XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

I'm getting the XJR575

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 11:30 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default I'm getting the XJR575

Test drove one recently and wanted to share my thoughts on my experience. I loved the car inside and outside. Test drove the Pana and it was no where near as exciting as the Jag was to drive. I won't go into tons of details because I'm sure most of you are already familiar with XJ's. However, the following things stood out to me and I think they're worth mentioning.

The power, acceleration and overall brute force of this car is unreal! At times, it almost felt too powerful...if that's possible. Press the gas lightly and it gracefully glides down the road. The ride is firm but not abrasive. However, the second you apply any further pressure to the gas pedal, the car roars and literally "lunges" forward down the road reaching ridiculously high speeds. Switch to Dynamic mode and the power almost seems dangerous, in a good way. During the test drive, we approached a red light and the salesman told me to make a right turn. We waited at the intersection for 30-45 secs. allowing all of the traffic to pass which was about 10-15 cars traveling at different speeds. I proceeded to turn right and the salesman said "Floor it man". I mashed the gas, and we both jolted back into our seats as the side bolstering locked us in place. 40...60...82...86, the numbers on the speedometer randomly and rapidly changed before my eyes. I weaved between the cars down the road and after what felt like 5-6 secs., I was behind the very first car that crossed the intersection back when we were waiting at the red light. After that, I felt nobody could outrun me...no one could escape me. What a feeling!

The only thing I'm still unsure about is the upgraded Meridian Audio System. I didnt have time to adjust the EQ during my test but from the brief test, the sound was somewhat hallow. While it was clear, it wasn't full...or big in sound.

Otherwise, I can't live without this car!

Last edited by YepItsme; 12-29-2018 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:06 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

It sounds like an amazing car. My only problem with the car is the law enforcement issue and the idiots with cell phones who camp in the left lane and everywhere else. I have the red thing with 172 HP at the rear wheel and 440lbs when I feel the need, the need for speed. I would still get the car if it is what you want as we only live once. I wouldn't worry about the stereo, enough money can fix anything.(LOL). Be sure to post pictures when you get the beast. I love the beautiful Velocity Blue one with the black wheels. I take the red thing to the track when I really get frisky.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

As for the audio system, it took some time for the speakers to break in as they originally lacked depth and fullness in the mids and bases. I will say that I reduced the treble level as the sound was too bright for me. Worn in I must say that to my ears it is the finest factory audio system I have ever heard in a car!.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by MV Rider
It sounds like an amazing car. My only problem with the car is the law enforcement issue and the idiots with cell phones who camp in the left lane and everywhere else. I have the red thing with 172 HP at the rear wheel and 440lbs when I feel the need, the need for speed. I would still get the car if it is what you want as we only live once. I wouldn't worry about the stereo, enough money can fix anything.(LOL). Be sure to post pictures when you get the beast. I love the beautiful Velocity Blue one with the black wheels. I take the red thing to the track when I really get frisky.
Since I only tested the 575 and the Pana, I'm not sure how common this feature is but the Jag has a red light cam detection system. I was driving towards an intersection that had a red light cam and well before I approached the intersection, a chirp went off 3 times while the radio was playing. The timing of the chirp allowed me plenty of time to slow down should the light change to yellow. Probably would need to invest in law enforcement radar detector as well since small amounts of pressure on the pedal easily have you going 90+ MPH. Should be good to go with both.

Originally Posted by XJsss
As for the audio system, it took some time for the speakers to break in as they originally lacked depth and fullness in the mids and bases. I will say that I reduced the treble level as the sound was too bright for me. Worn in I must say that to my ears it is the finest factory audio system I have ever heard in a car!.
That's what I walked away thinking as well. Definitely needs break in period. It didn't sound bad by any means, it just wasn't full.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:17 PM

What color are you looking at getting? Yes, I would definitely get a radar detector.It is always nice to have a license and not be in jail.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by MV Rider
What color are you looking at getting? Yes, I would definitely get a radar detector.It is always nice to have a license and not be in jail.
Velocity Blue

Old 12-29-2018, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by YepItsme
Since I only tested the 575 and the Pana, I'm not sure how common this feature is but the Jag has a red light cam detection system. I was driving towards an intersection that had a red light cam and well before I approached the intersection, a chirp went off 3 times while the radio was playing. The timing of the chirp allowed me plenty of time to slow down should the light change to yellow. Probably would need to invest in law enforcement radar detector as well since small amounts of pressure on the pedal easily have you going 90+ MPH. Should be good to go with both.

