XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

I can't believe this is happening...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts
Default I can't believe this is happening...

...but I'm actually starting to think about purchasing an X351, the car I've hated for the past 7 or 8 years. I've always been a staunch supporter of the classic Jag look, but I've recently found myself strangely attracted to a 2014 XJ Supercharged in Stratus Grey with red calipers and the beautiful blue/tan interior with those big Bentley wood slabs on the doors. Those 470 wild horses are calling to me: "Time to upgrade."

But I have a few questions for all you X351 guys. From my preliminary research, it seems like the 2011s have the most reliability issues...would you concur? I've found a 2014 XJ SC with 85k miles and a 2011 Supersport with 45k miles, both for around the same price. I prefer the exterior and interior colors of the younger Supercharged (plus the 8speed box), but the lower mileage and higher HP of the Supersport is tempting. What would the X351 collective have to say about such a predicament?

Another question I have is about the longevity of engines fitted with the silly Stop/Start feature. Has there been any evidence that this has a negative impact on long-term engine life?

I'm sure a 2011 or 2014 X351 is a spaceship compared my ancient 2005 X350 in terms of both tech and general driveability. If any prior X350 owners would care to chime in with their experiences, it would be greatly appreciated.

The X350 is notorious for air suspension issues. I converted to coilovers long ago and saved myself many headaches. I understand the X351 has air shocks in the rear only. Are they as problematic? I can't recall actually seeing any threads about them.

Lastly, I've been an avid DIYer for many years. The old 4.2 engine is fairly simple to work on once you've figured out what you're doing. I understand the addition of the supercharger complicates things, but is the 5.0 easy to work on otherwise for a shade tree mechanic?

Thanks in advance for your input. I have to say the Jaguar Forum without a doubt is populated with the best and brightest and most civilized group of people on the whole of the internet. I'd be completely lost without this group. A deep heartfelt thanks to all of you.

Old 01-05-2018, 04:52 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Stratus grey is an awesome color, but I am obviously biased.

I am sure people will chime in with more information, but the water pumps on the 5.0s seem to have a tendency to let go, so the general advice I have seen given is to make sure to try and get one that had that replaced, or get one with a CPO warranty.

I cant really give you more insight on the other questions, but just for reference, I picked up a 2012 5.0 SC a few months ago with about 65k on it. I am at about 68k now, including a trip from SC to NJ and back, and it feels and sounds tight as a drum.

The following users liked this post:
XJ8JR (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Hi
Like you, I found the current XJ saloon style took a lot of getting used to. I have actually test driven a new X351 when the local dealer ran a test day. It is very different to the previous style inside and out, but easy enough to drive, although the Stop-Start threw me the first time it stopped on the test drive, but the salesman soon put me right. You can turn this off, but you have to do it every time you start the car. I agree it is a pesky nuisance, but all part of the processes that minimise fuel consumption. Just as an example, I recently looked at a 2014 XJ with the 3 litre SC petrol engine. Here in the UK we have road tax based on CO2 emissions. This 3 litre supercharged emitted less CO2 than my older 3 litre non-supercharged! In doing so, it just crept into the lower tax bracket and a saving of £150 a year !! When reversing the reverse camera will bring up a picture of where you are going, and Boy, do you need it, as you can see very little through the rear screen due to the very high boot line

My advice is to go for the 2014 car. In 2011, these cars were still suffering the almost intractable problem of popping noises from the roof area due to the sunroof system and very slight body flexing. Basically the design was flawed. This problem was fixed round about 2012 or 2013.

As for the engine life with Stop-Start, all the car manufacturers are fitting this now, so whatever may happen to your Jaguar engine will happen to other makes of car. My view is that it will probably shorten the starter motor life, and maybe the starter ring on the flywheel, but probably not until about 200k miles has been driven, so not really a problem. The main issue with these 5 litre V8 engines is apparently the water pump is short life, (probably improved on the latest cars). Look this up on the forum.

Air suspension is now only on the rear wheels where it should only have been on the previous models. Full air suspension was totally unnecessary on the X350 cars, and Jaguar clearly realise this now.

