XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Jaguar XJ Adding Rear Seat Entertainment

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 10:52 PM
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Jaguar XJ Adding Rear Seat Entertainment

Hello. I have a 2013 Jaguar XJL. I was considering adding the rear sear dvd headrest OEM. I can find the dvd headrest on EBay, used of course. But I'm not sure of the rest of the components that I'll need in order to make the headrest work. What other hardward will I need to purchased? Also, how will it integrate with the existing stereo system? Has anyone ever attepted this or have any information? A wiring diagram, a parts list, anything? Thanks.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Anything is possible with enough time and money. And you can accomplish your goal either the hard way or the easy way. Is your Plan A worth the cost and effort? I think not, because you will save lots of time, money, and aggravation if you go to Plan B: Take your pick -

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_3_14?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=rear+seat+entertainment+system&sprefix=rear+seat+ente%2Caps%2C182&crid=2N7QLIX9DW184 https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_3_14?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=rear+seat+entertainment+system&sprefix=rear+seat+ente%2Caps%2C182&crid=2N7QLIX9DW184

Just my

Old 07-24-2017, 07:20 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

OEM XJ on ebay? uhh... good luck with that! No chance at all.

No reason to go with the factory setup anyway. Just get an aftermarket one. None of what you find is blueray btw. You are better off buying two ipads for the rear seat passengers.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:45 PM

Yeah. I'm considering going with plan B. Buying the Jaguar Ipad mounts and getting 2 Ipads. I just wanted to dig and see if it was even possible to go OEM first. They're a few OEM DVD headrest out there, but I'm not sure what else is needed. Plan B will definitely be cheaper.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

I added the 2013-2015 RSE package to my 2010 XJ. If you are comfortable taking the interior to bits it shouldn't present any challenges, but is about 7/10 on the difficulty scale and will take a full weekend.

The 2013 system is almost identical to the launch RSE, but is equipped with the nicer extending headrests. It requires the following components/changes:

1. New telematics harness (as I was fitting a the 2013 system, which did not exist at the time my car was built, I used a 2013 harness to create an overlay). It is unusual to find these used, OEM is around £800 depending on exact spec. Also two link harnesses to run inside the seats from the headrests to the telematics harness (about £50 each).

2. Two 8" screens (often found on eBay as the same screens are used on loads of JLR cars from those years). Mine cost £20 each brand new unused stock, but typically go for £100 each used.

3. The headrests and bezels. They sometimes appear on eBay, but I couldn't find the spec I wanted to ended up buying new. They are the most expensive part by far if buying new OEM parts - around £1k each and typically 6 month lead time on these parts.

4. Replacement rear centre arm rest as the wiring is not available separately. About £500 new, rarely available used without buying a full seat set.

5. The remote control. Note they are specific to the RSE module build date, and have model specific firmware flashed on them which cannot be replaced. XJ ones from 2013 would be gloss black, not matt. Frequently on eBay around £50. Note that they are often sold used with dead batteries that no longer charge - new batteries can be brought for about £30.

6. The RSE module. Can be from RR vehicles (more commonly available used) but you will get a RR logo on the rear screens and need a matching remote if you do. (Logos appear automatically when rear doors are opened.) XJ ones are rarer, but no more expensive. There are hardware differences around 2013 so you need to be careful sourcing the module. If you are seriously interested in doing this PM me and I will talk you through identifying them, etc.

7. My car had the IR headphone option from new, but if not you need to add that too plus a set of headphones.

8. SDD/Pathfinder to go in and edit the car's CCF data to enable the RSE options.

You could probably fit the 2015-16 system using similar steps and likely for less money as parts are more likely to be stocked, but you will definitely need to create an overlay harness to do so.

Total cost was around £4.5k. I did it because I like doing it, so unless you really want OEM there are better aftermarket solutions to entertain the kids.

The following 2 users liked this post by xdave:
dmchao (11-09-2023), XJsss (07-25-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by xdave
I added the 2013-2015 RSE package to my 2010 XJ. If you are comfortable taking the interior to bits it shouldn't present any challenges, but is about 7/10 on the difficulty scale and will take a full weekend.

