XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Major electrical issues and Jaguar "CRC"

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 01:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haha,

Good one Agent Orange. I think I'll take mine to Jaguar Annapolis after Christmas and have them look at it and the entertainment system which continue to be totally dead. I'll ask them about the water pump and should a I replace it.

My car continues to be stable at this point. Even used the trunk today,. When the car would go into "safe mode" the trunk would not open.

still have not heard a thing from Jaguar CRC.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:27 PM

In the classic "You can't make this stuff up" out of the blue today, some 5+ months later I FINALLY heard from Jaguar CRC. I have no clue why they suddenly called me out of the blue this afternoon. I got a curt "We are not going to do anything for your and consider this case closed". By their actions it never seemed like there was an open case.

So bizarre.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:40 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by rdmartin
In the classic "You can't make this stuff up" out of the blue today, some 5+ months later I FINALLY heard from Jaguar CRC. I have no clue why they suddenly called me out of the blue this afternoon. I got a curt "We are not going to do anything for your and consider this case closed". By their actions it never seemed like there was an open case.

So bizarre.
This is my first time seeing this thread. I guess you are still driving it and never did the trade and trade again? I am also in MD and go to Columbia for service. My warranty ends in May so I am considering a trade as well. Not sure for what though.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:49 PM

Update,

While not driving it much at all since the last message, the car had been running since the last report in March with everything on "The entertainment loop" (radio, nav blue tooth) not working at all...ie dead and blacked out on the dash board. Suddenly, on Tuesday the whole default mode and the continuous scrolling of every fault message in the scrolling along the dash started again with the car in limp mode. Talked to Annapolis Jaguar and am going to try and get the car down there next week so may get to a final resolution.

I've been impressed with Jaguar Annapolis so far. I will update when I get a result.

R-

Old 09-20-2018, 03:45 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

rdmartin, if you ever need someone to help you with something, let me know. I am just south of you in California, MD. I have a lot of tools that we can get stuff done with.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:36 PM

Thanks Thermo,

If your interested would love to connect with you. I think you would find it to be an intellectual interesting effort. Your in Southern Maryland, I'm limited to about 35 miles an hour in "default mode" I could not get the car done to you. There are clearly some smart and mechanically inclined people on this site, like rhomanski who has commented in this thread, I'm clearly not one of those guys. You are the kind of people that should own Jaguars, people like me, who can't work on their cars, really should own these cars.

Let me know if you want connect offline. I can send you a quick video of the car in the default mode.

R-

Old 10-02-2018, 02:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a 2011 Jaguar XJ new from Jim Coleman Jaguar in Columbia, Md. The car was plagued with electrical issues the first time I drove it. The heating system keep failing. Jim Coleman did eventually fix that. The radio works about 4 out of every 5 times I drive it at the blue tooth works about 50% of the time. I have recently been plagued with what is best described as a catastrophic electrical failure. The car goes into "limp mode" and almost every "failure" possible scrolls across the dashboard. The car has only 53,000 easy miles (of course just outside of the warranty period..lucky me) on it and I have kept the car in mint shape. Both a local repair shop and Jim Coleman Jaguar can not find the problem and have both stated that I should scrap the car as regardless of how much money I spend on diagnostics, they can not make a guarantee they can ever find the problem.

Jim Coleman refereed my to Jaguar "CRC" to file a complaint and see if Jaguar would assume some responsibility in finding out the problem. I did file the complaint (8000474463 in case they actually look at this forum). So far, after three weeks, I've only been ignored by Jaguar CRC. Has anyone had any experience with them or is just a fraud and they will never answer me and hope I just go away?
Even if they do respond they may not help much. I had a part warranty on the new engine but they would only at best pay for the broken part and none of the labor to get it or the seals and gaskets that needed to be replaced to get there. I was told they didn't pay diagnostics and the over $4,000 in labor and $1,500 in parts to tear down the engine to get to the timing wasn't covered. About $6,000 in the end and Jaguar only offered to pay $500 for the broken timing parts. The dealer cut it down to $4,400 but still. In the end if they find a faulty component they probably won't pay for it since it is out of warranty but if they do they won't pay thousands in diagnostics if it takes that.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:33 PM

Update,

While not driving it much at all since the last message, the car had been running since the last report in March with everything on "The entertainment loop" (radio, nav blue tooth) not working at all...ie dead and blacked out on the dash board. Suddenly, on Tuesday the whole default mode and the continuous scrolling of every fault message in the scrolling along the dash started again with the car in limp mode. Talked to Annapolis Jaguar and am going to try and get the car down there next week so may get to a final resolution.

I've been impressed with Jaguar Annapolis so far. I will update when I get a result.

