XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

I bought the wrong Caliper covers

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 11:32 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
So you're not going from reg brakes to BB, You're going from SC brakes to XJR brakes.....

Are you going to get your $5k worth?

Were there any aftermarket options?

I looked at the Brembo website to see their Jag offerings and see that all they list are parts for base and Portfolio editions. What this says to me is either they designed the BB for Jag or Brembos offering simply doesn't improve upon the oem BB Jag offers.
`
You are correct. I am going from SC to XJR which from what I know are the exact same brakes minus the color.

As far as the price the life is work more than 5K so I would say they are worth it. I drive at the speed limiter on a daily basis so to quibble over 5K would be stupid in my opinion. I'm probably driving the wrong car if that was an issue for me.

I didn't look at other brakes because unless I was going to cermamics it didn't really make sense.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Nice

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
You are correct. I am going from SC to XJR which from what I know are the exact same brakes minus the color.

As far as the price the life is work more than 5K so I would say they are worth it. I drive at the speed limiter on a daily basis so to quibble over 5K would be stupid in my opinion. I'm probably driving the wrong car if that was an issue for me.

I didn't look at other brakes because unless I was going to cermamics it didn't really make sense.
I never questioned if you could afford it, just wondering if the color change was your sole motivation. If so, why not opt to simply paint calipers. Also wondering what your brakes are worth to a Jag owner with reg brakes on the open market. Theres gotta be more to this story (like you have a buyer for your SC brakes) making this make sense, just can't wrap my head around a $5k color change I guess!

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 05-02-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
I never questioned if you could afford it, just wondering if the color change was your motivation. If so, why not opt to paint calipers. Also wondering what your brakes are worth to a Jag owner with reg brakes. Theres gotta be more to this story (like you have a buyer for your SC brakes) making this make sense,
I my good sir. I was not implying that you were implying I couldn't afford it. And yes the color change was the only reason I am changing the calipers. I thought about getting my normal calipers painted but then they wouldn't have the Jaguar or R badge and that wasn't acceptable to me. I saw what you guys had on here and it didnt appeal to me even though I like how it looked. I get my car serviced as the dealership and if they would have saw those they would have flipped.

I drive my car to the edge of its performance envelope and if something fails I want it to be a Jaguar part. So the easiest thing for me to do was just to buy genuine Jaguar parts. When I first bought my car I blew the engine and Jaguar replaced it. If I had some aftermarket part on there I'm sure they would have found a way to say it was my fault and I would have had to cough up 30K for a new engine.

The brake system is way to important based on how I drive to take a chance regardless of how remote it may be. So I ponied up the money and just bought OEM parts plus Jaguar will install them because its their parts. I bought it from the US because Jaguar DE charges a ridiculous amount for their parts. A quart of "Jaguar Castrol Oil" cost me 27 euro as it is when I need an oil change.

And does mods ever make sense? Lol I have a friend who is buying a Ford Escape because it gets 6 extra miles to the gallon than the car he really wants lol. But since you mentioned it if anybody is looking for Jaguar XJL Supercharged calipers I will have some for sale shortly.

Last edited by ExpatJag; 05-02-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 413 Posts

ExpatJag I think you have done a great job in adding the Sport Exterior Pack. I think you will find the Cat feels more "planted" when you are at speed on the Autobahn. The only suggestion I woul have is to look into fitting the sway bar for the XJR, all you need is the bar and the bushings. My dealer installed it in less than 1.5 hours and it made a significant improvement in cornering and straight line stability.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:40 AM

Thanks. My next purchase.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:59 AM

Do you remember what the part numbers were and about how much did they cost?

Old 05-02-2015, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

I had this done in December of 2013 so prices may have changed:
2 hours labor
1 Bar-Anti Roll C2D32305 $285.46
2 Insulators C2P13649 $56.01 2x $112.02

The following users liked this post:
Johncy2000 (01-04-2016)
Old 05-03-2015, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJsss
I had this done in December of 2013 so prices may have changed:
2 hours labor
1 Bar-Anti Roll C2D32305 $285.46
2 Insulators C2P13649 $56.01 2x $112.02

I think this is my next mod

Old 05-03-2015, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
I my good sir. I was not implying that you were implying I couldn't afford it. And yes the color change was the only reason I am changing the calipers. I thought about getting my normal calipers painted but then they wouldn't have the Jaguar or R badge and that wasn't acceptable to me. I saw what you guys had on here and it didnt appeal to me even though I like how it looked. I get my car serviced as the dealership and if they would have saw those they would have flipped.

I drive my car to the edge of its performance envelope and if something fails I want it to be a Jaguar part. So the easiest thing for me to do was just to buy genuine Jaguar parts. When I first bought my car I blew the engine and Jaguar replaced it. If I had some aftermarket part on there I'm sure they would have found a way to say it was my fault and I would have had to cough up 30K for a new engine.

The brake system is way to important based on how I drive to take a chance regardless of how remote it may be. So I ponied up the money and just bought OEM parts plus Jaguar will install them because its their parts. I bought it from the US because Jaguar DE charges a ridiculous amount for their parts. A quart of "Jaguar Castrol Oil" cost me 27 euro as it is when I need an oil change.

