XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

New Here - Software Glitches Plaguing New Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Default New Here - Software Glitches Plaguing New Car

Hello everyone - newbie here.

I realize there are already other threads regarding this issue, but I wanted to give my take on things to help aide anyone else that might be having the same issue.

We bought our car last week, XJ L, non S/C or SS. We drove it home, realized the passenger massage unit wasn't functioning (it would cut off after a minute), so we took it back the next day, left it there until yesterday afternoon (they fixed it) and then proceeded to drive home. At this point, I realize the A/V system (phone, CD, Ipod, Radio, NAV) were all not working. I troubleshot it myself, trying two different Ipods and two different brand CD-R's in the car. None of the radio stations would change (I was stuck on one) and the audio there only worked for 10 seconds and only every minute or so.

At this point, I got home, started researching and found this forum (which made me feel better, but in the same time, made me feel worse knowing it plagues so many vehicles).

Anyways. I dropped it BACK off this morning (keep in mind I've owned the car one week and haven't gotten to drive it during the day yet). I told them what was wrong, they said, "we're aware and it's a software update". I was told they already did it, but apparently, they only did the voice command features (which did work perfectly until last night). SO. They have the car again, hopefully this time, fixing everything once and for all.

The only other issues I've had besides the massager is the left rear door rattles (which they supposedly fixed last time - I just have yet to pay attention to it). We'll see after this fix if it works. It is a little disconcerting to have such an expensive car that has issues already... hopefully this is the only time it happens.

What's ironic is that the rental they gave me, 2011 XF, it has issues rolling the passenger window up... so this isn't a good start.

I'm new to Jaguar (and a lot younger than their typical demographic @ 30 yrs old)... so hopefully this goes away and I can get back to enjoying my car.

The dealership has been very good from start to finish though and is half the reason we bought from them as oppossed to a competitor.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

In case it makes you feel better....my car wasn't perfect at first either. But after ONE service visit, software upgrade and what have you by some very dedicated and excellent service techs, the car is BETTER then new and all works perfect.
I was a bit doubtful after reading all these posts, too. But now I think this car was a good buy after all.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm afraid this is a typical 1st year radically changed vehicle that has a few (maybe more than typical) gremlins to work out--it took 6 months and several trips to the dealer to get mine done, but now everything works and the car is sensational to drive and look at (which is why I had to have it now and not wait a year for the bugs to get worked out). If the voice command was working when you got the car, then the software update had been done already unless the dealer messed it up and caused your other problems (the earlier cars like mine did not have this feature until the update).

Just hang in there--if your dealer does their job properly, you will end up with what you expected when you bought the car. This is really a fabulous vehicle.