Finally, in terms of how it seems when driving, I found that the car waist line is a lot higher, and for short people it can be a bit like looking over the top of a wall when looking forward.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fraser Mitchell:
oldrover (10-01-2018), XJ8JR (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

XJ8JR,

Much of what you asked has already been answered. For more background from owners, see https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...eir-xj-151736/

I bought a 2013 because it was CPO and had almost everything I wanted: 5.0LSC, SWB, 8-speed, Meridian Surround Sound, exterior and interior colors and burl wood veneer. Only adaptive cruise control was missing, and I thought it would be virtually impossible to find another XJ that checked more of my boxes. I'm glad I bought it and it's still great fun to drive. Except for the water pump that was replaced under warranty at 30K miles, it's been very reliable. I recommend the 2013-up models, which is when the 8-speed and Meridian sound were introduced, as well as the oft-maligned Intelligent Stop-Start System. Like many others, I initially hated Stop-Start. However, after learning how to control it with brake pedal pressure and A/C settings, I began to like it. If you don't like it, you can easily disable it with a push of a dashboard button. There's no evidence so far that Stop-Start adversely affects engine longevity. Also not many problems with the air suspension.

As for the 2011 SuperSport versus the 2014 XJSC, you probably wouldn't notice the less power in the 2014 in ordinary driving but you'll definitely notice the differences in the transmissions, sound systems, navigation and touchscreen. And soft-close doors were introduced with the 2014 model year. If you still want more power, see the threads on this Forum about pulley and tune mods.

Is the X351 5.0L SC shade-tree mechanic friendly? That depends on the project. DIY oil and filter changes are easy, since the filter is top mounted and the oil is sucked out of the crankcase from the top with a oil extractor. Using the proper oil is critical, but it's hard to find. Computer diagnostic equipment and special tools may be necessary depending on the project.

Good luck with your quest!

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 01-05-2018 at 05:40 PM.
XJ8JR (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member

I stopped by after work to check out the 2014. Man, it's really nice. The interior was amazing and had an intoxicating leather smell. The only issue was there was a slight vibration at idle, almost like a mount was bad or there was a tiny misfire. They said they would check it out and get back to me.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

As previously stated, the biggies with the 2011 model are the moonroof popping and the water pumps. For whatever reason, my moonroof has never popped in the two years I've owned my car. It may or may not have ever been repaired prior to my purchase, but it wasn't listed on the carfax if it was. My water pump had been replaced just prior to me buying the car. My only real issue I've encountered was a head gasket failure at approx. 48K miles, which happened while the car was still under full factory warranty. I went with the 2011 because it was the only XJL I could find that had the rear picnic tables. We were coming out of a Rolls-Royce Silver Spur and the seat backs without the tables looked naked. I know that's a dumb reason, but it was the deciding factor! Good luck!

Dwayne

XJ8JR (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

XJ8JR I had a vibration felt at idle especially in the steering wheel. Turned our to be motor mounts. If the XJ has OEM air intakes look at the bellows sections on both sides if one or both are pinched at the top and expanded on the lower side of the bellows then it is motor mounts. My suggestion is that of one is bad replace both motor mounts and the transmission mount. As I have said I had this done and the vibration has been virtually eliminated. Good luck on your search and purchase you will love the new XJ. Just be sure to look, as Stuart has suggested, for none older than a 2013 as that is when they made many updates.

XJ8JR (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

Well, they looked it over and didn't find anything wrong. Their tech says that all the direct injection engines have a slightly rough idle. I'm a bit skeptical but upon further research I've seen some confirmation by other owners. It feels like a tiny tiny misfire only at idle felt in the seat of your pants, but the rpms don't fluctuate and there are absolutely no problems while driving or accelerating. Any thoughts? Are the 5.0 SC engines a bit rougher at idle?

Edit: I actually just found an old post from Brutal which confirms that the 5.0 SC engines are a bit rougher.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:09 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

With direct injection I believe there is a problem down the line with carbon build up on the intake valves due to the lack of wash from the injectors, it might be prudent to get the seller to bore scope the inlets to determine if they need cleaning?