That's what I walked away thinking as well. Definitely needs break in period. It didn't sound bad by any means, it just wasn't full.
Wow....sounds like a dream car...congrats...about the chirp at the red light...my 06 str does the same thing and now I know why...thanks

Old 12-30-2018, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

I love the Valentine 1 and its easy to install a tap in the overhead console. Not sure of the wires to tap off of in the newer XJs, but someone here knows and may chime in.

Original Valentine1 installed during Dealer PDI

With Blackvue Dashcam installed

Last edited by XJsss; 12-30-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:50 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is a mere 470hp and I agree with every word you wrote. The XJ is the driver’s car among big sedans. The responsiveness is amazing.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by YepItsme
Velocity Blue
That is great. Glad to see a man who is not afraid of a little color in his life. We have to see the pictures when you get it.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:05 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I also own a XJL 5.0SC. I'm going on two years now and have come come to the conclusion that the feeling is of being transported through space every time my foot gets heavy.

Enjoy!

Old 12-30-2018, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

I don't know which one I enjoy more, my XJ or my XKR. Both are drop-dead gorgeous and drive great. The XKR delivers what is expected from its looks, but the XJ delivers more than its looks suggest. I'm amazed by my XJ's Jekyll and Hyde personality; it's Beauty that becomes the Beast simply by mashing the exhilarator pedal. Compared to my XKR, my XJ seems quicker (470 hp/8-speed vs. 420 hp/6-speed) and handles just as well in Dynamic mode. If the XJ was available as a convertible the XKR would be superfluous.

And the burl wood veneer, with its colors and swirls, is gorgeous and appears different every time I look at it.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:34 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Stuart,
Those swirls are a manufacture defect that have been known to cause right foot seizures. I would be glad to remove them for you and swap my less problematic panels in their place.

Cheers

The following 2 users liked this post by Fishnmagician:
Stuart S (12-30-2018), XJ8JR (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 10:52 AM

If I could, the only thing I would change is swapping out the carbon fiber veneer in the 575 for the wood of my choice. Jags should have wood IMO. I'm sure it can be done but I don't want to run the risk of having a poorly installed veneer job.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

I'm sure that you'll have no problem finding a Forum member who will gladly swap their wood for your carbon fiber trim. Before you agree to an even swap, check the prices at any Jaguar dealer's online parts website, as I suspect that the CF pieces are more expensive than the wood veneer. Alternatively, search Ebay for a complete wood veneer set out of a wrecked XJ. That way, you can keep your CF and put everything back to original if you wish.

As for damaging the wood veneer, that won't happen if the proper plastic trim removal tools are used to pry each piece up from its snap-in fitment. See my Post #17: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...olders-208542/

If I can do it, so can you! You can always pay the dealer to do it, if you prefer.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I'm sure that you'll have no problem finding a Forum member who will gladly swap their wood for your carbon fiber trim. Before you agree to an even swap, check the prices at any Jaguar dealer's online parts website, as I suspect that the CF pieces are more expensive than the wood veneer. Alternatively, search Ebay for a complete wood veneer set out of a wrecked XJ. That way, you can keep your CF and put everything back to original if you wish.

As for damaging the wood veneer, that won't happen if the proper plastic trim removal tools are used to pry each piece up from its snap-in fitment. See my Post #17: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...olders-208542/

If I can do it, so can you! You can always pay the dealer to do it, if you prefer.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,765 Posts

What a great color!
What is the interior?
Congratulations!

Old 12-30-2018, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
What a great color!
What is the interior?
Congratulations!
Black with red accent stitching

Old 12-30-2018, 03:15 PM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

If the XJ was available as a convertible the XKR would be superfluous.

[/QUOTE]

Old 12-30-2018, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by vika01
If the XJ was available as a convertible the XKR would be superfluous.

[/QUOTE]

Yikes

Quick Reply: I'm getting the XJR575