XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Jaguar confronts poor quality rap with new cars, long warranties

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by slojotaa
It is an amazingly powerful car.
Powerful yes, but I hear it's not a very comfortable car, especially considering potential whiplash injury from all that monster torque.

Those who can afford Tesla probably have other cars, so they don't care about reliability.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Powerful yes, but I hear it's not a very comfortable car, especially considering potential whiplash injury from all that monster torque.

Those who can afford Tesla probably have other cars, so they don't care about reliability.
Monster Torque is so appropriately labelled and I can't see whiplash, unless one drives foolishly. Just an opinion statement, not factually based by me.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:14 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

While the term for this Elite Care is longer than others it doesn't appear to be as comprehensive as others; I initially thought that it covered items such as pads and rotors, after finding out that it doesn't it's a bit of a letdown--especially after seeing the rate at which my XF goes through them.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Bellanca_XF
While the term for this Elite Care is longer than others it doesn't appear to be as comprehensive as others; I initially thought that it covered items such as pads and rotors, after finding out that it doesn't it's a bit of a letdown--especially after seeing the rate at which my XF goes through them.
Who is still covering brakes and wear & tear items. I know BMW is dropping it for 2017 as well as going to 3/36 on the warranty.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:27 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
Who is still covering brakes and wear & tear items. I know BMW is dropping it for 2017 as well as going to 3/36 on the warranty.
I wasn't aware that BMW was dropping it, but of all of the people I know with BMWs they don't seem to go through brakes at the same rate as I've experienced with Jaguar. And while not on the same tier Lincoln covers it on their Black Label series.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:28 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
I have to agree with you. My take on any CEO however, is what they do to turn things around. Excuse making in advance is no substitute for taking positive actions! Talking about perceptions from fifteen years ago does no good.

Like you suggest, increase the warranty to 6 years and 100k miles, or better yet, 10 years and 100k miles. Also fix the water pump so it lasts that long, rather than only ~40,000 miles (I know how to do that).

Also have Garmin provide their GPS expertise to Jaguars sad sack infotainment center.

Also equip their cars with all weather OEM tires that provide superior wet, snow, and cold weather traction, and a quieter, smoother ride, i.e the Continental Extreme Contact DWS.

Also equip their cars with batteries and battery management systems that can handle the demands of the car's electronics.

Also keep up with all the trendy crap like LED Christmas Tree lighting on the front of the vehicle.

Advertise the fact that Jaguar has had very high scores on quality in recent years, while German cars have had very low scores.

Talk up the fact that Jaguar's body, engine and dynamic handling technologies are far superior to their European competitiors.

In other words, take positive constructive actions rather than reinforcing negative and outmoded reputations. Be a leader, not an excuse maker.

Boy you just said a bunch of stuff that shows how little you really do know. The all season tire one had me rolling hehehe hehehe

50K 04 XJ that still has half its pads left. 64K on my 2011 X5d with monitor saying 12,000 miles left on rear pads. Maybe the driver has something to do with it??? Truth hurts but I don't see a lot of top tier drivers in Jags, ever.

Last edited by ddsski; 03-19-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jag XF-S vs BMW

I have just purchased my first Jaguar, 2016 XF-S, since I owned an XKE in the early 1970s. I loved that car, but it spent more time in my dealer's shop than it did in my garage, mostly electrical problems. In the meanwhile, I have been a very satisfied BMW owner, owning several 3xxs, 5xxs and Zs. They were all very good cars, but I got tired of the somewhat staid German styling after a while and decided to give Jaguar another opportunity.

To date, I am very pleased. The XF is not an XKE, but so far I am pleasantly surprised with both the reliability and quality. IMHO, Jag styling far surpasses BMW's, build quality is similar and ride is definitely superior. I'll post updates as my relationship with my XF matures and I get more experience with the vehicle. Wish me luck, I am retired now, so having my car in the shop frequently is not quite the problem it was when I was working five (or more) days a week.

The following users liked this post:
slojotaa (04-17-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 11:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased a new (2016) XF-S on March 22, 2016 and, in the first week, the passenger side front door wouldn't close properly (I have the "soft close" feature). The dealer checked it out and indicated that NO TROUBLE (was) FOUND. In the second week, the Check Engine Light illuminated and the dealer also found NO TROUBLE. In my third week of ownership, I discovered that I was unable to activate the "In Control Feature" and the dealer is still working on that issue after two days in the shop.

I am temporarily driving a (free) loaner (Land Rover) and beginning to cultivate a truly meaningful relationship with my dealer's service Rep. This experience reminds me a lot of my previous Jaguar vehicle (in the 70s) with an XKE which was in the shop more frequently (it seems) than in my garage.

