XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

New Member (2011 XJ vs. 2012 XJ)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Member (2011 XJ vs. 2012 XJ)

All
Although new to this forum, I have followed it for a couple of months now. Thus, even with all the criticism of the XJ, I test drove one and have decided to make a purchase. I have seen several 2011s on the lot but was unable to find the exact interior package that appealed to me. Therefore, I think i will have to order the 2012 model and wait three months. The good thing is that i will get what i want (the new illumination package with london tan, short wheelbase, base engine); the bad, i have to wait. More importantly to me is that i would like to get a nice deal on the 2012 model. One dealer offered me 6 grand off of the 2011. Any ideas on placing the order to get similar deal? I am told that it will take three months for the vehicle to arrive. Some dealers are acting like jerks as well.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hogtym,

I'm in the same position as you are. I recently decided on getting an XJL and have been a lurker in the forum for a few months. I'd be completely open to getting a 2011, and there appear to be some good deals. However, like you, I have specific color and option choices, so I am willing to wait for the exact car even if it means I will miss out on some of the deals on the 2011. If you are ordering, I am not sure how much of a good deal you can get, but I'd be interested in what others have to say.

By the way, I tested extensively (BMW 7 Series, Mercedes CLS, Audi A7/8), and I could not find any other car that I liked more than the Jaguar XJL. The car's look is absolutely unique and stunning. I tend to be very brand loyal; however, SAAB (the brand I have loved since I was in college) is withering away. So, I think I am becoming a Jaguar loyalist now.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

You will be very happy with your XJL if you get one. I traded in a CLS 63 for mine and haven't regretted it at all. I passed a 2012 CLS going the opposite direction yesterday and thought it was a C class until I got past and saw those swoopy doopy Toyota type tail lights. They killed the front end on the new model. That was the one car they had that looked different and it doesn't anymore.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by gryphon95
hogtym,

I'm in the same position as you are. I recently decided on getting an XJL and have been a lurker in the forum for a few months. I'd be completely open to getting a 2011, and there appear to be some good deals. However, like you, I have specific color and option choices, so I am willing to wait for the exact car even if it means I will miss out on some of the deals on the 2011. If you are ordering, I am not sure how much of a good deal you can get, but I'd be interested in what others have to say.

By the way, I tested extensively (BMW 7 Series, Mercedes CLS, Audi A7/8), and I could not find any other car that I liked more than the Jaguar XJL. The car's look is absolutely unique and stunning. I tend to be very brand loyal; however, SAAB (the brand I have loved since I was in college) is withering away. So, I think I am becoming a Jaguar loyalist now.
Gryphon95
i was a Audi brand loyalist myself. i actually considered getting the Audi A7, but the Jaguar speaks to me. Even thought it does not have all wheel drive nor the Wifi navigation ability that the Audi has.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:11 PM

hogtym - That's a perfect description of me and the XJL - it speaks to me, too. You're right - it does not have every feature, but a car has to connect with me on a personal / emotional level. This new XJL definitely does. I just noticed you are in Virginia. Any chance you are in the Northern part? If so, have any thoughts to share on dealerships? PM me if you don't want to post publicly.

jffcurt - You're right about every new Mercedes looking alike. The C-Class, the E-Class, the CLS - I mean who can tell them apart? We have a 2009 SLK and will likely replace it with the new version this year. In my opinion, it's the only distinctive Mercedes these days. Even though, with this latest version, it looks more like the other Mercedes..

Old 08-02-2011, 08:21 PM

Yes, i am in northern VA. I dealt with Rosenthal Jaguar in Tysons Corner. They are ok and seem to give a good deal up front, especially with trade in (they offered exactly what i figured i could get - i was impressed by that). They are real aggressive. I also went to the Chantilly Dealership. they offered a better deal, however, they never got back to me. i had to call them to find out status of finding a vehicle. In the end, I may go with Jaguar in Tysons as they do work hard to find what you're looking for.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

jffcurt - You're right about every new Mercedes looking alike. The C-Class, the E-Class, the CLS - I mean who can tell them apart?
Don't get me wrong, because I love these new XJ's and have my 2012 order locked down for November 1 delivery, but I have the same issue with the front end of the XJ's and XF's. I really wish there was a little less family resemblance.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

If you can find what you want in a 2011 you will be better off as the 2012 will not be the 5 year 50000 all inclusive warranty. Think about owning a car for 5 years & only having to pay for tires. It is such a good deal they stopped it. I am glad I have a 2011 XJL

Old 08-02-2011, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jaxkr
If you can find what you want in a 2011 you will be better off as the 2012 will not be the 5 year 50000 all inclusive warranty. Think about owning a car for 5 years & only having to pay for tires. It is such a good deal they stopped it. I am glad I have a 2011 XJL
i have tried to locate a 2011, however, i really want the london tan/jet interior with wood steering wheel and short wheel base. that has been difficult to find. i cant see dropping 80 large on a vehicle and not get exactly what i want. i am aware, however, that one is more likely to get better deal by purchasing a vehicle already on the lot.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jaxkr
If you can find what you want in a 2011 you will be better off as the 2012 will not be the 5 year 50000 all inclusive warranty.
I must have missed it - what is the all inclusive 5yr / 50,000 warranty be replaced with?

