XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

New owner questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts
Default New owner questions...

First, I must say that I did attentively read the owner's manual but, found no answers for these questions. Would appreciate any help with them.

1) Is there a way to increase the brightness of the LCD panels, particularly the main one that contains the speedometer, tach, gauges, etc. It looks quite faded under bright daylight conditions.

2) The plastic shelf, just below the instrument LCD panel is semi gloss and during hours that the sun is overhead, it reflects the light into the LCD gauges, making them even more difficult to read. Anyone come up with a solution? I'm thinking about covering the shelf with some flat, dark colored fabric, kind of ridiculous thing to do on a new luxury car.

3) Is there a central switch to turn-OFF all internal lights? Most of the time I drive during daylight when they are not needed so why should they draw all that tons of power when a door is opened? I know that they automatically turn-off following a certain time delay but, in the meantime they drain 15 Amps of current.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

the brightness control for the display is the dial by your left knee, next to the trunk release

Old 08-01-2012, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by another_geek
the brightness control for the display is the dial by your left knee, next to the trunk release
Thanks for the reply. I figured that dial SHOULD be the display control but, it does not do anything on my car. On my XK it is in the same place and it has a certain resistance that indicates a mechanical movement. This one spins without any resistance that seem to indicate that it is broken.

Oh well, first thing on the warranty fix list.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
Is there a central switch to turn-OFF all internal lights? Most of the time I drive during daylight when they are not needed so why should they draw all that tons of power when a door is opened? I know that they automatically turn-off following a certain time delay but, in the meantime they drain 15 Amps of current.
If you tap the center light above the windshield it toggles between coming on with opening the doors and not. I don't know of any way to keep the other courtesy lights from coming on when opening the doors.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
If you tap the center light above the windshield it toggles between coming on with opening the doors and not. I don't know of any way to keep the other courtesy lights from coming on when opening the doors.
Correction. You need to press and hold the center light above the windshield until it flashes once. This will disable all of the interior courtesy lights from coming on when you open the doors. Press and hold again until it flashes to reverse the operation.

The following users liked this post:
axr6 (08-02-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
Correction. You need to press and hold the center light above the windshield until it flashes once. This will disable all of the interior courtesy lights from coming on when you open the doors. Press and hold again until it flashes to reverse the operation.
Thanks very much for the great answer. Wonder where did you find this info? If it is in the manual, I've sure missed it. I went out to try it and it works just as you described.

Albert

Old 08-03-2012, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by axr6
Thanks very much for the great answer. Wonder where did you find this info? If it is in the manual, I've sure missed it. I went out to try it and it works just as you described.

Albert
I'm pretty sure it's in the manual--I usually read those cover to cover when I get a new toy.