The 2013 system is almost identical to the launch RSE, but is equipped with the nicer extending headrests. It requires the following components/changes:

1. New telematics harness (as I was fitting a the 2013 system, which did not exist at the time my car was built, I used a 2013 harness to create an overlay). It is unusual to find these used, OEM is around £800 depending on exact spec. Also two link harnesses to run inside the seats from the headrests to the telematics harness (about £50 each).

2. Two 8" screens (often found on eBay as the same screens are used on loads of JLR cars from those years). Mine cost £20 each brand new unused stock, but typically go for £100 each used.

3. The headrests and bezels. They sometimes appear on eBay, but I couldn't find the spec I wanted to ended up buying new. They are the most expensive part by far if buying new OEM parts - around £1k each and typically 6 month lead time on these parts.

4. Replacement rear centre arm rest as the wiring is not available separately. About £500 new, rarely available used without buying a full seat set.

5. The remote control. Note they are specific to the RSE module build date, and have model specific firmware flashed on them which cannot be replaced. XJ ones from 2013 would be gloss black, not matt. Frequently on eBay around £50. Note that they are often sold used with dead batteries that no longer charge - new batteries can be brought for about £30.

6. The RSE module. Can be from RR vehicles (more commonly available used) but you will get a RR logo on the rear screens and need a matching remote if you do. (Logos appear automatically when rear doors are opened.) XJ ones are rarer, but no more expensive. There are hardware differences around 2013 so you need to be careful sourcing the module. If you are seriously interested in doing this PM me and I will talk you through identifying them, etc.

7. My car had the IR headphone option from new, but if not you need to add that too plus a set of headphones.

8. SDD/Pathfinder to go in and edit the car's CCF data to enable the RSE options.

You could probably fit the 2015-16 system using similar steps and likely for less money as parts are more likely to be stocked, but you will definitely need to create an overlay harness to do so.

Total cost was around £4.5k. I did it because I like doing it, so unless you really want OEM there are better aftermarket solutions to entertain the kids.
Greetings XDave. Buying 2 Ipads would be so much easier, but I'm still leaning towards OEM after seeing that it is possible. I don't have a problem taking the interior apart. I'm comfortable there. I'm uncomfortable about knowing which parts to buy. The part numbers for Jaguar can be tricky. The majority of the parts will be used. Here's what I'm about to buy: Headrest x2. Removed from 2011 XJ. SAJWA1JC6BMV12414
Do I even need to buy this...? I'm really not concerned about the armrest. Can I just buy the remote below?

​​A few questions. What do you mean by create an overlay...? What is the telematics harness...? Any pictures and/or part numbers of it? Which RSE module should I buy? I don't want to go with a RR one. There's a few Jaguar modules out there. Not sure which one to go with. Lastly, can you send me a few pictures of your system that you installed in your XJ? Thanks.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member

For the 2011 system you need the armrest with the 'square' remote, not the one that looks like a TV remote. It is hardwired when in the armrest, but also doubles as an IR remote, and is the only way for the rear passengers to control the system so is needed.

The headrests and the armrest with remote shown appear to be matched to the donor VIN given, so getting them in one go would get you half way there.

What do you mean by create an overlay...? What is the telematics harness...?
The telematics harness is the name of the wiring harness that carries all the infotainment wires throughout the car. It is one of the two major body harnesses that cover the entire interior of the vehicle with around a hundred connectors for modules, child harnesses, etc.
Because it is so critical to the vehicle, and tied to a very specific VIN range, if it is replaced it needs to be the entire harness which is expensive and a full interior strip out (to the bare metal).
An overlay is where you just lay new wiring over the top of the existing wiring harness without first removing the old wiring. You then just swap the connectors over at any modules, etc, to use the overlay instead of the original harness. It is how you repair damaged wiring. Fortunately the RSE wiring is largely self contained and easy to strip out of a donor telematics harness and then fit to another car. IIRC the overlay can be made to only have the new RSE wiring and not require removal/disconnection-in-place of any existing wiring. Way easier to retrofit in the X351 than it was in the X350 before it because everything is now networked and programmed centrally.

Any pictures and/or part numbers of it?
I thought I did but can't find them on my computer so I may have deleted them after completing it.