And does mods ever make sense? Lol I have a friend who is buying a Ford Escape because it gets 6 extra miles to the gallon than the car he really wants lol. But since you mentioned it if anybody is looking for Jaguar XJL Supercharged calipers I will have some for sale shortly.
Yea there should be high interest for your brake kit to someone on here. Liquid Ice for one....(he bought my caliper covers for reg brakes)

Jag big brakes are absolutely great, maybe a bit too good. On my next pad change, I am opting for harder pads as I find the oems a bit too grippy and too dusty. I am going to start a new post now seeking suggestions on pads. Feel free to interject.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,171 Likes on 3,393 Posts
Default Another Possibility?

ExpatJag,

I'm not sure if they'll fit, but you might want to investigate installing the Alcon rotors and calipers as originally equipped on my 2009 XKR Portfolio (4.2L, USA Model), which was a $5,000 option. That package includes 400mm front crescent-slotted rotors with 6-piston calipers and 350mm rear crescent-slotted rotors with 4-piston calipers, the largest ever fitted to a production Jaguar.

Here's a link to Gaudin Jaguar's website: BRAKE COMPONENTS for 2009 Jaguar XKR Scroll down to the second photo for Alcon components and prices (expensive). Here's the schematic:

Just a suggestion for another option.

Stuart

Old 05-04-2015, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member

Stuart those are very nice brakes, but it appears that the pad sweep area is narrower than on the x351 XJ Supercharged and up models:

Attached Thumbnails I bought the wrong Caliper covers-img_0565.jpg  
Old 05-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Default New (modded) caliper covers for Supercharged BBK

Here

Attached Thumbnails I bought the wrong Caliper covers-img_0124.jpg  

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 05-08-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:22 AM
Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

ExpatJag I think you have done a great job in adding the Sport Exterior Pack. I think you will find the Cat feels more "planted" when you are at speed on the Autobahn. The only suggestion I woul have is to look into fitting the sway bar for the XJR, all you need is the bar and the bushings. My dealer installed it in less than 1.5 hours and it made a significant improvement in cornering and straight line stability.
Hi XJsss, i buy the 3 parts for swap anti roll bar ... but i try to install and it's very difficult to access to the roll bar !!
You need to unscrew the cradle ??
Or have you got the procedure ??

Thk

Old 05-18-2015, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Watching my Tech. he removed the front wheels and the front under panel that starts behind the bumper cover and ends in front of the engine. Disconnect the roll bar vertical links from the roll bar and then remove the roll bar insulators/bushings. Turning the roll bar so the ends point down, gently and carefully pull the old roll bar out through the wheel well being careful not to damage anything. Slide in the new roll bar and attach the busings/insulators using the old clamps. Then attach the endlinks. You may want to go to https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/ and buy an hour access to see the manual. I'll attach some illustrations from another source. Good luck.

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
XJ8JR (11-16-2018)
Old 05-22-2015, 07:28 AM

Watching my Tech. he removed the front wheels and the front under panel that starts behind the bumper cover and ends in front of the engine. Disconnect the roll bar vertical links from the roll bar and then remove the roll bar insulators/bushings. Turning the roll bar so the ends point down, gently and carefully pull the old roll bar out through the wheel well being careful not to damage anything. Slide in the new roll bar and attach the busings/insulators using the old clamps. Then attach the endlinks. You may want to go to https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/ and buy an hour access to see the manual. I'll attach some illustrations from another source. Good luck.
I'm not sure if my dealers are just stupid or what. But they are trying to tell me the sway bar is the same thats already installed but I know that not to be the truth. I think they are trying to visually look at it and see a difference.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

According to the product brief the XJRs anti Roll Bar is one mm thicker (Front Anti Roll Bar XJR-31 x 5 Supercharged and SuperSport-30 x 5). The thicker bar was not available prior to the production of the 2014 XJR, so I can almost guarantee that your XJ is equipped with the 30mm bar. Have them measure the thickness.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Why don't we take this informative topic to its own thread..We've morphed to roll bars from Caliper Covers!

Old 05-23-2015, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

I Agree polarisnavyx.

Can an ADMIN create a new thread labeled "Upgrade front Anti Sway Bar to XJR bar" and move posts 24-27, 33 -37 there?

Old 05-24-2015, 10:11 AM
Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

@XJsss : thank you very much for the info, so I've downloaded the specific procedure for diesel

And that's it ... I finally managed to change this famous bar !!

I specify that my XJ is a diesel model, there are more pieces to takeoff apart than the V8

thus almost 4 hours to disassemble and reassemble 3h for all.
there is very little access to access the screws !!

I confirm the original bar is 30mm (yellow mark), the new is 31mm (green mark)
For diesel against the original bar is not right! the new mounts anyway without (too) touch the elements.

Now the feeling ... indeed directionality is firmer, there is less pitching and less blur at high speed!

Old 05-24-2015, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member

Isn't it amazing how 1mm can make such a difference. My original Anti Sway Bar looked exactly like the thicker bar and did not have the additional bends in the center section as your diesel had Nicodep.

Quick Reply: I bought the wrong Caliper covers