XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Major electrical issues and Jaguar "CRC"

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 03:58 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by rdmartin
I bought a 2011 Jaguar XJ new from Jim Coleman Jaguar in Columbia, Md. The car was plagued with electrical issues the first time I drove it. The heating system keep failing. Jim Coleman did eventually fix that. The radio works about 4 out of every 5 times I drive it at the blue tooth works about 50% of the time. I have recently been plagued with what is best described as a catastrophic electrical failure. The car goes into "limp mode" and almost every "failure" possible scrolls across the dashboard. The car has only 53,000 easy miles (of course just outside of the warranty period..lucky me) on it and I have kept the car in mint shape. Both a local repair shop and Jim Coleman Jaguar can not find the problem and have both stated that I should scrap the car as regardless of how much money I spend on diagnostics, they can not make a guarantee they can ever find the problem.

Jim Coleman refereed my to Jaguar "CRC" to file a complaint and see if Jaguar would assume some responsibility in finding out the problem. I did file the complaint (8000474463 in case they actually look at this forum). So far, after three weeks, I've only been ignored by Jaguar CRC. Has anyone had any experience with them or is just a fraud and they will never answer me and hope I just go away?
Hi Rdmartin

Thank you for your post I am sorry to learn of your concerns. Should you require any further assistance please PM me your vehicle details and I will ensure these are passed onto the relevant team.

Thanks, Stacie

Old 11-28-2017, 07:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stacie,

I have my Complaint number in the message, you can look it up. I filed the complaint with Jaguar per the request of the dealer, Jim Coleman. It was almost a month ago and outside of auto-response type of messages, I have heard nothing from Jaguar. Jaguar CRC promises a 24 hour response.I tried to be patient, I don't know what else to do but to go out into the public domain and try and solicit help. If Jaguar CRC ever engages me and does take care of the issue in a satisfactory manner I will certainly make it know on the forum.

My complaint number is 8000474463.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stacie,

I have my Complaint number in the message, you can look it up. I filed the complaint with Jaguar per the request of the dealer, Jim Coleman. It was almost a month ago and outside of auto-response type of messages, I have heard nothing from Jaguar. Jaguar CRC promises a 24 hour response.I tried to be patient, I don't know what else to do but to go out into the public domain and try and solicit help. If Jaguar CRC ever engages me and does take care of the issue in a satisfactory manner I will certainly make it know on the forum.

My complaint number is 8000474463.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
I think you'll find they were after a PM to speed things up, as not everybody can look at all boards on all forums daily

Old 11-28-2017, 09:13 PM

Thanks for the reply TheBoy,

While she did reach out, she did not leave either a last name or extension. I have tried to call and email the CRC multiple times and have never gotten anything but an auto reply. Trust me, it's not for lack of me trying.

I actually did go visit another Jaguar dealer here in Maryland tonight. They, unlike Jim Coleman, did not think that me trying to work through CRC was going to lead to anything. The other dealer was very engaging with me, spent time with me and had some repair guys that they think are top notch. I was very impressed with them. They spoke of being able to return "lemon cars" that have to be bought back legally to the road. I think I am going to move my car to them. I really have nothing left to lose. They also discussed about helping me salvage the car to maximize value should they not be able to repair it.

I asked Jim Coleman to quote me a price for the car but so far have not gotten a response.

The saga continues. Has anyone ever actually gotten the Customer Relations Center (CRC) to engage them?

Old 11-29-2017, 02:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

If they have they're unlikely to be reading this thread so don't expect any to post here.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:37 AM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

I belong to a couple GM forums as well and have seen them trolling the forums. They have helped some with mixed results.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the reply TheBoy,

While she did reach out, she did not leave either a last name or extension. I have tried to call and email the CRC multiple times and have never gotten anything but an auto reply. Trust me, it's not for lack of me trying.

I actually did go visit another Jaguar dealer here in Maryland tonight. They, unlike Jim Coleman, did not think that me trying to work through CRC was going to lead to anything. The other dealer was very engaging with me, spent time with me and had some repair guys that they think are top notch. I was very impressed with them. They spoke of being able to return "lemon cars" that have to be bought back legally to the road. I think I am going to move my car to them. I really have nothing left to lose. They also discussed about helping me salvage the car to maximize value should they not be able to repair it.

I asked Jim Coleman to quote me a price for the car but so far have not gotten a response.

The saga continues. Has anyone ever actually gotten the Customer Relations Center (CRC) to engage them?
But did you PM user "CRC@Jaguar" as requested, so they can try to push it along?

Old 11-30-2017, 09:47 PM

rhomanski,

Thought you, in particular, would enjoy the latest update.You got me thinking about how bad can the car really be and someone getting away with a total deal on it; combined with the following events....leads to the following update.

