XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Negative and positive reactions from people to owning a Jaguar XJ

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Negative and positive reactions from people to owning a Jaguar XJ

After owning the Jaguar XJ supercharged model for a month, I experienced two obvious attempts of people trying to damage my car consciously. Today, a stranger made scratches and a dent using his keys while I was away shopping for 30 minutes in a Polish neighborhood. Two weeks ago, I had a gentleman congratulating me for my choice and asking me if I could take a picture of him with his IPhone next to my car, he considers as his dream car. This car has created extreme positive and negative reactions from people. Please share your own experience dealing with positive and negative behavior with people.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

All you can do is to try and soak up & enjo0y the positive comments and ignore the haters.....one you know it stems from jealousy you'll feel a little better buddy.

So sorry to hear of your car damage issues....the green eyed monster struck I guess.

Attached Thumbnails Negative and positive reactions from people to owning a Jaguar XJ-car01.jpg  
Old 12-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

I own a previous generation XJ -- I've received compliments about the body lines and color. Was at a fuel station and a very nice gentleman complimented the color combo.

Also get a lot of stares from cars next to me when at stoplights. Never sure if the stares are complimentary or negative.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Positive remarks

I've had my 2012 Midnight Black XJL foe exactly 1 year and I still have friends make comments . Just last night at a Christmas party people kept asking is that your Jaguar? Can we sit in it? Take us for a ride? I've had s class mercedes before this and people react as if this is some rare car that costs a fortune. When in fact it cost 10-20 thousands less than a similarly equipped s class.

Today at a grocery store I parked next to a 2012 black xjl and me and the other owner were remarking to each other how many positive remarks about how beautiful our cars are. It,s nice but a little weird.

The following users liked this post:
Jaguar1972 (12-23-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Venture
people react as if this is some rare car that costs a fortune. When in fact it cost 10-20 thousands less than a similarly equipped s class.
You do know that it's written in the secret code of owner's ethics that we DON'T tell these people the truth. Shhh- mum's the word.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The first rule of the jaguar club : do not tel how much you love the jaguar

Old 12-24-2012, 05:04 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just restored my 84 Xj6 and looks Sweet, always get interest and compliments, but i always think twice about where i park and where i go.... and like many on this post , always get the stares , but i have to say get alot of interest from the younger generation which i think is a positive

The following users liked this post:
jetlag700 (10-18-2019)
Old 12-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguar1972
Today, a stranger made scratches and a dent using his keys while I was away shopping for 30 minutes in a Polish neighborhood.
It is my understanding that older and used XJs end up in the hands of Russians. Russians with Jags are mob/gang members and the Polish know this, maybe that is why --even though new-- you car got keyed. It is ridiculous, but that goes to show you how stupid some humans still can be, and how perceptions can be so different among different cultures.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

i usually get a lot of positive feedback with my XJ. With my previous Jags...i used to have my hood ornaments stolen...i dont think it was a jealousy type attack, more like people being stupid. And then because of my young age, id get the usual "oh why are you driving your grandfathers jag?"........i used to get it a lot more years ago (when i was 19 with an XJ)

Old 12-24-2012, 07:38 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Yer yer blame Russians for everything

The following 2 users liked this post by miamijag:
dmchao (10-20-2019), Gippsland (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 11:09 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by miamijag
Yer yer blame Russians for everything
LOL No! The Russians are cool, I have a bunch of Russian friends, it's the Polish dude at that Polish neighborhood that keyed his car... he was probably thinking the Jag was owned by a Russian....

Old 12-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

The Polish people have a general distain for the Russian people because of a violent campaign to take control over Poland. The Katyn Forest Massacre would be a major reason followed by the Warsaw Uprising (powstanie warszawskie) where the Red Army under Stalin's command stood by and watched as Polish resistance forces were crushed by German forces. It is estimated that about 16,000 members of the Polish resistance were killed and about 6,000 badly wounded. In addition, between 150,000 and 200,000 Polish civilians died, mostly from mass murders. Jews that were being sheltered in Polish homes were exposed by German house-to-house clearances and mass evictions of entire neighbourhoods.

