XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Exquisite Timing

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 12:10 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Exquisite Timing

I was driving home from Miami Beach on I-95 in my 2014 XJL yesterday afternoon when all of a sudden I experienced rumbling and shaking. At first I thought I might have a flat tire, but then I noticed the check engine light on the dash started flashing. As I looked to see how far I was from an exit (I was close), I stepped on the gas and noticed a lack of power, as well as heavy smoke coming out of the tailpipe. I made it to the bottom of the exit ramp and pulled onto the cross street and turned the car engine off. I subsequently had the car towed to the local Jaguar dealership.

Today I was advised that the problem is a bad injector, and that the service department will be replacing all of the injectors on that side of the engine, as well as all spark plugs and changing the fluids. The car was just in for its annual service two weeks ago and the transmission mounts were replaced. No other mechanical problems were noted, although there was an issue with the Nav screen and the entire unit was replaced.

So why do I consider my car breaking down on an Interstate highway yesterday afternoon to be exquisite timing?

My warranty is due to expire tomorrow, Sept. 29th.

(Oh, and my service advisor told me that the replacement of the nav unit and transmission mount would have cost me $6,700. I don't know what today's repairs would have cost, but I assume it would have been significant. Perhaps its time to look for a new XJL, lol.)

The following users liked this post:
Breaker (09-28-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Your timing was exquisite! If I were you, I'd be concerned about what tomorrow holds, once the warranty has expired. These cars can and do rack up expensive repairs faster than you can count. I threw in the towel and traded mine on a new Cadillac, but if you're still enamored with the XJL, my advice would be to trade it in on a new one while it's still in the shop; God only knows what might go wrong on the drive home! Good luck!

Dwayne

Old 09-29-2018, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by dga57
Your timing was exquisite! If I were you, I'd be concerned about what tomorrow holds, once the warranty has expired. These cars can and do rack up expensive repairs faster than you can count. I threw in the towel and traded mine on a new Cadillac, but if you're still enamored with the XJL, my advice would be to trade it in on a new one while it's still in the shop; God only knows what might go wrong on the drive home! Good luck!

Dwayne
I am seriously considering doing just that. Or if not that, at the very least trading it in for a late model CPO. I've never had one of these out of warranty, and I'm not sure I want to start now, lol. Ironically, I have been shopping for an F-Type CPO over the past couple of weeks to replace our older model SL-500 because I'm getting tired of putting money into it. (Over $6k just this year, which in retrospect, was incredibly stupid.) So now, it looks like I'm going to need to decide which of our two cars to replace, because I really don't want to do both at the same time.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:05 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by MadManOfBethesda
...... I don't know what today's repairs would have cost, but I assume it would have been significant. .....
I can tell you what it would have cost at a Jaguar Dealer in Europe because I recently had the misfortune of a similar incident with my XK 5.0 litre over 1000 miles and 2 countries away from home. For the replacement of 8 plugs and 1 injector, the bill was 1049 Euro / $1220.

Replacing the other 3 injectors on the same bank would have increased the bill to 1700 Euro/ $1975 but was not deemed necessary.

Graham

Old 09-29-2018, 10:00 PM

^^^^^
Thanks for that info; that's very interesting. When I pick up my car next week, I'll ask to see the dealer's copy of the invoice that they use to bill Jaguar for warranty service and report back here what the total cost was.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:07 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

The same thing happened to my 2011 XJL SC. All four injectors on the driver's side replaced, fluids replaced, 4 plugs, same as your repair. My bill came to just under USD $2,800.00. You were, indeed, lucky to have it covered under warranty.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by JaguarJeffrey
The same thing happened to my 2011 XJL SC. All four injectors on the driver's side replaced, fluids replaced, 4 plugs, same as your repair. My bill came to just under USD $2,800.00. You were, indeed, lucky to have it covered under warranty.
I have an interesting update to this thread......well, actually two interesting updates.

Update #1: I received a phone call from my service advisor at COB Tuesday letting me know that my car was ready and that I could come by yesterday anytime before noon to return my loaner (2019 F-Pace) and pick up my car. As my wife and I had 12:30pm dental appointments scheduled, we planned our arrival at the dealership to give us time to scout out new cars in the showroom before picking up our car and driving to the dentist. Based on the posts by GGG and JaguarJeffrey above, I had expected the repair cost to be in the neighborhood of $2k - $3k. I was somewhat taken aback when my advisor showed me the invoice and it stated that the warranty service was $5,165! The only extra costs that I noted from those already discussed in this thread was that in addition to replacing the three injectors on the driver's side, they also replaced a leaking injector on the passenger's side. They also replaced the vacuum pump, performed an engine idle sweep, a compression test, and a supercharger bypass valve calibration. I have no idea if all that work combined warranted a charge of $5,165, but I was just grateful that I didn't have to pay any of it.

