XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

MP3/USB issues XJ2012

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MP3/USB issues XJ2012

So I have an XJL 2012, and i am constantly having issues with mp3 files i burn to a flash drive.

Its a hit or mix with some albums I download, either they work or I get the no file/folder msg and then the whole system freezes. My question is has anyone experienced the same issue and found a solution or does anyone know which mp3s I should be avoiding?

I have tried changing usbs many times. Also have checked the same usb/mp3 files on another non jaguar car and it works fine.

Please help.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:36 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

twister, I just ran into this yesterday. I have 2 USB sticks in my car and one day they were working in the car (so I know the sticks were good) and the next day they don't. Part of me is wondering if the temperature that gets inside the car may do something to the sticks. But, it is sounding like you are ruling that one out with your tests and I am going to be testing my sticks here shortly just to eliminate my potential problems.

I will let you know what I find.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:50 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have this issue too, so if anyone can figure it out I'd be delighted!

Old 07-06-2015, 08:54 AM
Veteran member

Ok, I have been playing a little bit. I know the folder that is giving me issues (atleast one of them). I can put in a USB stick and it will start playing. I can then change to a different folder that I know works. No issues. When I go to the folder that I am having issues with, it will give me the "File corrupt......" message. Once I get that message, I cannot access any file and play it (even the ones that I just accessed and know work) until I remove the USB from the car.

With this being said, I am playing some the artist has added a special character to their name/album title and I am wondering if this might be part of the issue. I have checked on my computer and all the files are not protected. So, it isn't an issue of playing protected music (which if the music is protected, it can cause what you are seeing). I am getting ready to try things again after removing the folder from the USB and reloading it just to make sure that it wasn't a copy issue. If I am still having issues, then I am going to try removing the special character and reload it onto the USB stick once again. So, keep looking back.

Just for reference, I have my music stored on the USB such that the artists name is the main folder and then the album name is the sub-folder. I then have all the music under the subfolder related to that album. I have done this to my whole music collection. I am also using a 16GB stick. I am finding that while the radio will accept the larger sticks, there is a long load time with a stick that size and I would rather have the music come on a little quicker than what it does with the 32GB stick. I am figuring I am going to end up with four 16GB sticks just so I can have all my music with me. But then, having over 1,000 albums, you kinda need that much space. Granted, I wonder what it would take to enlarge the hard drive on the radio to allow for more data storage inside the radio to prevent the need for anything external. Installing the hard drive I don't think will be the problem. The issue I see is transferring the jaguar programming over. But then, if I am going that far, part of me would be wondering just what it would take to re-program the whole radio to something a bit more friendly.

Last edited by Thermo; 07-06-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Veteran member

Well, more playing and not a lot of luck. I was initially thinking that it might have something to do with special characters, but through trial and error it seems that even if the artists name or album has a special character in it (atleast the !), this does not seem to affect things. This lead me back to a problem with the files themselves. I deleted the album and placed it back on the USB stick, but this resulted in the same condition. The only difference I can spot between a working album and a non-working album is the non-working album has a name in the "copyright" block of the album properties/attributes. But in all cases, the "protected" block of the attributes is marked as "NO". So, it should play. Just to add some confusion to everything, the name in the copyright block has a special character (?) in it. So, that may be adding to some of the confusion. Guess I need to play some more with the albums I have on the stick and see what other ones have issues and see what the commonalities are between the various albums. Unfortunately, a simple "just remove the name from the copyright block" is not possible (already tried it). I do know of a way around it, so, may need to see if that will fix things.

So, for the moment, this one album is coming off the stick and I will see what others may give me grief.

Hopefully this will give people some idea of what isn't causing their issues.

The following users liked this post:
Angus (07-07-2015)
Old 07-06-2015, 01:48 PM

Yea this is exactly what is happening to me one folder plays the other does not, i have tried copying it again and again, formatting the sticks, changing them, re downloading them and so on, i know its the problem with the mp3s i just want to figure out what so i can avoid downloading these sort of mp3s.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:14 PM
Veteran member

twister, the trick you can try doing is if you know the folder, burn the songs on to a CD in normal CD format. From there, return the files back to MP3 format by converting them. This should erase any potential copyright information from the songs.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:57 PM

yea except that will take a long time when i am talking about albums 600 megs big, plus are we sure its the copyright problem??

