XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Jaguar XJ Up For Auction - Warning Signs - Stay Away?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XJ Up For Auction - Warning Signs - Stay Away?

Hey guys,
I haven't been here in a while, I've been in the market to replace my current X350 for a newer Jaguar. I'm currently looking at this X351, but it's from an auction and has a salvage title from being in an accident. While it's very visually appealing, in fact it looks exactly like my dream car, I have some doubts and need you're opinions on my next move.
  1. I've never bought a Salvage Title vehicle before
  2. I obviously can't test drive it since it's from an auction, but I can inspect it; as I've done already.
  3. When trying to start the car up, it didn't, until I figured out the difficult task of getting to the battery in the trunk (from the ELECTRONIC trunk door)
  4. When I finally got it started, it showed several system faults, which is in the video below

List of System Faults:
  • Air Suspension Not In Customer Mode
  • Adaptive Dynamics Fault
  • Charging System Fault
  • ABS Fault
  • Stability Control Not Available
  • Emergency Brake Assist Not Available
  • Coolant Level Low
  • Brake Pads Worn
  • Blind Spot System Not Available

Have anybody here had any experience with any of these faults?

Immediately after I saw all of this, I was turned off. It had a buy it now price of $17.5k. It hadn't been approved for sale at the auction based on low bids and it's now up for auction at around $12k+.

It kind of interested me in it since the price dropped, but I'm wondering could this just be a money pit, so should I stay away? Or is it worth it?

My current X350 is having a coolant leak issue (need to replace water pump), so this is why I'm in the market for a new car.

Last edited by Jaguarcollector; 01-27-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

If you are still interested I'd pull a CARFAX history and also explore how if, it can be done, title the car.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:17 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 480 Likes on 368 Posts

My gut feeling is run, do not walk, away. You would be trading one known problem, a failed water pump, for at least nine problems (i.e. the coolant level low, could itself be a leaking water pump). Brake pads worn could mean the rotors need replacing as well. Many of the problems are safety issues. Far to many problems to be attributable to an "accident", unless the accident involved driving off a bridge into water.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

QBlaze, from the list of faults, I am suspecting 1 of 2 issues. The easier one to fix is that there is a network issue and the CAN bus (what transfers information around the car) has a module that is not functioning and it is cutting off all the other modules, leading to the faults. The question then becomes, are you willing to spend say $3000 on a dealership level analyzer to allow you to look at the modules to the point that you can see which module is stopping everything.

The other possibility is someone got into a wreck and submerged the car. This would introduce water into the computers and this can cause unknown faults. How many computers are you willing to replace?

I admit, if you are a dealership level tech, you could probably pick up the car and fix it, having a car that would be a dream to own for fairly little money. The issue comes when you go to trade it in. You will get next to nothing for the car (as you are finding out now). With this being said, there are states that don't recognize a "salvage title". So, you could buy the car, get an address in one of those states, register the car in that state to remove the "salvage" label from the title, then finally take it to CA to register it there. You would then most likely have a title that didn't say "Salvage" on it. Granted, when you sell the car, you are supposed to state that the car had a salvage title at one time. But, how many people would say something like that?

The following users liked this post:
jaguarxjl (01-31-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
My gut feeling is run, do not walk, away. You would be trading one known problem, a failed water pump, for at least nine problems (i.e. the coolant level low, could itself be a leaking water pump). Brake pads worn could mean the rotors need replacing as well. Many of the problems are safety issues. Far to many problems to be attributable to an "accident", unless the accident involved driving off a bridge into water.
Thanks for that input. Granted I have other issues with my current XJ, but yea I would be adding on more problems with this one just for looks.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:13 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

AGREE!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-28-2016, 08:54 PM
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Please heed this advice!