XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Motor Trend 7 Car Luxury Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
Well I can blame Jaguar because for one BMW and Mercedes don't have this issue with their US Spec cars over here and for two its just stupid that it doesn't work regardless of the car company. Not having the maps available is one thing but not being able to install maps because of a hardware issue is just stupid. There should no hardware issue that stops the GPS from working over here period. I don't know how else to say this. Why would you build or have someone else build you different hardware restricted GPS systems for different regions? That's not even cost effective. It's a GPS. It's not a dvd player and even those are mostly software region restricted. And you would think once you get to a certain price range they might think you might be a person that may want to take your car somewhere else. And heated and vented rear seats is part of the luxury package on the base XJ.
Yes heated and vented rear seats are optional in the base but standard on the supercharged and supersport as opposed to BMW, Mercedes and Audi where absolutely everything is optional you would think that for the price of those cars they would already come very well equipped. And don't get me wrong on the GPS issue I understand your frustration I would be upset as well but maybe jaguar somehow was able to save money by using a different receiver for the GPS for U.S. Spec cars, as the cars sold in the U.S. are for some reason sold at a lower price than they are sold for in Europe. Which is pretty incredible considering they have a disadvantage with their currency being higher than that of the U.S. and the transportation costs.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

If the truth be known, Bentley and Aston Martin probably have some little problems too, but their dealers know how to handle these with the kid gloves that their customers demand. If all of the Jag dealers did this it would be a great improvement to the marque and help out with the poor quality perception issue. The point I'm really trying to make is that design and desireability should figure into the equation when ranking these luxury cars and that puts the Lexus low on the list for me. Knocking the Jag down to 5th because of an electrical glitch is out of line. Not that fixing all of the little feature problems or complaints is not important in the long run, it just shouldn't carry that much weight in the big picture of things now. Not when the Jag is by far the best looking, the fastest, and possibly the most comfortable of the bunch.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:33 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I have no doubt they Bentley and Aston have these problems. I mean after all its a car. I would really like to do some research and figure out what Lexus is doing that the others don't seem to be. It has got to be something with their quality control procedures or even their manufacturing processes. I think my thing with Jaguar is because they sell so few cars compared to Porsche, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, and Audi maybe they should think of classing themselves up instead of trying to become a mass produced car like the big five. And I don't even know if that is possible because those two have the financial resources of VW which is the parent company of Audi and Porsche. I just don't know. I have been researching that new Audi A8 and man these guys are taking this flagship thing to a whole other level. Jag has it's work cut out for them that's for sure. I still don't think I can give them higher than I did. I personally don't care about 0-60 times or quarter mile. If speed is that important to me I will by a motorcycle. What is important is the driving experience. And this is where cabin isolation, stereo sound quality, seat comfort, handling, etc. all come into play. That's why we buy these car at this price. If all we wanted was to go fast wouldn't a coupe do a better job?

Old 02-06-2011, 05:39 AM

I have Bower and Wilkens speakers at my house. That and the panoramic sunroof were two major deciding factors that pushed me to get this car. The lack of the panoramic sunroof is what made me pass on the XF.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I had the chance to look at and sit in most of these models at the DC Auto Show yesterday. In terms of the interiors, there really comes a point where there is enough build quality and opulence/features that it just becomes a matter of personal taste. I was shocked at the level of equipment (especially for rear passengers) that the Equus comes with for a bargain price of just $65k!!! Even makes the LS460 look overpriced. Truly worthy of being a chauffeured sedan, if you can go without the cachet of being in a luxury sedan.

However, it is exceedingly bland, and my experience has nothing to do with how it drives/rides when it is moving or even with the engine on!

As for the rest of the pack, I found all of the interiors to be just fine. I sat in the XJ (new and '06-'07 XJ8-L they had on display), LS460, 7 Series, etc. I really don't understand what is so great about the Benz, though. Although I do like that it has more traditional proportioning than some of the new sedans (XJ, to name one).