Old 07-07-2015, 07:39 AM

@Thermo

That's interesting about the copyright; I've just had a look at a couple of albums that cause problems and they have entries in there. Another that never gives problems the copyright is empty.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:37 AM
Veteran member

twister, not saying that it is a quick process. But it is a possible solution.

Angus, I may have to see what happens when I try getting rid of the copyright line and then putting it back on the USB.

The following users liked this post:
Angus (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 07:16 AM

Thermo, regardless of the results, thanks for taking the time to look into this.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:27 AM
Veteran member

Angus, I am one of those "pitbull" people. Once I get on a problem, I like to take it to the end. that is how I learn and figure things out with the car.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:18 AM

Both a blessing and a curse at times, but great satisfaction when a problem is cracked.
One of the things with an outlook like that is that you end up tackling these things purely out of curiosity (or bloody-mindedness).
Anyway, good luck and thanks again.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:29 PM
Veteran member

Angus, would you (or anyone else) know the language that the radio is programmed in? Thinking this might make for an interesting "winter project". I am curious how much "change" I can make to a system like that and still have it function. Possibly even correcting some of the things that I think are wrong/missing.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:32 AM

I haven't got a clue about the programming language, but IMHO there must be a lot of clunky code lurking around if the performance is anything to go by.
Just seen a job advert and an article which seem to point towards Linux.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...-the-dashboard

Last edited by Angus; 07-13-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

I am quite certain that JLR uses Blackberry's QNX code as do more than 50% of the auto manufacturers.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:45 PM
Veteran member

For those having MP3 music issues, looking for some information as I think I might be on to something. Find an song/album that you are having issues with (the more the better). Using a MP3 tag editor, look to see what type of tag that the song(s) have. It should say something to the effect of "ID3v1", "ID2v2.3", or "ID3v2.3(ID3v1)". If you find that you have only "ID3v2.3" listed, what is the bitrate of your music?

Old 08-06-2015, 07:23 AM

I resampled my music at a nominal bit rate of 290 a week ago and it hasn't played up since.
(I guess that means I won't have any music when I get in the car after work)

Old 08-12-2015, 07:52 AM

Rats. Spoke too soon.
What a capricious little minx this system is

Old 12-31-2015, 08:46 AM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok, I have just spent two days looking into this issue and I have to say it is indeed quite a challange to resolve! I think I have finally cracked it though, here are my findings....

In my new music folder, I had 30 tracks. 3 played ok, the rest all failed with the error.

First test (Mp3 tags)

I downloaded a utility that quickly wiped ALL tag info from the Mp3 tracks... so I deleted the info from all 30 tracks. Afterwards, the 3 tracks still played ok (with no tag info) and the other 27 still failed. Extensive proof that the issue is NOTHING to do with Tag info associated to the MP3

2nd Test (MP3 bitrate)

I won't bore you with the many tests I did but converting the MP3s to different bitrates make any difference.

Final test & solution (MP3 constant bitrate)

Finally I stumbled upon the fact that the failing MP3's seem to be "varible bitrates". Therefore I then converted all my MP3's to "constant bit rates" and this seemed to have worked for them all.

To do it yourself...

1) Download "LameXP" and install (MP3 freeware from the trusted sourceforge site)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lamexp/

2) Once installed click on the "Compression" tab and ensure the following is ticked...

A) MP3
B) Constant Bitrate (CBR)
C) change the quality/bitrate to "192 Kbps" (others rates may work but this defo works)

3) Click the "output" tab and set your output directory

4) Click the "source files" tab and "add files" (of your none working MP3's)

5) finally click "encode now"

you should now have recoded MP3's in your output directory that work with your beloved Shaguar!

The following 2 users liked this post by flibberflops:
Angus (01-04-2016), XJsss (12-31-2015)

Quick Reply: MP3/USB issues XJ2012