XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Loosing Faith on my XJ

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 10:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I think you have unreasonable expectations for a used luxury car. Your 2013 XJ is now 6 years old and components will start to wear out and not work. Your list of repairs is very short and minor in nature, yet you are exasperated and considering selling the car. This tells me you have no tolerance for things breaking down. Therefore, my recommendation is for you to trade your XJ in for a brand new Toyota model of your choice.
Completely disagree. I have driven Mercedes and Lexus to close to 100,000 miles and not had the problems I had with an XJL in less than 40,000. Ford improved the quality and hurt the luxury performance aspect but Jaguar is back to its old lower standards of reliability with TATA. Jaguar has never been known for reliability neither has Land Rover. The old joke is have a Mercedes for when the Jag or Land Rover is in the shop. The expectations are high for a Jaguar but not for most luxury cars. The work I have done on my XJL busted shock mounts, water pump replace, fuel pump replace, coolant tank replace, and coolant pipes under the supercharger replaced (TSB on it) was never done on my 2008 CLK except for shock mounts. 97,000 miles on that CLK and replaced struts, mounts, and back shocks and springs (not really needed but the work was being done on the front), head liner on sunshade, and headlight assemblies (maybe they could have been refurbished but the headlight bracket was broken on one). All of that was above 90k miles. About 7k in 10 years. My XJL has had close to 10k spent in broken parts in 5 years (2014). I am leaving out the engine replacement because if the coolant leak had been caught it would not have been needed. Included that and it is $35k in repairs in 5 years.

This IS NOT expected from any used luxury car less than 5 years old. Struts on Mercedes typically last 50,000 miles (80k KM) or more. The 50k is only if you are driving on bad roads a lot. The Jag didn't even get to 40,000 before the shock mounts were shot. The car is over engineered with too many parts to break that don't really add that much to luxury and performance. If you buy one you do need to be aware this is going to be expensive to maintain which is why the previous owner probably traded it in when the warranty was up. There are much more reliable luxury cars out there. Porsche (new to luxury), BMW, Audi, and Mercedes come to mind. Anyone buying a Jag should know you are going to spend a lot more maintaining this car than you will other luxury brands. The luxury and performance are unsurpassed. It is the most beautiful and powerful car I have ever had but it has also been the most costly and the cost incurred more often and earlier than any other car I have ever had. I had the car about 3 days over the last 2 months while they try to find out when the camshaft sensors codes are blinking on a brand new engine and wait for parts. Another at least 5k into it since extended warranty won't cover and it still isn't fixed. I am ready to get rid of mine. It is straining my finances and even if it wasn't I have better things to spend 2 to 5K a pop on.

Last edited by jjweatherby; 08-13-2018 at 11:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
QP7 (01-22-2024)
Old 08-13-2018, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

My Jaguar F-type is a highly problematic car that requires high maintenance. Before that my Mercedes SL was highly problematic car that required high maintenance. Before that my BMW 7 series was highly problematic car that required high maintenance. You got to pay to play - eat depreciation on a new car or pay mechanic's bills on a used car. While it is possible that I am just extremely unlucky with all my cars, it is extremely improbable considering how many cars I owned.

You know what never breaks down? Toyota Highlander. Just unbelievable, only consumables and it is now well into its second decade. If it throws a rod tomorrow, it will still be the most reliable car I ever owned.