I had sort of gone from anger to resignation this past weekend with the car. As I mentioned, I went to Jim Coleman last weekend and asked them to quote me on buying the car and also quote me buying the car combined with buying the cheapest car on the lot. Jim Coleman never gave me a quote for either option, and to some degree, not a surprise as my interactions with their General Manager, unlike the Service Director, were difficult at best. We really don't get along.

It became clear to me that Jim Coleman was not going to help me at all with the situation so I went to Jaguar of Annapolis on Tuesday night. I engaged them and wow, they could not have been more professional or pleasant to deal with. We jointly made a plan to move the car down there as they do not think that this issue should be fatal to the car and they really want to help me out. I've driven the car from time to time on the weekends for really short distances. During this time the radio, bluetooth and rear view camera have gone from working from time to time to flat out not working at all. Coincidentally, while this items have totally died versus working intermittently, I can no longer get the car to go into the "total default" mode where it goes into safe mode. I drove all the way from Columbia to Annapolis today, about 30 miles and the car never tripped.

Jaguar Annapolis and I discussed options today and we decided, with all the defaults being cleared and the battery dying while at Jim Coleman, all the codes could not be read and doing a diagnostic would not be ideal. So the decision was made for me to drive the car to see if the full default mode could be replicated as whatever was effecting the radio maybe what is triggering the fault. I have driven probably about 80 miles today without incident. If we can't trigger the default I will return the car to Jaguar Annapolis at the end of December for them to fix the radio, bluetooth and camera.

Jaguar CRC is still missing in action.

The saga continues.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:02 PM

Oh boy! This computerized stuff can be a real pain. Someone else was having problems and it turned out to be an alternator putting out too much voltage. They replaced the alternator and the battery and all was well with him. Hope yours could be as simple. Power is one of the first things to look at though so yours should have been checked long ago. It could be though, that the radio was dragging power down and it's finally given up the ghost and blown the fuse. It's almost impossible to say from here. Glad to hear you found some help. Best of luck to you my friend.

Keep us updated!

The following users liked this post:
QP7 (10-17-2023)
Old 12-01-2017, 09:11 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Just a heads up, my 2013 x5 had all the same symptoms as your xj, radio was hit or miss, screens would flicker, it was throwing faults all the time, and always go into limp mode. I got used to stopping and restarting the car a few times and it would fix itself for a while. Anyway no one could figure out what was wrong. And finally a local indie shop diagnosed some sort of power regulator went bad dealing with the alternator and battery just as the other guy on here had with his XJ. Anyway, new alternator and battery, and the x5 went back to normal and stayed that way for years. Might be worth looking into. Seems if it's not the right voltage, everything goes berserk even if there's no problems.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:13 AM

rhomanski,
Jaguar CRC is still missing in action.
Have you sent them that Private Message as "CRC@Jaguar" suggested, and I have repeated twice?

Old 12-01-2017, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by phillyS1
Just a heads up, my 2013 x5 had all the same symptoms as your xj, radio was hit or miss, screens would flicker, it was throwing faults all the time, and always go into limp mode. I got used to stopping and restarting the car a few times and it would fix itself for a while. Anyway no one could figure out what was wrong. And finally a local indie shop diagnosed some sort of power regulator went bad dealing with the alternator and battery just as the other guy on here had with his XJ. Anyway, new alternator and battery, and the x5 went back to normal and stayed that way for years. Might be worth looking into. Seems if it's not the right voltage, everything goes berserk even if there's no problems.
That's a fairly straightforward fault, reasonably common, and easy to diagnose. If your dealer or local garage failed to quickly diagnose that, you *REALLY* need to find another dealer/garage.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBoy
Have you sent them that Private Message as "CRC@Jaguar" suggested, and I have repeated twice?
I'd like to know, too.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:05 PM

Exploring the website a little more, I found a forum for contacting Jaguar customer service. It's under "Brand Review" on the master list.
Doesn't seem to be used yet unless they delete posts when your done.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:50 PM

JagV8 and TheBoy, yes I sent a message as she listed along with a reply to and automated message from the Jaguar NA site. Sorry, thought I mentioned that in a prior posting. Still nothing but automatic reply's, it's more then four weeks now. I kind of have moved on from CRC ever even communicating with me. I don't want to incriminate by name anyone I've talked to in the area on the board, but it seems the more people I talk to around here, the more I'm being told CRC, once your out of warranty, really is a waste of time. I hear repeated stories of no action at all. Only Jim Coleman seems to think they may do anything.

I'll look at the Brand review forum this weekend. I'll see what that dredges in.

phillyS1, interesting. One difference is mine does not reset itself unless the battery dies or the dealer resets it. Just letting it sit does not solve the problem. If I restart it, it's still in limp mode.

