XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Major electrical issues and Jaguar "CRC"

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 10:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MMofB,

I was only a few miles out of (less then 2,000 and the car had always been serviced at Jaguar of West Columbia because I had the free service package from when I bought it) and was only a few months out of warranty.

I'm not going to make a major investment in the car. The car has no value, Jaguar of West Columbia would not give any trade in value nor would a any other dealer, so I keep because there really is no other use for it outside of just scrapping it. I have other cars so it's not like its my only car. I keep my cars in good shape, there is not a scratch on the exterior and the leather looks brand new. It only has about 57,000 miles on it and the rest of the car, even the water pump, seems to be in good shape. So every mile I get out of it is a "free mile". I just drive it locally to and from work and the such. Would never drive more then 30 miles or so from my house.

Could I even get an extended warranty on it at this time? What if Thermo and/or Jaguar of Annapolis would get the car in proper order could I get an extended warranty then, I'm not going to put $5,000 in it but if I could "re-set" it economically I would consider an extended warranty at that point.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:54 AM

A final resolution (Hopefully) and a nice outcome for me. They fixed the car, and even better, did not charge me.

Took my car to Jaguar of Annapolis (J of A) last week for an analysis of the car. They knew all the history of the problems I had, including my issue with Jim Coleman Jaguar and non response from Jaguar CRC. I told them I would never buy another Jag or Land Rover do to my experience with both aforementioned parties. They smiled and asked if they produced a good outcome would I maybe debate buying form them in the future.

The outcome. Quoted directly from the invoice. "Perform checkout and found the satellite radio module disconnected from the system. it appears that an attempted repair had been made to bypass the unit. Reconnected the satellite radio module and reset system. Test drove vehicle on 3 occasions and found all systems operating as intended. Simply reconnected them to factory spec".

More on the above from my discussions with the technician. It seems the satellite radio module is temperamental and expensive to replace ($1,600 for the unit). Most people don't replace the the module and when there is an electrical issue similar to what I had, many people try to bypass the module to fix the problem. It appears that is what happened to my car.

In addition to the satellite module, another weakness in the entertainment loop is just under the drivers seat where the wire come in from the modules in the trunk. J of A told me to be careful of spills form the drivers seat as it can damage the wires under the seat,

J of A was wonderful to deal with unlike my dreadful experience with Jaguar CRC and Jim Coleman Jaguar.

The following users liked this post:
QP7 (10-17-2023)
Old 01-05-2019, 01:12 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Good to hear that you got a good answer to what your issues were. Granted, I would keep an eye on the satellite radio unit because of what they said and them not replacing it. Hopefully your actual problem was just that the plug was loose and causing intermittent issues. But, if the problems return, you atleast know what component will need to be replaced.

QP7 (10-17-2023)
Old 01-06-2019, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

What a difference a good competent dealer can make. I am so happy I have one of those and it has made for a delightful ownership experience over several XJs

QP7 (10-17-2023)
Old 01-10-2019, 09:09 AM

They guy's from Jaguar of Annapolis actually called me last night to confirm that the car was running ok. I've been very impressed with them, best service I've ever gotten from a dealer regardless of the Brand. They are awesome to deal with.

Thermo, they think they solved the problem by making sure all the connections in the Satellite radio module were tight. I've driven it every day this week without any issues.

QP7 (10-17-2023)
Old 01-10-2019, 09:55 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Enjoy the kitty and drive it with confidence, but also keep your eye open for any potential lingering effects. I would not anticipate something, but if there is something left, easier to get them to look at it should you find it soon.

QP7 (10-17-2023)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,765 Posts

What a shame that such a simple repair took so much pain and time to fix!!
Glad you got it repaired RIGHT!
And reporting back so we can at least see a successful repair!

Old 10-17-2023, 01:32 PM
QP7
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
What a shame that such a simple repair took so much pain and time to fix!!
Glad you got it repaired RIGHT!
And reporting back so we can at least see a successful repair!
100% Agree.

What an amazing thread. Rdmartin so glad you got it all fixed. And very good to know there is a great dealership out there in your part of the world...