"Initially, the Poles established control over most of central Warsaw, but the Soviets ignored Polish attempts to establish radio contact and did not advance beyond the city limits. Intense street fighting between the Germans and Poles continued. By 14 September, Polish forces under Soviet high command occupied the east bank of the Wisła River opposite the insurgents' positions; but only 1,200 men made it across to the west bank, and they were not reinforced by the bulk of the Red Army. This, and the lack of Soviet air support from a base 5 minutes flying time away, led to allegations that Joseph Stalin tactically halted his forces to let the operation fail and allow the Polish insurrectionists to be crushed."

Old 02-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow this is deep!! I get alot of compliments on my 2012 XJ-L SS. It's been positive so far.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:58 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default jaguar jealousy and envy

Originally Posted by Jaguar1972
After owning the Jaguar XJ supercharged model for a month, I experienced two obvious attempts of people trying to damage my car consciously. Today, a stranger made scratches and a dent using his keys while I was away shopping for 30 minutes in a Polish neighborhood. Two weeks ago, I had a gentleman congratulating me for my choice and asking me if I could take a picture of him with his IPhone next to my car, he considers as his dream car. This car has created extreme positive and negative reactions from people. Please share your own experience dealing with positive and negative behavior with people.
I own a black repainted oil based glossy black 1988 Jaguar XJS, and the guy I bought it from warned me about the exact thing you said! He had it keyed and had people dent the car with their car doors! Since I have owned it I have had the aerial broken off of it, somebody tried to steal the bumper and headlights, and just recently a new tenant moved into the condos where I live and complained to the landlord and accused me if starting the car and running it for 20 minutes at 11:30 pm. Others have more restraint and pretend they didn't see the car. I once owned a 1978 Chrysler Lebaron before the body style change, it was a beautiful old car, now a collector car and I never received this kind if envy! My '88 Jaguar has 2 magnaflow straight through mufflers, along with an upgraded 2.5 inch pipes exiting in front of the rear tires, and nothing else, and is noisy when it is cold. But it was only 9 PM and I took the car onto the street to warn it up! He had to have some kind of cover to hide his envy and jealousy in order to make the complaint, so he chose to say it wa because of the noise. Although I have had the car for 10 years and this is the first time anyone has complained about the car! **** on him, I am not going to run my car without adequately warming up the engine to please him! He didn't even have the ***** to call the landlord, instead he left a note complaining in the landlords mailbox along with his phone number! He wasn't even moved in a week before he made his first complaint. The same night a couple of railway workers were at 7/11, and the one guy just loved the car, and asked to take pictures of it. I showed him the engine and started it up and revved it up for 15 seconds and he just loved it. This is two different reactions in the same evening about 90 minutes apart. Some people just cannot be happy that someone else has a Jaguar. But thse same people will buy other ordinary cars instead of buying a Jaguar to start with! I am really fed up with jealous idiots and too afraid to leave my car for any longer than 15 minutes at a time anywhere. I didn't catch on until I would come out from shopping and find footprints in the snow where people had been walking around my car which was parked alone at the far end of the parking lot to prevent deliberate door dents. I quit driving it in the winter after it was painted.
Jaguar XJS owners should REGISTER their cars with XJS Data, a site that keeps track of all XJS's on the road, salvage yards and sometimes the race track. It is also a good idea to buy parts from reputable dealers like Welsh Enterprises who would never have anything to do with stolen cars or parts. If somebody ordered parts for your car and Welsh Enterprises knew the car was stolen they would report iy to the police I am sure. It would be a good idea to order something small so they have your vehicle ident number on record. This way if somebody steals the car it needs parts they can't buy parts without having to give the Vehicle Identification number and the address. In the event that the car is ever stolen you may get it back, but that is unlikely as these cars are pre-ordered and paid for before the wheels ever leave the ground and bound for Eastern Europe!. I have numerous disabling features on my car and it is locked in a garage with the battery disconnected, too wheel locks, the gas anti roll button engaged so the car gets no gas, and the garage door is unplugged, and the is no light in the garage! And I have an alarm on the man door that rings in my bedroom right by my head if somebody picks the lock and gets in. When I used to park it and go shopping for 30 minutes I remove the plug wire from the coil to the distributor! As you can tell, I hate thieves and determined to never have my car stolen after investing $40,000 in upgrades and maintenance.!!! Next summer I am buying a wheel/tire lock so the car cant be towed away! One other thing, keep your keys in your bedroom at night as thieves have often been known to break into house for car keys which too many people leave on a HOOK BY THE FRONT DOOR!
Sorry this reply is so long, but I was hoping to make sure nobody who owns a Jaguar ever gets it stolen.