Which RSE module should I buy?
The RSE modules changed (IIRC late 2013) when the remote changed between the square style and the TV remote style. The hardware loses one of the connectors on the side. I will need to familiarise myself with the different modules again, but WERS numbers starting CW93 will be 2013 so an AW93 was probably OEM for that donor vehicle.

can you send me a few pictures of your system that you installed in your XJ?
I will take some for you tomorrow when it stops raining. It is essentially the same as the 2011 RSE you are looking at but with the winged headrests (Google image search "xj ultimate headrests" to see the style, which where later an option on the normal retail models).

Old 07-30-2017, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

Fitted pics as promised. It should be identical to yours (if you go ahead) except for the front half of the headrests.

I have searched back through my eBay emails to try and find the part no's I fitted. Unfortunately as it was over 12 months ago the eBay links no longer work, but from the descriptions I have a couple of parts:

The RSE was BW93-11E001-AD. The *PLA ones have LR firmware but I'm unsure of the model (e.g. CPLA, etc). *J32 are RRS vehicles. Don't go past the 2013 revision (C prefix) as the hardware is different and the remote is incompatible. You can tell the modules apart because the later ones omit the brown LVDS connector and the green fakra connector (as well as pin differences to the grey connectors).

The screens etc you don't need as you have them listed above, so it should only be the harness. If you PM me with your full vehicle VIN I can try and identify the OEM telematics harness or a close match which you could buy from your dealer and use to create an overlay. (It is hard to get the as-built telematics harness as the metadata describing them in the JEPC is vague, but I should be able to get a match for the purposes of the overlay.)

The seat link harnesses are C2D16904 for those screens. You need one for each seat and they retail for about £60 each.

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar XJ Adding Rear Seat Entertainment-wp_20170730_08_34_45_pro.jpg   Jaguar XJ Adding Rear Seat Entertainment-wp_20170730_08_34_24_pro.jpg   Jaguar XJ Adding Rear Seat Entertainment-wp_20170730_08_35_51_pro.jpg   Jaguar XJ Adding Rear Seat Entertainment-wp_20170730_08_35_09_pro.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Djholm (03-22-2024)
Old 07-30-2017, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by xdave
Fitted pics as promised. It should be identical to yours (if you go ahead) except for the front half of the headrests.

I have searched back through my eBay emails to try and find the part no's I fitted. Unfortunately as it was over 12 months ago the eBay links no longer work, but from the descriptions I have a couple of parts:

The RSE was BW93-11E001-AD. The *PLA ones have LR firmware but I'm unsure of the model (e.g. CPLA, etc). *J32 are RRS vehicles. Don't go past the 2013 revision (C prefix) as the hardware is different and the remote is incompatible. You can tell the modules apart because the later ones omit the brown LVDS connector and the green fakra connector (as well as pin differences to the grey connectors).

The screens etc you don't need as you have them listed above, so it should only be the harness. If you PM me with your full vehicle VIN I can try and identify the OEM telematics harness or a close match which you could buy from your dealer and use to create an overlay. (It is hard to get the as-built telematics harness as the metadata describing them in the JEPC is vague, but I should be able to get a match for the purposes of the overlay.)

The seat link harnesses are C2D16904 for those screens. You need one for each seat and they retail for about £60 each.
XDave I'm so jealous! That's exactly what I want! I also found a pair of dvd headrest from a 2014 UK model XJ. Is there a benefit for going with a later model pair of headrest? I don't think that the armrest comes with it though. Will the standard tv looking remote work on the newer model? Which system would you recommend me going with, the 2011 or 2014? And why?

​​You have gorgeous setup in your XJ. Exactly what I'm looking for. I'm going to start digging around for parts now. Thanks.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:20 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

X Dave, I havent seen the rear entertainment set up yet, Looks awesome, and I love the front of the headrests too. Nice!

Old 07-31-2017, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ABrice
Will the standard tv looking remote work on the newer model?
No. The RSE hardware is different.

Originally Posted by ABrice
Which system would you recommend me going with, the 2011 or 2014? And why?
The systems with the 8" headrest-mounted screens are all operationally the same and except for the RSE module changes use the same wiring for the bulk of the system. Only the remote dock wiring is different. I chose to mix and match mine. I liked the chunkier remote with the touch screen built in from the earlier system, but wanted the winged headrests only offered with the 2013 system. They have the same contrast stitching as my seats, rather than the self-coloured piping of the earlier style. The headrests are also way more comfortable to recline in (like a nice soft pillow). The headrests are interchangeable, AFAIK the only requirement for compatibility is that the RSE and remote/dock match.