XJ8JR (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

The dealer has agreed to let me take the car for a long-term test drive for a day or two, so I'll be able to give it a good check out at my leisure. I'll report back.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member

Let me start off by saying "Wowzers." This car is an amazing machine. Even with 20" wheels, the ride is so smooth; smoother than my X350 has ever been. The quality of the interior is so much better and the tech is incredible. Massaging seats? Fugetaboutit. Suede headliner, illuminated sills, adaptive highbeams, cornering lights, Meridian Surround...its outrageous. And then you've got the beautiful whine of the supercharger. I'm smitten.

I did find a few things during my inspection:
1. One of the front banana control arms needs to be replaced as the bushings are starting to tear.
2. The oil pan is leaky. Not enough to actually drip on the ground though.
3. It looks like the rear main seal may be a bit weepy also. Again, nothing major though.

The control arm is no big deal, but the oil leaks are a bit worrying. I've replaced my 4.2 oil pan gasket no problem, and it looks like this would be pretty simple as well, unless there's some complication I'm unaware of. The rear main seal is definitely more complicated but is it a deal breaker?

Everything else seems to be in top condition. The car looks and feels brand new even though it has 85k miles. The licence plate frame in the boot says "Jaguar of Thousand Oaks" so I think I'll call them and see if they have any service records.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I converted from BMWs to a 2014 XJL Supercharged about 3 weeks ago.

Blissful so far, and CPO’d until 12/21!

The full-size Jaguar is lighter than my midsize 550i, and faster, and roomier, and more luxurious and has loads more character.

I miss the stick shift in the 550, but the SC engine in the Jag is much crisper than the twin-Turbo V8 in the Bimmer. The BMW had a slight edge in some technology but I haven’t missed any of it.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

XJ8JR I've had the bushings replaced in mine @ 80k and the ride improvement was noticeable, but what I am saying is just press in new bushings and do both sides at the same time. I cannot speak to oil leaks as my techs have not noted any on my car. But of all my Jags none is better then this for performance, comfort, looks, interior, and sound. Makes one wonder what took you so long?

Old 01-07-2018, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Ha. Good question. I don't know what took so long.

It's just that I know the X350 so well inside and out. I'm nervous about tackling such an advanced new car, but at the same time its exciting to learn new things. I've learned so much over the years from this forum...I went from barely being able to change a tire to tearing apart the intake manifold to change the valley hose, and everywhere in between.

And it always sucks to start making car payments again after not having any for so long.

I ran a google search on the VIN and discovered that the previous owner was a well-to-do Englishman who is a member of several Jaguar, Land Rover, MG, etc, forums (he might even be lurking somewhere here). So I'm fairly confident that this car has been looked after well.

I have to return the car this afternoon, so I've got some major thinking to do.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

I think the main thing that really surprised me was the smoothness of the ride quality. I've always heard that the X351 had a harder sportier suspension, but even with the 20" wheels, the ride quality on this car beats the X350 hands down...I mean, no competition.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I think there has been a lot of thinking done in the shock manufacturers design departments, because ride deterioration with low profile tyres has become commonplace as these wheels and tyres have forced their way into common use. Fashion ! It sucks !

I believe some changes have been made by Bilstein into the way shock absorbers deal with higher frequency inputs, (rough and broken tarmac), and also very quick inputs as come from sharp ridges like raised and sunken man-hole covers.

I have dealt with the issue on my X358 by swapping out the 19" that came with the car, and putting on a set of 17". However if you have the bigger diameter discs this isn't an option.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:03 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Water pump, water pump water pump. Oh, and check out the water pump, they can fail catastrophically at any time. Best idea is to pony up the money and get it changed to the new design. See other threads by me on the subject.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

Well, the dealer wasn't interested in offering any compensation for the repairs, so I walked away. Damn shame. I know their price is already at the low end of the KBB value, but that leaking rear main seal has me worried.

My poor old X350...he was ready for retirement. As soon as I got home and started his engine, he complained at me that his coolant level was low...again.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep looking!

Old 01-07-2018, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member

Is the leaky rear seal a big issue? Its not really leaking or even forming droplets, its just a tiny bit of wetness caked with dirt.

As you can see, I'm trying to justify the purchase, especially now after my X350 appears to have a new coolant leak somewhere. And they are willing to take it as a trade.

Last edited by XJ8JR; 01-07-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Quick Reply: I can't believe this is happening...