I drove it to work this morning and dropped my son off at school on the way then went to lunch mid day. About 30 miles total. A normal day for me driving the XJ. The radio is dead, bluetooth is dead, rear view camera is dead and Nav system is dead....and I mean dead, totally dark. Everything else seems normal. I can get it to fault and I never get this far without a fault. It's so strange.

It's truly amazing how quiet and solid the car feels driving around with no radio noise. It's such a shame they can't solve the electrical issues, it's beautiful with a lot of style. Jaguar could kick butt with this car.

Old 12-01-2017, 03:58 PM

It sure sounds like the display was messing up all the rest. I'll bet if you just replace it the car will be fine. Didn't you say you had it replaced once already?

I looked at that brand review a little closer and it's mostly for the UK. They say they'll try to help worldwide but they can only contact the people here. Of course sometimes that does shame them into doing something. ATT in Atlanta kept blowing me off, finally the operator connected me to ATT in Florida. After they sent a message to the people in Georgia my phone was fixed the next day.

This place says they'll repair yours. They're in San Jose CA. Jaguar Factory Car Radio & Audio Repair in San Jose - Free Estimates! .Might be a little cheaper than buying a new one and they may have an upgrade to prevent it from breaking again since they see the faults more often and don't have to worry about Jaguar warranty. I knew a Marine that had a lot of bad parts sitting around his shop waiting for a particular diode. The Corps spent $5 a piece on them but were out of them at the time. The military has the manufacturer test each and every part for several days before accepting them. He got tired of waiting and went down to radio shack and picked up 100 of them for $5.00 and fixed all of them. Cleared his shop. Until someone figured out what he did. They busted him down a paygrade made him a dirt Marine and redid all those parts with approved diodes eventually. That's what a shop has to worry about with warranty work. No deviations allowed or they don't get paid.

Mine is the most quiet car I've ever owned, I HATE it! I need to find a Borla exhaust system for it.

Old 12-02-2017, 03:35 PM

rhomanski,

I don't have the ability to buy something like a radio and try and install it. You and your technical abilities are way out of my skill set.

I did drive the car again today to my sons soccer game. About 35 miles each way, highway driving. Car ran flawless. The same devises remain totally dead. Open and closed the sunshades on the sun roofs. Plugged in my cell phone for charging, all without incident. The car is showing no sign of "trpipping" with all the error messages and going into limp mode. What's you thoughts on how much more I should drive it to declare the car stable and take it in to Jaguar Annapolis and have them fix the radio, bluetooth, rear view camera and Nav system? Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:36 PM

RD, I'd say whenever your comfortable. If you can jump in it with faith you'll get there, then it's time. I'm really glad it's working good again. Before I bought mine, I was thinking about buying an anniversary edition Dodge Challenger with the 5.7L engine. Ideally black on black with all the options. The ones I could find though all seemed to have the second tier display unit. I found a shop that repairs and sells them and they were about $1000. I can't imagine what Jaguar wants for a new one. On the other hand, I'm sure it will be cheaper than a new Jag. My understanding is that the Nav program is on a built in computer hard drive in the display, the radio, bluetooth and rear view camera are all in the display as well. Sounds to me like the power distribution or "power supply" inside the display has gone bad. It will send 12v all over but will also take that down to 5v for the logic circuits. Sometimes they will develop a short and drag down the voltage of the "power line" they are on which apparently fed the other computers as well. That caused all the other problems you had. After the components finally burned out, now you have good voltage to everything. Of course the display is dead but at least everything else is fine. That would be the scenario I think you had. Wish you could change it yourself, it's not really hard but can be daunting if you've never done it before. You do help keep the mechanics eating good though so I guess it works out in the end. Lol. Best of luck to you.

It is a beautiful car. When I don't drive mine I still clap eyes on it as I walk past it to one of my other cars. If I didn't have to keep the batteries up on the others I would drive it exclusively. Well, getting 30 MPG in the city is a big draw for the others as well I suppose. I guess it's kinda like having a Rembrandt even if you don't drive it, it's beautiful to look at. When you do drive it, man alive!

Last edited by rhomanski; 12-02-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:53 PM

Same status. Radio, camera, bluetooth and Nav system totally dead. Car shows no signs of going into "safe mode" and no out of the ordinary messages on the dashboard.

Jaguar CRC, both US and Coventry remain MIA. Not even a "Not Interested in you" from them. Totally perplexing.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:57 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Same status. Radio, camera, bluetooth and Nav system totally dead. Car shows no signs of going into "safe mode" and no out of the ordinary messages on the dashboard.

Jaguar CRC, both US and Coventry remain MIA. Not even a "Not Interested in you" from them. Totally perplexing.
Maybe they are too busy dealing with owners angry that Jaguar will not recall all the pre 2015 (chassis number dependent) V8 and V6 production to replace the faulty water pumps.

The following users liked this post:
QP7 (10-17-2023)