Originally Posted by hogtym
i cant see dropping 80 large on a vehicle and not get exactly what i want.
Same here. Buddies tell me that you can't get a good deal if you are fixed on what exact features you want. That is probably true, but I would regret settling and would never be happy with my choice otherwise. Been ere, done that before. So, I'll hold out for what I want. By the way, I'm dealing with the guys at Rosenthal Tyson's, too. They seem like good guys. Responsive and good follow up.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:57 PM

My dealer told me the warranty will drop back to a standard 5/50 (wear and tear items and oil changes no longer covered). I don't know that to be true, but that's what they told me.

That's not a huge deal, but, over 50K miles, it's probably worth about 3000-4000 bucks or so (assuming Jag oil changes cost what they did on CLS550, 500 bucks a shot, plus likely a set of brakes, which were about 2K on the Benz).

I must have missed it - what is the all inclusive 5yr / 50,000 warranty be replaced with?

The following users liked this post:
gryphon95 (08-03-2011)
Old 08-02-2011, 11:01 PM

Sorry, one other thing.. They told me that the there are going to be "less standard features" on the 2012, and that more options. I'm assuming that means the price (comparably equipped) will be a higher as well.

This is all "dealer rumor". I have no idea what is and is not true; they wanted to sell me a 2011, so I assume they would have told me that the 2011 will cure cancer to get me to buy it.

However, the maintenance not being included on the 2012 would be a pretty big deal for me. The maint costs on the Benz were killer; the lack of them on the Jag was certainly a "moderately important" selling point to me.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys, I'm in NoVa as well, and I've dealt with all of these dealers. Call Mike Bobinski at Brown's Jag in Richmond. Tell him Paul with the supersport sent you. He did far better than any dealers around here, and was great. He even drove up to Alexandria to pick me up, and they will come up here and deliver a loaner for servicing. Tysons were complete tools, and expensive. Dulles was cheaper than Tysons, but couldn't touch the price of Browns. Take it from a guy who went through all the haggling already...you're wasting time up here with guys who think people in NoVa have money to burn...probably right, but not me. If you need more info or have questions, feel free to pm me.

The following users liked this post:
gryphon95 (08-03-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 03:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I appreciate your reply kid delicious , very friendly and helpful

Old 08-03-2011, 03:52 PM

I may be wrong about this but....... The dealers and sales people may get a bigger cut by getting rid of the 2011's before the 12's come out. In other words telling you things that may not be true in order to make more money for themselves.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:30 PM

Oh, I have little/no doubt about that. Which is why I prefaced my reply with a "Dealer told me this" disclaimer.

It was a buying criteria for me (I'm so sick of being bled dry on routine maintainance for the Benz), so I was pretty interested to hear that they are taking it away in 2012. But I wouldn't have waited for the 2012 models either way, the dealer has the color/option combo I wanted and gave me a reasonable price.

But, if the car is indeed "more expensive" and "no schedule maint included" for 2012 it will be interesting to see how it competes. The XJL is a steal (IMHO) compared to the S class, so it wouldn't be shocking to see them raise pricing a bit. However, at the same time, if there was pricing parity between the S/7/XJ, I think I would have had to look much harder at the S and 7. Probably still would have gotten the XJ, but it would have been a much harder decision.

Originally Posted by Jffcurt
I may be wrong about this but....... The dealers and sales people may get a bigger cut by getting rid of the 2011's before the 12's come out. In other words telling you things that may not be true in order to make more money for themselves.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I think they're making a big mistake getting rid of the all inclusive warranty. Even if they raise the price, the warranty deal is killer and would continue to give them a competitive advantage. It was one of the things that sold me.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with you guys. The Jaguar brand still has some cobwebs of their old reliability issues for those that haven't made the switch. And with issues on the new XJ, while they've mostly been worked out, it could take a bite out of their share waiving the warranty advantage. Do we know if that is fact, or just speculation at this point?

JFFCURT, I have not heard anything about "trunk money" on 2011 cars at this point. It's probably too early to start discounting 2011's, especially given that there are no real changes for the 2012 model year. Maybe in late Sept early Oct you could see that. I think it's more likely you'll get a good deal because the dealers want to make room for newer inventory, and want to hit certain allocation threshholds, than they're getting money back from Corp on 2011 cars.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by kid delicious
I agree with you guys. The Jaguar brand still has some cobwebs of their old reliability issues for those that haven't made the switch. And with issues on the new XJ, while they've mostly been worked out, it could take a bite out of their share waiving the warranty advantage. Do we know if that is fact, or just speculation at this point?

JFFCURT, I have not heard anything about "trunk money" on 2011 cars at this point. It's probably too early to start discounting 2011's, especially given that there are no real changes for the 2012 model year. Maybe in late Sept early Oct you could see that. I think it's more likely you'll get a good deal because the dealers want to make room for newer inventory, and want to hit certain allocation threshholds, than they're getting money back from Corp on 2011 cars.
It's probably a combination of the two. If I was a starving salesman I wouldn't want a potential customer to wait until the 2012 models come out. In other words if I was a starving salesman I would probably say anything to get it sold.
Thank gawd I'm not a starving salesman!

Old 08-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Someone posted the new options menu for the 2012's in one of the threads and while I dont know if the price is going up I do know some of the things that were standard will become options. On the good side they now offer an illumination package that includes the treadsills and the air vents. I had to buy the treadsills myself and install them.

Quick Reply: New Member (2011 XJ vs. 2012 XJ)