I looked at the new A8 from the outside. What is so great about it? It seems even more bland than the Lexus and the Equus outside. That, and I don't think Audi even has the brand recognition of Lexus, not to mention BMW, Jaguar and Mercedes.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:28 PM

Per the Audi A8

"Even above the navigation system, the new touch-screen-based multimedia interface is a millennium ahead of the old system. Want a specific album? Simply flip through a cover flow display just like some MP3 players. Want to adjust your seat? A helpful graphic shows you how the controls manipulate seat position, while controls stay logically on the seat side. Everything from the climate controls to vehicle system information can be altered via the display. "

Maybe we can get this in a software update.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
I would really like to do some research and figure out what Lexus is doing that the others don't seem to be. It has got to be something with their quality control procedures or even their manufacturing processes.
I believe it also has to do with culture. The Japanese still consider honor a component of their work. That is reflected on the quality of the smallest nut and bolt to the bigger components like an engine block. Of course they need to profit too, but they understand that profit will come if the quality is there. And by quality they don't mean just the items, but the service as well.

While Germans have the reputation of over-engineering everything, I believe the Japanese took this concept to another level just by absolutely not skimping on specifications. I bet they bought several S class Mercedes cars and took them apart to brainstorm how to improve it. The result is the LS460 that while not as sporty, has a lot more of no-nonsense approach and is built like a tank. Everything works, always.

Last edited by Maybe_XJ; 02-06-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:13 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

You are right on. The Japanese did as a matter of fact takes some Mercedes (and probably others) and took them apart, studied every piece, put it together and looked for ways to make some things better in the process. At first (15-20 years ago) I laughed at them. Now I am pressed to admit, that they are building a better "Mercedes" and calling it Lexus.

There is one thing they forgot and its a clutural thing which is very hard to reverse engineer; give the car a personality. I have a Lexus myself and they are so perfect that they lack excitment. But lots of people don't want any added excitment, they just want to get from A to B in luxury and comort and without break downs. The Japanese excelled on that.

You also got SOME of the "honor" thing right. The problem with the Germans isn't with the engineering. They are still, well , perfectionist. (I am a German with an engineering background). They really keep tinkering wihtout end. Hence the "over" engineering. But then of course come the accountants. So choices have to be made and compromises worked out.

But what is more important is production. The German factory crews aren't particular as they once had been known for. That German workethic and pride found decades ago is not on the same level anymore. The Japanese are still outdoing eveybody in the world on that. They usually work in one factory or for one company for life. Still, after school they join a large corporation and will never leave. And if they do leave they won't find another equal jop opportunity in a large cororation because they are viewed as disloyal.

Building and designing cars is still very much a cultural thing. Look at the design of the french cars. Especially older ones. Or the lack of mechanical quality and lack of detail to engineering in Italian cars. The showmanship of US cars. Cars are already too much alike.

Now where would I put the British Jaguar on all those cultural comparisons? Frankly, I have no idea. Fairly well engineered (not top, but up there), beautyful designs, especially the new Jaguar interiour (Ok beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so at least polarizing). And I never knew Brits to be known for engineering, artful design and very good quality when it comes to industrial products.

Yet, I consider the Jaguar to be close to German engineering, close (or better?) then many Italian designs and built with better quality in mind then many others.

So their history is quiet mixed if you keep in mind that major quality problems to be found in the history of all major British car manufacturers repeatadly, they had quiet a number of boringly designed cars, if not to say ugly (some Rovers, the last XJ wasn't really that pretty either, some Vauxhall cars and so on).

And yet we got that wonderful XJ. Maybe_XJ I still love mine. Not perfect, nor is any car, but not less perfect then its competitors. And still, so far, no quality problems after all the initial stuff was fixed. Hope it stays. We'll know in 2-3 years what the quality really will be known as.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree completely and I believe Jaguar is for sure in the right direction. The bugs will be worked out in a couple of years. BTW the British make hands down the best music and post production consoles in the world (SSL and Neve) - and in my opinion the best rock/heavy metal bands ever. The British produce some really good sound systems too, professional stuff.

I also agree with what you said, the Japanese loyalty thing of factory workers is important. But here in USA where people are just worried about servicing their debts and literally working indirectly for banks like slaves, the honor factor is gone. People will work where they can get enough salary to keep the bankers rich (interest) and still put some food on the table for their kids. England is in the same situation. When people become economic slaves it's difficult to care much about the honor of a brand and/or company they work for. The "bottom line" kills the importance and pride of being part of something that could be indeed so much better.