I am not familiar with the 10.1" systems, but I would be surprised if they did not share most of the same wiring and hardware.

I have safely received your PM with your VIN attached and will compile a reply to you privately to keep your vehicle details out of this thread.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:04 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Is it possible to trade your Jaguar for one that has this equipment already on it?

Old 08-01-2017, 02:50 AM

It is, but they're extremely rare and hard to find. Probably about 1 out of every 100 XJs have the RSE package. I searched all over the US looking for one. They're very hard find, especially if you're buying pre-owned. And then if you find one, will have it have all of the other options that you want on it? I like everything about the XJL that I have now. The illumination package, the ACC option, 20" wheels, the surround sound package, black alcantara headliner, low miles, etc. I'm not willing to give those options up for the RSE...if you can even find an XJ with that package. I'd rather just add the RSE later and keep the options. It's definitely possible...XDave has proven that!

Old 08-01-2017, 07:16 AM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

You have a good point.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

My XJ SuperSport came with RSE and we have used it, maybe, 4 hours in the almost 5 years we've had the XJ as the kids prefer to use their cell phones and Ipads.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by XJsss
My XJ SuperSport came with RSE and we have used it, maybe, 4 hours in the almost 5 years we've had the XJ as the kids prefer to use their cell phones and Ipads.
Yeah. You're probably right. I'm just being a brat. Lol. I've always preferred oem. XJsss sounds like you just made a good case to sell them to me. I couldnt have said it better myself. Lol. If you wanna sell your hardly ever used RSE system, let me know.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member

Funny, think I'll keep her in one piece.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:04 AM

Anyone know where this particular part is located? It's the wireless IR headphone transmitter, but where is it located...?

Old 08-12-2017, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

It goes in the headliner on the section between the front and rear shades.

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar XJ Adding Rear Seat Entertainment-img_0567.jpg  
Old 01-14-2018, 09:58 PM
Default Rear Seat Entertainment Installed!

Gents, just closing the loop on this thread. I did successfully install the rear entertainment system. I learned a tremendous amount about the electronics in an x351/XJ, and JLR SDD while undergoing this project, as I did all of the work myself. I kinda learned as I went along. It required a lot of labor and some technical knowledge. I'd rate it a 8/10 on the difficulty scale. This projest isn't for the faint of heart. If you're proficient at reading and understanding schematics and taking cars apart, then this project would probably be more like a 6/10.

I decided to do this project because I keep vehicles for life. I'm not the guy who trades cars every 2 years or leases. I'm in them for the long haul. So why not equip them with all of the features that you want on them? When looking for my XJL, I started out looking for one with a RSE package. I only found a few across the country. They would have the RSE package, but none of the other options that I was looking for such as the apdative cruise or the illumination package. Or the color wasn't right etc. So I compromised on the RSE.

Big thanks to XDave! He sent me all of his notes, diagrams, interior removals steps, etc. I bothered him with countless emails, as I was completely clueless before starting this. I spent about a month reading and attempting to comprehend the electrical schematics before starting this. I couldn't have done this, or the headlight upgrade without his help.

Here's some pictures during the project and afterwards:
Some of the entertaiment components laid out connected by the telematics harness before starting. They we're stripped from a salvaged XJL.
Stripped the trunk out!

Removed the back seat. Stripping the interior out, including the roof. Testing the dvd hearest to be sure that I wired everything in correctly. I eventually got the hearest recovered. The upholsterer primarily used the leather from my old hearest.

2013 Jaguar XJL

Quick summary.
-Requires all of the necessary rse components.
-Full interior strip.
-Installation of the rse components
-CCF file modification.

The following 5 users liked this post by ABrice:
christ (06-10-2018), lcmjaguar (01-14-2018), Panthro (05-07-2018), retriever-007 (06-13-2018), XJsss (01-15-2018)

Quick Reply: Jaguar XJ Adding Rear Seat Entertainment