XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Newbie here

Old 06-26-2019, 03:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Newbie here

Hi all

Just taken delivery of a 2014 XJR, Italian racing red, adaptive cruise, blind spot, illuminated pack plus all the usual XJ features. Loving the car so far. I’m looking to replace interior and exterior lamps with Led’s has anyone got any recommendations as reading some of the comments certain types of led’s do not work with the electrical system.

Thanks in in advance for any replies.

Last edited by Woosy; 06-26-2019 at 03:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dmchao (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 08:44 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

congrats on the jag! post some pictures, i dont think ive seen that red before.

As far as the LEDs go, i believe the only ones people had issues with are the puddle lights in the mirrors, for whatever reason those seem really iffy with LED bulbs.

Woosy (06-02-2020)
Old 06-26-2019, 11:14 AM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Woosy
Hi all

Just taken delivery of a 2014 XJR, Italian racing red, adaptive cruise, blind spot, illuminated pack plus all the usual XJ features. Loving the car so far. I’m looking to replace interior and exterior lamps with Led’s has anyone got any recommendations as reading some of the comments certain types of led’s do not work with the electrical system.

Thanks in in advance for any replies.
I just changed mine out. For the interior and license plate you can use any 194 led bulb they work fine. For the door puddle lights, rear footwell, and trunk you need a festoon bulb as far I remember I believe it was 39mm. For the trunk no bulbs were working for me besides one I found at oreilly’s. It was a Sylvania branded one. As for the side mirror puddle lights some people had issues some didn’t. I did and it turned out I needed a CANBUS bulb for the side mirrors. Also for the sun visor I did a lot of searching and only found one that was Led and fit and worked perfectly. These right here YITAMOTOR 20x T5 3-SMD Instrument...
Amazon Amazon
it’s a normal T5 bulb but a lot of the ones I tried were too long or too wide to fit. Hope this helps

Old 06-27-2019, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Supercharged Jag
I just changed mine out. For the interior and license plate you can use any 194 led bulb they work fine. For the door puddle lights, rear footwell, and trunk you need a festoon bulb as far I remember I believe it was 39mm. For the trunk no bulbs were working for me besides one I found at oreilly’s. It was a Sylvania branded one. As for the side mirror puddle lights some people had issues some didn’t. I did and it turned out I needed a CANBUS bulb for the side mirrors. Also for the sun visor I did a lot of searching and only found one that was Led and fit and worked perfectly. These right here YITAMOTOR 20x T5 3-SMD Instrument... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018LUL2WK...p_mob_ap_share it’s a normal T5 bulb but a lot of the ones I tried were too long or too wide to fit. Hope this helps
Thank you for the advice I’ll check out on both amazon and eBay. The car is going back to dealership in July to have a few minor issues corrected. Maybe have a chat with the technician. My guess is it will draw a blank best place for info are these forums. I’ll post some pics when I get a chance. The car can be viewed on YouTube by putting in the reg. But before I post reg are there any rules about posting reg number?

Old 06-29-2019, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,747 Posts

Not to many IRR cars but mine is. 2014 XJR.
I need to update my pictures since I swapped to the later LED headlights.

Woosy (06-02-2020)
Old 06-29-2019, 07:13 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1

Not to many IRR cars but mine is. 2014 XJR.
I need to update my pictures since I swapped to the later LED headlights.
I saw some YouTube videos on swapping out the headlights to the newer LED lights but it didn't look "trustworthy" - it's literally a couple guys in the video from China I believe and you have to have them ship you the LEDs, etc. Were you able to get all of this done here without issue?

Old 06-30-2019, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Actually I did it using a great thread on the forums. I made my own harness and purchased used LED headlights off EBay.
Then I sold my old lights and recouped a good bit of the expense.

Just search for LED headlights and you will find it. It's a giant thread with a ton of good stuff. Be aware there are 2 ways to do this. The harness method I used or you can take the lights apart and internally mod them. That's what you have been seeing. That method requires you to buy the lights from someone who has done the mod. Also be careful that you get the proper LHD lights if buying outside of the US. There is a method to convert back and forth between RHD and LHD but that's another complication!

Also I have NOT found a guaranteed method of baking these late model LED XJ headlights to get them apart. On my old S Type R I could take those apart and repairs/mods were much easier!

Really love the better light and they look cool too! Not a good picture and I hope to take some better ones in the future.

Nightshadow (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 03:16 PM

Man that looks freaking amazing!!! Would be great if someone on this thread did this on the side and sold them as a hobby or something, I would certainly pay for something like that. I am not too "mechanically inclined" unfortunately, but will find the thread and see what it entails.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

The problem is that anyone that did this would be open to liability and/or law suits if things did not work out.
So not enough money to be made to offset the risk.

If you look at that thread everything it is all laid out. You can even see where I made my harness backwards the first time!
But I eventually got it right and it's been over a year and probably 15K miles. Still working fine.

It's a good mod!

Nightshadow (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 11:43 AM

Excellent points. Didn't even think of that perspective. I'm still in the honeymoon stage with my new car, haha. It clouds my judgement.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:14 PM

Couple photos. Just got it back from dealer who sorted out stop/start not working and 2 buckled wheels.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

That is very surprising because one of the advantages of the XJR is the 20" wheels are forged which are very resistant to bending?
Maybe I don't understand what bucking is because it seems like the wheel would be totally collapsed if it buckled?

I have hit some major potholes and expected wheel damage but nothing so far. I only have about 37K on my 2014 XJR.

Woosy (06-02-2020)
Old 07-13-2019, 04:18 PM

I was experiencing vibration through the steering column and through the drivers seat. When the dealer investigated the issue they diagnosed bent/buckled alloys x 2. They were straightened and rebalanced which has cured the issue. Before purchasing the XJ I was going to purchase an RS6 these can be fitted with 21 inch forged alloys and it’s quite a common problem for them buckle.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

Well crap!
I thought forged was so much tougher but I guess not.

My old 2005 STR had all 4 factory 18" rims bent when I had them chromed. Seemed a bit suspicious at the time.
But now I guess they were right. Strange because that car drove smooth even with the 4 bent rims?

Woosy (06-02-2020)