I hope that situation isn't going to repeat itself now?

Old 04-26-2016, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by SJWwalt
I am temporarily driving a (free) loaner (Land Rover) and beginning to cultivate a truly meaningful relationship with my dealer's service Rep.
Try to think positive here. You are helping to send his kids through college and pay his expensive San Jose mortgage!

Based on personal experience and browsing these forums, I see the same issues across all Jaguar model lines and years (1980's-present) -- radio statics, fit and finish issues, heater blowing cold, lackluster stock audio, 'restricted performance' warning, water pump, thermostat housing. I chalk it all up to British quirkiness.

This guy's homage to English cars cracks me up. Enjoy!

The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfy:
Hailers (11-23-2018), slojotaa (04-27-2016)
Old 10-31-2018, 03:59 AM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts

I posted on wrong thread

Last edited by rgp; 10-31-2018 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Well for me if it was not for the terrible reputation the public has of Jaguar I simply could NOT afford to drive one!

I got a screaming deal in 2009 for my first Jag a 2005 S Type R. Very worried about it as I had never owned anything more exotic than a Ford or Chevy.
BUT that car proved to be very reliable and I drove it daily for 6+ years and over 100K miles. Sold it for a song because of the same thing. No one wants a used Jaguar!

Now I run a 2014 XJR which is a tremendous car in all departments. But again way too expensive new and a massive deal on the used market.
Had this one about 15 months and 14K miles or so. It's the ONLY car I have ever had that so far has had ZERO problems. I just can't believe it either.
Been to the dealer exactly one time for this insanely expensive magic juice oil we MUST run! I mean $225 for a filter and oil change that takes less than 30 minutes plus you don't even need to get under the car to do it!
I complained a bit when I took it in and the service guy charged me $175 in the end.

I have tracked down this over priced magic juice oil and plan to do my own oil changes. But it has been pointed out that just the oil and filter is about $100!
So maybe the dealer is not that high at all?

Old 11-03-2018, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

In my case, I do not live close to a Jaguar dealership and there are nearly none on the roads in my area. Therefore, I had no preconceived perceptions of quality or lack thereof. After a long succession of Cadillacs and Lincolns, my wife was the one who wanted a Jaguar. Our first one was a new 2004 X-Type which was essentially her car. There were a few unusual problems along the way but I pretty much chalked that up to them being the entry-level car and, by many people's estimation, not a true Jaguar. Warranty covered everything so, other than the inconvenience of being a long distance from our dealer, it wasn't a big deal. It was towed in once making it the first car I have EVER had towed. She had a stroke less than three years later and is no longer able to drive so we sold the car and moved on. Years later, she said she missed having a Jaguar and we decided to take the plunge again. In my opinion, our Lunar Grey XJL Supercharged was one of the most beautiful cars we've ever owned. It was also the car that caused me to form my own perception of poor quality. Constant problems! Again, all covered by warranty but I had two massive breakdowns that required towing, the first of which left the car in the dealer's service department for five weeks, and the second of which led to trading the damned thing on a new Cadillac and never looking back. If this is improved reliability, then I feel truly sorry for those Jaguar owners of yesteryear and what they must have endured. I learned a long time ago to never say never, but I sincerely doubt I'll ever buy another Jaguar - I don't need the stress.

Last edited by dga57; 11-03-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:55 PM
Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

I went to the hardware store today with the top down, several car loads of girls exchanged pleasantries with me. Then I purchased a $100 key remote fob from Ebay because I'm tired of having only one.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:40 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

We have been perceived as a low-volume, high-priced brand,” the executive said.
And this is supposed to be a bad thing? What, you want to be the British Chevy or Hyundai? How are Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, etc perceived? I have said it before and I will say it again that they should have moved the brand further upmarket rather than lower. Why doesn't Aston build a $30k Mazda Miata competitor? Lower end brands tried to move the other way and failed. VW Phaeton and Kia K900 come to mind. Jaguar was already there, higher actually.

I remember in the late 90's Jaguar had very high reliability and customer satisfaction ratings. The stigma stems from the 70's because somebody's uncle once had an XJ with electrical problems. It's just ridiculous.

Look at this video about BMW and Mercedes. The cars still sell very well and are certainly not cheap to maintain. It's because the lower end sedan market was tapped into by these brands a long time ago and their wide market spread has become archetypal.

You can offer a $15k Jaguar economy vehicle, a ten year warranty and service plan, and it still won't sell. Simply because that's not what the brand is synonymous with. Now remake the next gen XJ as a V8 and V12 ultra luxury sports saloon that actually looks like an XJ with a $100k entry point and watch.

Last edited by AJ16er; 04-06-2019 at 11:13 PM.