XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Has anyone changed supercharger oil on the x351?

Old 04-12-2019, 08:36 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

The 5.0 S/C engine only has one hose that runs under the supercharger. It comes from the rear of the engine and is clipped to the bottom of the supercharger in a couple of places. It then attaches to the left side of the throttle body (as you look at it from the front of the car) using a ear type clamp. The other side of the throttle body connects to a small hose (same type of ear clamp) that goes into the pigs ear of a set up that finally ends up at the coolant reservoir. I recently changed to the water pump and removed the supercharger on my 2012 XF Supercharged and posted the steps including some pictures of the plumbing. Check the XF forum for a threat called "interesting find during water pump change". Everything will be same for your XJ.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting coming across this thread. Not sure where the idea came from that the lube in the SC needs to be changed but its just not true. All Eaton OEM SC's come with lifetime fluid. That's why there is no listed service interval in your manual nor at the dealer.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TXFireblade
The 5.0 S/C engine only has one hose that runs under the supercharger. It comes from the rear of the engine and is clipped to the bottom of the supercharger in a couple of places. It then attaches to the left side of the throttle body (as you look at it from the front of the car) using a ear type clamp. The other side of the throttle body connects to a small hose (same type of ear clamp) that goes into the pigs ear of a set up that finally ends up at the coolant reservoir. I recently changed to the water pump and removed the supercharger on my 2012 XF Supercharged and posted the steps including some pictures of the plumbing. Check the XF forum for a threat called "interesting find during water pump change". Everything will be same for your XJ.
I have found your thread thank you very much TXFireblade ! Your description is very comprehensive, it would definitely help when I try to replace mine.

So Cwalkey was right then there is only one hose.

By the way, in Hong Kong we never had XF 5.0 sc non XFR version, we only had 5.0 NA and XFR.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by RoketRdr
Interesting coming across this thread. Not sure where the idea came from that the lube in the SC needs to be changed but its just not true. All Eaton OEM SC's come with lifetime fluid. That's why there is no listed service interval in your manual nor at the dealer.
There are a few reports on this forum and elsewhere of owners who have renewed the SC oil/fluid/lube (mainly on the 4.2 and 5.0 V8s) and most reported the same thing - the old oil came out looking dark, burnt and dirty and the SC was much quieter and smoother after the change.
Yes, according to JLR the SC fluid is "for life" and there is no scheduled renewal mileage, but as I have commented elsewhere it seems to be the same idea as the auto trans fluid in the ZF 6 and 8 speeds - "for life" according to JLR but should be changed every 60,000 miles according to ZF.
I suspect JLRs definition of "for life" means "approximately 10 years" as very few owners of a modern Jag keep it for more than 10 years.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
There are a few reports on this forum and elsewhere of owners who have renewed the SC oil/fluid/lube (mainly on the 4.2 and 5.0 V8s) and most reported the same thing - the old oil came out looking dark, burnt and dirty and the SC was much quieter and smoother after the change.
Yes, according to JLR the SC fluid is "for life" and there is no scheduled renewal mileage, but as I have commented elsewhere it seems to be the same idea as the auto trans fluid in the ZF 6 and 8 speeds - "for life" according to JLR but should be changed every 60,000 miles according to ZF.
I suspect JLRs definition of "for life" means "approximately 10 years" as very few owners of a modern Jag keep it for more than 10 years.
I definitely get what you're saying. The peace of mind from changing the SC oil goes a lot further than wondering what the oil actually looks like at 100K. MOST OEM's typically mean 200,000 miles when they say "lifetime" but history tells us that's just not wise. Given the ZF transmission issues it should be a mandatory service interval to change the solenoids and fluid every 100K.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by cwalkey
EmmanuelTam The front snout of the supercharger has two grease filled bearings that overtime wear out, that is when you rebuild the snout. The isolator that is on the link is the same solid type that i purchased from Ebay The plastic connector goes between the water pump and the oil cooler the pump has to come off to replace the platic peace.There is an rubber coolant hose that runs under the supercharger to the throttle body it is clipped to the supercharger bottom.

Now I am pulling the trigger and putting all the parts into my shopping basket for checkout.

Cwalkey may I ask if you have a pic of the highlighted hose or the part number of it? Is this the hose you mentioned AJ812140 (which is now superceded by AJ813614)?Or this is another item that I need to put into my shopping basket as well?

Old 07-21-2019, 01:53 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Will this help The part # AJ812140 is the one on the 2011 xj that i have.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by cwalkey
Will this help The part # AJ812140 is the one on the 2011 xj that i have.
Thank you so much it definitely helped me to confirm the part.
Otherwise by looking at the pic I definitely would have no idea it is sitting between the supercharger and the engine.

It is now superseded by #AJ813614

Also, do you know any other hoses are worth replacing during the engine out procedure? Because it would be a good time to replace everything that needed to be replace at one go instead of having to drop the engine once again for one or two hoses.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:02 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

All the hoses Are prone to deterioration from age and heat.There are hoses at the rear of the engine that you might like to look at when you have it out.Was your car built in 2013 if it was the it is only 6 year old, that is not to bard.