R-
I don't want to sound flippant here but have you replaced the battery. A weak battery that isn't bad can cause a lot of problems. I had the instrument panel black out on me and the air shocks adjust in weird ways. Replaced the battery and no more problems. After buying a Pep Boys battery that wasn't AMG, I think it is worth getting the Jaguar battery. Even a "good" battery that is not at full strength can cause a whole host of weird problems. It is hard for some reason to find AMG batteries that fit jaguar at least here in Houston, TX it is. I don't recommend just putting in any battery that fits the specs in any luxury car today. The Jaguar is even worse needing power to even show the speedomoter. Just another example of looking cool vs. practical. A manual speedometer works just fine and isn't dependent on your battery. I have had my battery check out as being good but because it has lost power over time like all batteries do, it was causing all sorts of weird problems.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:55 PM

Thanks jjweatherby,

Yes, the battery is new. I also always lock the car even when it's in the garage. As I mentioned earlier, Jaguar CRC told me "tough luck". They are totally useless.

The car acted up a couple of weeks ago. Made contact with Thermo per the thread message above. Been texting with Thermo a lot over the last few weeks. He has been giving me things to do to try and get the fault to trigger again, So far, we have been able to. I've even send him "codes" from a scanner offline as well as videos. He seems very smart and savvy, I think he is leaning toward a "lower radio unit" failure. He can add to this on the forum if he wants.

I went to an independent shop the other day and asked for a quote to replace the lower radio unit. Have not received a quote yet. I may run down to a friend of his who owns a shop in Virginia later in time.

And the almost comical thing about this is I may have the only XJ made with a quality water pump......go figure. I always have it looked at.

R

Old 10-02-2018, 03:17 PM

Thanks jjweatherby,

As I mentioned earlier, Jaguar CRC told me "tough luck". They are totally useless.
Honestly that is why I am never buying a Jag or a Land Rover again. This is the attitude they have with any problem. After scolding you that you have should have done this or that they won't own up to anything. The dealer says they checked the car out and did a 196 point inspection but that coolant leak and the busted shock mount that was squeaking a mile down the road must have happened when I hit the freeway. The customer service isn't even subpar. They would have to get better to be that. The whole attitude is you knew Jags break down when you bought one. There is a reason they only sold 200,000 cars worldwide in a 5 year period while Mercedes, Audi, and BMW each sold 8 million. If you ever get a chance to watch the grand tour episode where they try to prove Jaguars are a reliable car do so. I am not sure if you will laugh or cry when you see it and realize it is the same stuff you are going through. It opens with James May saying my CEL is on just to remind me the CEL works. Clarkson is next saying the traction control, stability control etc. are out because Jaguar knew in the future people wouldn't want those features so they designed them to fail.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:46 PM

I hear you! But for the guys that can work their own cars, they are great deal. The depreciate fast but are a lot of car for the money if you can keep it on the road. I don't have a radio, its truly amazing how quiet the car is. If Jaguar had taken care of my issue, I probably would have bought a Land Rover next and replaced my XJ with another in the future.

The following users liked this post:
QP7 (10-17-2023)
Old 10-02-2018, 05:58 PM
Veteran member

rdmartin, I think we are chasing 2 issues with your car. You have the radio issue and then there is a high speed can bus issue. The two are not related from what I can tell (the ECU and TCM CAN bus issues indicate one network and the radio would be on the MOST bus for the audio system). If you get your hands on a new control panel, it would appear that this can be installed without any programming. so, if you want a helping hand, come on down and we can get things sorted out for you. There doesn't seem to be a need for the programming from what I can see in the instructions on replacement of the control knobs.

With the radio replacement seeming to be a possibility, there is something that I want you to try. Because only your radio button is not working, reading the diagnostic charts, this can be caused by a function of the radio having an issue. To keep things simple, I would say to have the car parked and release the e-brake and then open the trunk/boot of your car and disconnect the radio for say a minute or so. This should be more than long enough to cause all the modules to reset. You can then reconnect the battery. Of note, when you do this, you will need to reset the e-brake lever and the auto up/down of the windows. Resetting the e-brake is simply setting the e-brake. The instrument cluster will walk you through this. To reset the windows, you will simply take each window (one at a time) and hold the button in the direction that you want to calibrate and allow the window to go the full travel distance. Once the window stops, keep holding the button for an additional 3 seconds or so (you may hear a relay click, this would be a sign that you can release the switch). You can then take the window full travel the other direction and keep holding the button for the 3ish seconds after the window stops. Repeat for the other 3 windows and sun roof.

As for my friend that has his shop, he is not running the shop any more. So, that will not be an option at this point.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:50 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jjweatherby
Even if they do respond they may not help much. I had a part warranty on the new engine but they would only at best pay for the broken part and none of the labor to get it or the seals and gaskets that needed to be replaced to get there. I was told they didn't pay diagnostics and the over $4,000 in labor and $1,500 in parts to tear down the engine to get to the timing wasn't covered. About $6,000 in the end and Jaguar only offered to pay $500 for the broken timing parts. The dealer cut it down to $4,400 but still. In the end if they find a faulty component they probably won't pay for it since it is out of warranty but if they do they won't pay thousands in diagnostics if it takes that.
Hi jjweatherby,

Thank you for your post.

