XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Map update problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 06:48 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Map update problem

Has anyone updated their navigation map with the Navteq update? I bought the update which comes on a USB drive and while the instructions seem pretty simple (insert drive, enter your activation code, wait) when I insert the drive, nothing happens.

Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong - I tried both the regular USB port and the iPod port but no luck. Anyone tried this?

Old 01-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem: no response when inserting the nav update in either USB slot. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:24 PM

After talking to tech support for Navteq, they couldn't figure out the problem either so they are sending me another drive to try...

Old 02-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi all,

I have been installing the Navteq USB update. In the beginning it did not appear to work. I received first a message that the data was not newer than the installed data. Then it gave an error message, indicating that there was an error in the data. It asked me to check the disk and try again. On the screen there was a 0% data update and everything was blocked.

I sent an e-mail to Navteq, but I assumed they would not reply until Monday or Tuesday.

I gave it another try. I simply left the USB connected in the slot and waited. Afer some minutes I saw a "5% data upload", so I decided to wait. As I had to go somewhere in the car I simply left it work. Well, it took 2,5 hours to complete upload the map data (around 8/9 minutes for the indicator to increase each 5% of data upload). Finally it uploaded 100% and it reinitialized.

Then I did what the instructions said. Switched off the engine, lock the car and wait at least 15 minutes. Now it works!

I do not know if the maps are newer than the previous ones (according to the message I saw on the screen) but, at least, everything works again.

I hope it helps.

The following users liked this post:
retriever-007 (12-06-2014)
Old 02-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Wink

Ditto Rayo's experience. It did not read I. The USB port but did in the iPhone port.

About 10 minutes for the first 5%.

Have never understood why Navteq do inmates the world of automobiles but they are far too expensive and always extremely slow to update.

Wish car makers would wake up and smell the 21st century.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:31 PM

All loaded. Now have maps of Mexico and Canada.

But. Voice recognition will not set address or change search areas.

Anyone else having this issue?

Old 02-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Old 02-15-2013, 03:23 PM

Thanks but my screen has no onscreen colon.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

O.K. I'm debating getting this update. I use voice recognition all the time with Navigation. Rayo does yours work with the update? Dochands did you get yours to work?? Also, this is probably a stupid question since I don't have the instructions but do you have to leave your car on for 2.5 to 3 hours for this to upload??

Old 02-15-2013, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dochands
Thanks but my screen has no onscreen colon.
Mine doesn't either but if you press and hold the screen after the word "entry" (where a colon would be) the instructions do work.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:31 PM

The voice recognition started working. And it does take hours. Take a drive somewhere when you do it. It can be turned off and will restart.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jffcurt
O.K. I'm debating getting this update. I use voice recognition all the time with Navigation. Rayo does yours work with the update? Dochands did you get yours to work?? Also, this is probably a stupid question since I don't have the instructions but do you have to leave your car on for 2.5 to 3 hours for this to upload??

I never use the voice recognition for the navigation, basically because I only use it when I go on travel or when I have to go to a specific address that I do not know (and then I always set the destination before start.

For the rest of the functions (telephone, audio) it works fine.

With regard to the almost 3 hours, I asked Navteq about, but I did not receive any answer yet (although they have already sent the "customer survey")!

Old 02-19-2013, 06:17 PM

I'm just not having any luck getting the map update to install. I received a replacement USB drive and have left it in both USB ports for over an hour each time and have not seen the data uploading screen (or any other indication it's working).

I guess I'll have to make a trip to the dealer to get this applied. I doubt it's covered under warranty either so I wonder how much this is going to cost me...

Old 02-21-2013, 12:41 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Complete After Market Sales Bulletin:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...40/#post680424

Old 03-20-2013, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rayo

With regard to the almost 3 hours, I asked Navteq about, but I did not receive any answer yet (although they have already sent the "customer survey")!

OK, some feedback. After 1,5 months I am still waiting for Navteq´s support. Obviously I did send the "customer survey". You can imagine I was not happy with this lack of response (I should better say lack of respect for the clients). I assume they know that we are trapped by the fact that Jaguar chose them for the Navigation system of our car.

Maybe we should turn our complaints directly to Jaguar.

The following users liked this post:
retriever-007 (12-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2020, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any news?

Originally Posted by another_geek
I'm just not having any luck getting the map update to install. I received a replacement USB drive and have left it in both USB ports for over an hour each time and have not seen the data uploading screen (or any other indication it's working).

I guess I'll have to make a trip to the dealer to get this applied. I doubt it's covered under warranty either so I wonder how much this is going to cost me...
Did you get anywhere with the Dealer? did they manage to update the nav and if so was it something we could do without the pricey visit?

Last edited by gandkslater; 01-06-2020 at 05:20 PM. Reason: blanked out ******* for some reason
Old 01-07-2020, 03:46 AM
Received 179 Likes on 116 Posts

I think all experiences on the satnav update are pretty similar (mine is documented here), but it is a technology issue rather than a Navteq one. The USB slots in the early X351 are USB1, which has a low data rate, and the maps are large. At full speed the maps will take several (around 3-5, depending on your country and thus size of maps) hours to load.

The other bad news is the progress dialogues are almost impenetrable, and tend to lead one to the conclusion that the update is failing.

The good news, however, is that most folk that get the update to start (put the USB stick in the port and wait for several - maybe many - minutes with the engine running) get it to finish, as the engine can be turned off (and hence the update is paused) and the car will remember roughly where it got to on each subsequent trip until the upload is complete.

Patience in the face of no (or confusing/ erroneous) feedback seems to be the key.