dealer.....again...3rd time now kept. Time to turn up the heat.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:57 PM
pwl

Got mine back just recently so haven't tested it extensively yet. They basically told me they put bolts, spacers, blocks, cushions, and anything else one might find at the local hardware store to "rig" it (I bet they even used WD-40). Nice job jaguar on all the fancy "riveting" construction you extolled so much. I now have a $90,000 car with a roof courtesy your local "jim bob". I had a 65 falcon once that had problems with the throttle valve in the carburetor, and I fixed it by wedging a nickel down in there to hold it open all the time - it worked great, though I was at full throttle all the time. In any event, their "fix" to the roof brought back fond memories of my youth. Maybe I should have kept that car. Not nearly as nice, but the roof never made any knocking/popping.

Salt in the wound - they stracthed the underside of the roof glass.

Anyhow, even if it is fixed, the experience in dealing with this was horrific. Jaguar NA and the selling dealer taking a "sit and not respond" attitude to most of my inquiries.

My first and last Jaguar. I can't return to a car, no matter how good, at this price where they treat clients this way. It's not the problems a manufacturer might experience, it's how they respond to them. And Jaguar's response (and silence) was unacceptable. Ta ta Tata! Enjoy your temporary sales blip until the first time buyers go back to Benz and BMW.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pwl
Got mine back just recently so haven't tested it extensively yet. They basically told me they put bolts, spacers, blocks, cushions, and anything else one might find at the local hardware store to "rig" it (I bet they even used WD-40). Nice job jaguar on all the fancy "riveting" construction you extolled so much. I now have a $90,000 car with a roof courtesy your local "jim bob". I had a 65 falcon once that had problems with the throttle valve in the carburetor, and I fixed it by wedging a nickel down in there to hold it open all the time - it worked great, though I was at full throttle all the time. In any event, their "fix" to the roof brought back fond memories of my youth. Maybe I should have kept that car. Not nearly as nice, but the roof never made any knocking/popping.

Anyhow, even if it is fixed, the experience in dealing with this was horrific. Jaguar NA and the selling dealer taking a "sit and not respond" attitude to most of my inquiries.

My first and last Jaguar. I can't return to a car, no matter how good, at this price where they treat clients this way. It's not the problems a manufacturer might experience, it's how they respond to them. And Jaguar's response (and silence) was unacceptable. Ta ta Tata! Enjoy your temporary sales blip until the first time buyers go back to Benz and BMW.
S550 is still waiting for you at your local Mercedes-Benz dealer =)

Old 09-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a shame. I'm sorry you've gone through all that. Absolutely ridiculous.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by pwl

how is the car is the popping noise gone?

Old 10-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We thought that the new XJ was having problems, go to a Merc forum and check out their issues!!! Gearbox, electrical and suspension. Then BMW, there is a forum dedicated to BMW problems!!!! Perhaps it's us Europeans?

Old 10-07-2010, 06:38 PM

A friend traded his XJ for a merc s550.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:38 PM

Yeah i got a phantom.... xD i wish

Old 10-08-2010, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I wanna buy Ghost , hope I am not chasing the ghost lol

Old 10-11-2010, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by cadillac
I wanna buy Ghost , hope I am not chasing the ghost lol
LOL there was one at fort lauderdale collection last week, it's gorgeous on the inside but phantom looks better on the outside lol, but it'd be awesome if you bought one I'd prolly show off people saying my friend has a casper! i mean a ghost xD

Old 10-11-2010, 04:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by JagMaster
LOL there was one at fort lauderdale collection last week, it's gorgeous on the inside but phantom looks better on the outside lol, but it'd be awesome if you bought one I'd prolly show off people saying my friend has a casper! i mean a ghost xD

LOL, that was nice

I would put a decal as well :JAGUAR FORUMS SUPER MODERATOR On Board lol (joke )

Actually, I like to fly below radar

Last edited by Cadillac; 10-11-2010 at 04:54 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL, that was nice

Sure you do...

Old 10-12-2010, 04:38 PM

LOL, that was nice

Lol you would be admin on RR forums for sure

Old 12-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Unless you got a REAL lemon, the dealer has a lot to do with your satisfaction. In my case they wouldn't release the car (just arrived) until all TSB including roof pop is done. They did the same day.
Technically after only ONE service visit (although 2 1/2 days in the shop) they fixed EVERYTHING and more. The car is now BETTER then new.
Knowledgable, talented, well trained and dedicated techs are the key here, like on any other such high tech car. We are past the age of a simple mechanic. So after all my fears of having gotten a lemon, I am all happy as all is good now. Hope it stays that way.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:04 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pwl
I know your frustrated, but think about how frustrating it is for the people working on your car. We're not even 100% sure what is making these noises. Sometimes it takes numerous attempts to try and fix. Welcome to the world of being an automotive technician. Most of the time you can test something, it might work one minute, and not the next. Sometimes all you can do is take a "stab in the dark." A lot of times we can hear a noise, especially inside of a car, but we can't say "Oh, that's the clip for the airbag making noise" or something like that. Sometimes, if not most of the time you have to "tinker" to find rattles, or other noises in the car. It's a process.

Last edited by jaglover922; 12-11-2010 at 05:18 AM.