XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Navigation is Useless - Don't choose shortest route!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gostratusgray
I bought an XJL VIN in the 17000 range with all of the updates AFAIK that will let me input all of the address by voice command, then erase all my input-ed data when I go to enter the completed address into the NAV as a destination because I had not yet accepted the caution. It's happened twice now (yes, yes, fool me once...your fault) where I had to re-enter all of my data, and it's really really irritating. My android phone is far more user friendly for voice data input for Navs. One of the few things I don't love about my new Jag so far.
That's interesting. I think I have all of the updates and I get the warning as soon as I say "go to". I kind of like it that way.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your point of view, we didn't have an option of opting out of a built-in Nav system with the new Jag. Imagine if you paid $2,000 for it as an option and found out later that it was next to useless. But in all seriousness, most manufacturer's nav systems are seriously deficient. Among the ones I have owned, I'd rate them in the order of Acura, Toyota, with Mercedes being the worst of the bunch. I'm sorry to read that the Jag system is even worse than the Mercedes Nav.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It is unfortunate that a $50 Garmin is fully updateable and customizable even has international maps if so choose.

Never saw a car head unit that is worth a damn and they are all wicked expensive do update if they ever update.

I am driving into Mexico next week and guess what is getting stuck to my dash to navigate.

It would be great if Jag steps up and makes it better but this seems to be one area where the playing field is tediously level.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Not great but there are worse

Hi,
OK, most of the time my NAV gets me where I want. However, shortest will get you thought the boonies big time. And the manual is worthless. Trial and error not an option when you want to get somewhere. But there are worse. My 07 CLS gets me there but the whole command system is so basic it is ridiculous.
The one in my previous X5 was the worse and never got me anywhere. Best Navi is the aftermarket Clarion Headunit in my COnversion Van. Easiest to use, always works PERFECT and it was about $ 1,000 on sale. And those multi thousand $$$ car units??? why can't they do what a $ 50.00 can do? I wonder.
I just got a JD Power survey for the XJ and it was all about the Navigation, if we'd like a control know (i.e. iDrive, Mercedes ect.) and so on. I certainly shared my feelings about the crappy touch screen (need a hammer as it is a cheap resistance screen (one with the plastic overlay) rather than a capacitive one, the slowness ans so on.
But it is pretty though.....
Still love the car despite it.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone else have a Nav "ghosting" issue visible on their night screen. It appears when I'm on a freeway and the screen splits to show the exits. The dark horizontal bars "ghost" across the screen and cause dark and light shading on the left map portion. My dealer couldn't see it at first but now I showed them. Also have this annoying volume swelling up and down not dependent upon the speed of the car. Otherwise, I love my new XJ. Have had 7 Jags in the past mostly from the Ford era. Jag customer service seemed much more responsive then. The dealer tells me they don't allow them to replace any components without lengthy testing. They ant to keep my car for a week to diagnose the screen problem.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't have the problem on mine and I never heard about this issue around the forums or at my dealer. Not with the volume swelling either. I do now the volume is speed dependant and it can be adjusted. (Forgot where, check the manual).
The ghosting thing sounds like a wiring issue or a bad monitor unit. I'd ask them to replace the head unit. If the dealer was able to confirm that shouldn't be a problem. Either way that is NOT normal and definately a defect.

The following users liked this post:
sinisterblue (12-28-2011)
Old 12-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer looking into it

Thanks for the reply Gear. The service manager at Galpin and I took my car for a road test and compared it to another 2011 and a 2012. Looks like mine definitely was the only one with the ghosting issue. They now need to go through the district service rep and get them involved. I hope it's as simple as the screen itself being defective......if not it could be a pain to trace. Every different screen we looked at seemed to have slightly different shading, contrast, etc. so there doesn't seem to be any uniformity. The volume is another issue that I've found a few workarounds for. I'm sure they'll fix that with software since you can't get to the auto volume level adjustment through a menu. Plus, my issues aren't speed related. The volume seems to go up and down any time. Plus it surges when I switch audio modes or turn the audio off. Bottom line.....the dealer has been diligent and updated all my software. I have no phone (iPhone 4S) issues at all and have not had any crashes or glitches for a long time. Love the car.