Update #2: We left the dealership and started heading for our dentist's office about 12 miles away. About halfway there, my dashboard lit up with a Low Coolant warning. I called my service advisor from the car, told him what had happened, and then said we'd bring the car back right after our appointments. Interestingly, on the drive back to the dealership, the low coolant warning was going on and off intermittently. I had been hoping that perhaps the mechanic just hadn't filled the reservoir sufficiently, but when I didn't receive a call back from my service advisor by COB yesterday, I figured that the problem was a little more serious.

I finally heard back around noon today what the problems - plural - are. The bad news is that I now need a new water pump, thermostat, and a couple of other items that I don't exactly remember. Total cost for parts and labor: $2,100. The good news is that Jaguar is going to cover the cost under "good will." However, there is one little twist to this: I was told that I could have 100% of the cost covered, but without any warranty whatsoever to the cooling system; or I could pay 10% (roughly $210) and be given a 12-month warranty on the replaced parts and labor. I chose the latter.

So the bottom line is that in the last three weeks of my four-year warranty (plus a few days thanks to Jaguar's good will program), I have received roughly $14,000 of warranty work on my 2014 XJL. I'm just hoping for no more surprises in the immediate future!

Old 10-05-2018, 02:14 AM
Veteran Member

The last 2000 miles of my factory warranty was when my XJL started self-destructing. I know I'm cynical, but I can't help wondering if they are somehow "programmed" to do that! Personally, based on my own experiences, I would have taken the 100% coverage on the repair and traded that car without ever leaving the dealership. That way, whatever surprises it holds in store will be someone else's problem; not yours.

Dwayne

Old 11-02-2018, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by dga57
The last 2000 miles of my factory warranty was when my XJL started self-destructing. I know I'm cynical, but I can't help wondering if they are somehow "programmed" to do that! Personally, based on my own experiences, I would have taken the 100% coverage on the repair and traded that car without ever leaving the dealership. That way, whatever surprises it holds in store will be someone else's problem; not yours.
Well, here's my final update to this thread.

I decided to get rid of my car and had been negotiating with an out-of-town Jaguar dealer for a leftover 2018 XJL, but we ended up being about $1,500 apart. While this was going on, I discovered and test drove a 2018 Genesis G80 3.3T Sport, which I found was a very nice car and performed very similarly to my XJL, albeit while being about 10 inches shorter and $20-k - $25k cheaper. So when my negotiations with the Jaguar dealer came to an end, I located a dealer in Virginia who had a 2019 G80 3.3T Sport in the color I wanted (Polar Ice) and I'm flying up there tomorrow to pick it up and drive it home. Here's a link to a short YouTube video on the G80 (in Polar Ice) if anyone is interested.

The final irony is that I just closed a deal to sell my 2014 XJL to a local Chevy dealer for exactly $1,500 more than the out-of-town Jaguar dealership was offering me as a trade-in. If they hadn't low-balled the trade-in, I would have closed the deal with them on the 2018 XJL last week instead of buying the G80 two days ago.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member

Congratulations on the new car! I've never driven a Genesis but I assume it would be similar, to some extent, to the Kia K900. My cousin bought one of those and invited me to take a spin in it; amazing car for the price! I watched the video and am surprised at how American the G80 is in appearance. Inside, it isn't appreciably different from my Cadillac. I miss the aesthetics of the XJL (mine was Lunar Grey also, but with Jet interior) but I love the peace of mind I have now. I've had the Cadillac for eight trouble-free months now; longer than my XJL ever stayed out of the shop. My hand was rather forced because I broke down out of town in an unfamiliar area. When the tow truck arrived, I asked the whereabouts of the nearest Jaguar dealership and it wasn't close. I then asked about other luxury dealers and was told there were Cadillac, Lincoln, and Lexus stores all situated within sight of one another a few miles from where we were. I instructed the driver to take it to whichever of those dealers he thought had the best reputation... he chose the Cadillac store. The staff there was so pleasant, kind, and helpful that, in mulling over our options, my wife and I decided to leave there in a new Cadillac XTS (wanted a CT6 but the only one they had in stock was a base model so we ended up buying a highly optioned XTS instead). I truly haven't regretted the decision. We've driven it on several trips and it has performed flawlessly. In a more controlled environment, we probably would have shopped other brands as well, but I'm perfectly happy with the decision we made. Hope you'll enjoy your new G80!

Dwayne