I am deeply sorry to learn of this.

If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thanks,

Chand - Jaguar UK

Old 10-03-2018, 06:05 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Reading stories like this make me glad I traded my XJ for an F150.

The following users liked this post:
QP7 (10-17-2023)
Old 10-05-2018, 02:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by JagGate
Reading stories like this make me glad I traded my XJ for an F150.
I replaced mine with a Cadillac XTS, but I got the same feeling of relief.

Dwayne

Old 10-06-2018, 12:11 PM

jjweatherby,

You actually woke up Barney Fife at Jaguar CRC. They proved to be totally inept and useless to me.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,216 Likes on 1,754 Posts

RDmartin stay with it if you can!

Thermo is very good but I encourage you to post concise details of all you have found.
We have others that might be able help and the best of all several real Jaguar techs.
So post away as this thread is getting a bit messy.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:56 PM
Veteran member

clubairth1, I will try and summarize what I have been told through a series of e-mails, posts here, and texts. He seems to have 2 issues. The first being that the entertainment section of the car (nav, A/C, and radio) seems to work fine with the exception that anything dealing with the audio of the car will not work. If you look at the home screen, the radio portion of the screen is greyed out. In my looking, this is indicating that there is a failed module associated with the radio and this has caused the radio to go into fail mode, which is causing the greyed out indication. I suggested that he try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to allow all the modules associated with the radio to reset to see if we can get the radio back. if a single module fails, it can cause the radio to do what he is seeing if it was the module in use at the time of the fault. he is also contemplating replacing the button assembly of the radio to see if that may clear things up (not done yet).

As for the second issue, what is happening is when the car is being driven, it will randomly go into limp mode, locking the car's tranny into 3rd gear and restricting the motor to 3,000 RPM. It also lights a lot of lights on the dash. When the codes were pulled for the car, the codes were relating to essentially every computer on the high speed CAN bus not transmitting data. There was one that was specific to no link between the ECU and TCM (not sure if this may play into things or not). I have been having him play with the car some to see if we can make the fault occur again. We have tried driving the car through puddles (exposing a potentially bad connector to water to cause the failure), driving the car over bumpy conditions (to shake something loose to cause the fault), driving with the heat on to heat up the dash to cause a computer to fail due to running too hot, and even using the radio as much as he can to see if somehow the radio is playing into the engine problem. So far, the car has performed flawlessly. So, hard to say what is causing the issue at this point as I don't have a smoking gun yet. the only test that I can think that could possibly be run is to connect up an SDD computer to the OBD port and have it test the data lines between all the high speed CAN bus computers to see if we can catch an issue. But, I don't have a SDD computer and the only way I know that it could be done is to take it to the dealership. But, this is a long shot.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:06 AM

Thermo has very accurately summed up where I am with the car. He has given me some more things this to try which I was hoping to do this weekend but life got in the way. Will try and do it in the next weekend or two. Thermo has been great to deal with.

I also mention Jaguar CRC not just to complain but to also help others. Jaguar of West Columbia, the local dealer here in Maryland made a big deal about them helping. CRC has been totally useless in the process.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:34 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I also mention Jaguar CRC not just to complain but to also help others. Jaguar of West Columbia, the local dealer here in Maryland made a big deal about them helping. CRC has been totally useless in the process.
Hello from a former "neighbor" in Bethesda. Sorry to hear about all your problems. I had a better result dealing with CRC, but I was only a few days out of warranty. (At least, I assume that when my service advisor informed me that the repairs would be handled by Jaguar as "good will", that refers to CRC.) I have a 2014 XJL that just had $14,000 worth of repairs done in the last month (plus a few extra days) of my warranty, which expired on Sept. 29th. Here's a link to my thread on these issues: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...timing-208670/

Although I love my car, the above has me seriously thinking about trading it in on a new XJL, or at the very least, a late model CPO. I'm very leery now about keeping this car without warranty protection. Which leads me to my question: Why are you still dealing with the aggravation and expense of your 2011 XJ? The whole car can't be worth more than $20k at this point, so how much money do you want to put into it to solve your continuing electrical problems? And, of course, even if you finally get that corrected, there's nothing to guarantee that some other expensive item might fail.

Although your (and my) car had a 4yr/50k warranty, the 2016s and above have 5yr/60k warranties. And if you purchase a CPO, that will add even more time and mileage to worry-free driving. I think that's where I'm headed, and I suggest that you do the same. Putting up with your XJL's myriad problems for six years is long enough. It's time to cut bait.