Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Looks like you did a great job! Enjoy!

Dwayne

Old 06-09-2018, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was a perfect job.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:39 PM
Received 179 Likes on 116 Posts

Colour me impressed. I am so glad that mine came with the RSE fitted, as my competence level stops at refuelling. And unlike others, my grandson has used the system pretty much nonstop since he discovered it.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:19 AM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

What a great deal of work. I’m more envious than the level of my ability to tackle such a daunting project and my grandchildren manage with a central placed iPad. Thank goodness

Old 06-13-2018, 01:34 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 12-16-2020, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a list of what ccf lines you changed to enable the RSE?

Old 10-30-2023, 05:37 PM
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Upgraded my rear TV screens

I added the rear seat entertainment screens shown above in this thread back in 2018. Last month, I found a local salvage yard that had a junked XJ that was pillaged for parts. The interior seats were in great condition, and they had the 10 inch screens on them. I made the purchased and they threw in the entertainment module. I cleaned them off, and the seats looks brand new! As such, I upgraded from the 8 inch headrest screens to the 10 inch seat-mounted ones. It was plug and play, but you’ll need the newer module as it formats the picture for the large size screens. It’s an easy upgrade if you can find the parts.

Last edited by ABrice; 10-30-2023 at 09:38 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ABrice:
christ (10-30-2023), dmchao (10-31-2023), Vasara (10-31-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

Worth mentioning that with the tech today, it would be much better from a functionality, screen quality, and ease of installation to create or buy some kind of nicely integrated magnetic mount for a tablet or a CarPlay stand alone screen with screen mirroring. With a tablet, you can download lots of content to it for watching, or put it on your phone's hotspot for streaming. With a CarPlay screen that has mirroring, you can just play off your phone so your phone is like the remote control. The Click and Go Jag system is pretty close to what you need for these applications.

Old 10-31-2023, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Worth mentioning that with the tech today, it would be much better from a functionality, screen quality, and ease of installation to create or buy some kind of nicely integrated magnetic mount for a tablet or a CarPlay stand alone screen with screen mirroring. With a tablet, you can download lots of content to it for watching, or put it on your phone's hotspot for streaming. With a CarPlay screen that has mirroring, you can just play off your phone so your phone is like the remote control. The Click and Go Jag system is pretty close to what you need for these applications.
Tricky to control the rear-seat entertainment from the front screen if you don't use the integrated stuff, though.

Old 10-31-2023, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by christ
Tricky to control the rear-seat entertainment from the front screen if you don't use the integrated stuff, though.
Not if you have the tablet on a magnetic mount and just pull it off to control it and put it back. Hopefully, you can plan it to set it and forget it with enough content to play for the trip.

Or if you are using screen mirroring, then you can completely control what is on the screen from the phone in the front seat.

It's just better to use the new tech available. When they came out with this OEM back seat stuff, the tech world was very different.

Old 10-31-2023, 04:01 PM

Not if you have the tablet on a magnetic mount and just pull it off to control it and put it back. Hopefully, you can plan it to set it and forget it with enough content to play for the trip.

Or if you are using screen mirroring, then you can completely control what is on the screen from the phone in the front seat.

It's just better to use the new tech available. When they came out with this OEM back seat stuff, the tech world was very different.
I respectfully disagree.

Old 10-31-2023, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

I respectfully disagree.
What content options do you have to play from the front screen?

Old 10-31-2023, 06:05 PM

What content options do you have to play from the front screen?
I have a 128 GB memory stick plugged in to one of the USB ports, with movies and TV shows on, and I have copied some movies and TV shows on to the car hard drive: The driver (or more often the front seat passenger) can select from any of those on either media on demand (with different content served to each of the rear screens) - or we can also select a TV channel for either rear screen - using the native interface on the touch screen. I occasionally use a DVD, but I find them a little cumbersome. The grandkids each have a set of Whitefire headphones welded to their heads, and live in their own little world.

I am told that I could put a fire stick in too, but neither I nor the grandkids have yet seen the need. It's possible that CarPlay could be pressed into service too, but it is new to me so I haven't tried that yet.

The twelve-year-old could probably serve himself with an iPad, but I can't imagine that the three-year-old could be self-sufficient. We are fortunate in that the three-year-old is comfortable in headphones, but when they slip off we suffer through listening to Meg and Mog or Bluey on the main speakers.

I am sure that the resolution of the video, and the refresh rates, and other techie stuff are not as modern as if we used BYOD media, but I'm not sure the kids care.

Last edited by christ; 10-31-2023 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-01-2023, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

I have a 128 GB memory stick plugged in to one of the USB ports, with movies and TV shows on, and I have copied some movies and TV shows on to the car hard drive: The driver (or more often the front seat passenger) can select from any of those on either media on demand (with different content served to each of the rear screens) - or we can also select a TV channel for either rear screen - using the native interface on the touch screen. I occasionally use a DVD, but I find them a little cumbersome. The grandkids each have a set of Whitefire headphones welded to their heads, and live in their own little world.

I am told that I could put a fire stick in too, but neither I nor the grandkids have yet seen the need. It's possible that CarPlay could be pressed into service too, but it is new to me so I haven't tried that yet.

The twelve-year-old could probably serve himself with an iPad, but I can't imagine that the three-year-old could be self-sufficient. We are fortunate in that the three-year-old is comfortable in headphones, but when they slip off we suffer through listening to Meg and Mog or Bluey on the main speakers.

I am sure that the resolution of the video, and the refresh rates, and other techie stuff are not as modern as if we used BYOD media, but I'm not sure the kids care.
Yeah, I would never go back to that old world way of doing things. Tech has passed you by.

Old 11-01-2023, 03:58 PM

Yeah, I would never go back to that old world way of doing things. Tech has passed you by.
Yup.