XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Newbie... Please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 09:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Newbie... Please help

Hello all. Just bought a 2012 XJL Supersport amd had a few questions. Thanks in advance for any help provided.

1. Dealer provided 2 smart keys but one lf them doesn't have the metal key blade inside. Can the smart key be used without the metal key blade inside? Also, where can i go to make a duplicate key blade?

2. When first got car 3 days ago we paired our Android phone via Bluetooth without a problem. A couple stops or hours later, had navigation on and tried to cancel guidance with voice command and it said "handset not connected". When we looked at the phone, the Bluetooth was still showing connected. How can we fix this? It seems handset stops being recognized.

3. We have the illumination package on the car. All blue lights initially lit up but now i dont see the jaguar metal plate on the foot/bottom door panel entrance light up. How do we get this to light up when we open door?

4. Center light on headliner doesn't light up when doors are open, how can we turn this on? Also, once doors close, is there an ambient lighting feature to have some faint light in interior cabin while driving?

5. How often do you change oil? Dealer recommended every 5000 miles. Does that sound accurate? Its a NA, V8, 5.0L, 510hp engine.

6. Did anyone get the road hazzard or xzilon package added to vehicle and if so, has it been worth it?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks again for any help offered .

Old 02-10-2019, 09:58 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

drl1001, for your questions, here we go:

1), yes the keyfob can be used without the metal key inside. That key is only needed if your battery goes dead and the doors are locked. You would then have to pull out that key to manually unlock the doors. As for getting a new one, I would talk with a local locksmith and ask them what you are after, but it may be possible that you will need to run to the dealership to have them make you a new one. On a side note, you may want to look at how the key works before you get into a situation where you need it. While the directions (atleast to me) are all there, they are not necessarily the clearest and may take you a bit to figure out what exactly needs to be done.

2) As for the phone, this is where you will have to look at a few things. It is possible that there is a setting inside the phone that will disable the bluetooth when it goes into sleep mode, It could be the radio. I don't use bluetooth in my car all that much (only on really long trips where I don't want the phone in my pocket), so, I have never experienced this issue. Granted, not much of one to use the voice commands either. I like to push the buttons.

3) Odds are, you have a connector that is loose and you would need to lift up the sill plate in question (held in place with a few friction clips, so, pull straight up and it will come off) to access the connector. All the plates are wired in parallel to each other. So, if one comes on, they all come on.

4) Ah, the faint light issue. I have this too. In short, the previous owner installed LED lights in the rear light fixture. The light fixture has a small amount of current flowing through it at all times because of the "touch feature" of the light. Because LEDs are so efficient, this minute current is enough to make the LED bulbs light up a little bit. I kinda like it as it helps you find the light at night, but it can be a little distracting too. If you want to fix this, you will need to get standard filament bulbs and put those in. As for the light not coming on, I would say to first verify that you have a bulb in that location (since we know the previous owner has atleast messed with the bulbs). Once you know you have a good bulb there, get into the car and leave a door open (force the overhead lights on). Now, from the front seats, touch the center part of the front overhead light fixture till you see the light under your finger come on. This should also turn on the rear light too. This should take 2-3 seconds as I recall. This is how you (de)activate the overhead lights. Otherwise, you may have a bad light fixture back there.

5) Technically, jaguar says that you only need to change the oil every 15K miles if you are using the oil that they recommend. Most would agree that this is a bit longer than most are comfortable with. So, a lot of people go with a shorter time interval. Some would argue that 5K miles between oil changes is a bit too often. I have the 5.0L engine and I do mine every 7500 miles. I see things this way, oil is fairly cheap and if you run the oil too long, you can hurt the engine which is a major repair bill ($15K just for the motor and then figure another few thousand to get it installed). So, pay me now, pay me later. A lot of members are either using the 7500 mile or the 10K mile interval. Please note that your car is no NA (naturally aspirated), it is supercharged. This can potentially get you wrong parts at the parts store. Just an FYI.

6) I didn't get any additional packages to my car. I am someone that works on my own vehicles and if there is something small that needs repaired, I will do it myself. Hopefully someone else will have some info for you.

Please stop by the New Member section and tell us a little bit about yourself. We pride ourselves in being a better car group. As part of this, we like to get to know one another and this will also give you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is. Lots of good people here and tons of information that will help you enjoy your car.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:10 PM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

hi, with regards to 3 and 4 it sounds as if you have accidentally turned off the overhead lighting , the cill plates are connected on the same circuit.
I think that if you hold your fingers on the overhead light for a short while you will get it to flash twice, this means they are now turned on and will operate when the door opens, try this first.
the funny thing is a guy on the Jaguar x351 facebook page asked the same question earlier today !
Best of luck and enjoy the car.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:09 PM

First of all, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Its truly appreciated. You are right, this place is filled with very helpful info and jag enthusiasts. I had been on the forums prior to my purchase and had already gained lots of helpful info with the help of all of you. So thanks again.

That said, I have a few more questions or things that someone on here may help clarify....

As far as the overhead light was concerned, THANK YOU ROVIW, keeping the center front overhead light pressed did the trick in solving the door plate lighting up and the overhead light coming on when the doors are opened. Indeed, the light did flash twice and that resolved the problem. However, I am still wondering how to get the overhead light at the very center of the vehicle lit. The light I am referring to is the light at the very center, in between the 2 vanity mirrors for the rear passengers. If that even is a light, how do I turn this light on? Any ideas?

As far as the phone is concerned, I'm still having a problem and its driving me nuts. Nothing is disabling the bluetooth and the handset is still paired when in sleep mode. All the phone functions work if you manually press the buttons on the touch screen, but when you use the voice commands it will go through all the steps e.g., phone, call contact, etc., but then when it comes to calling the contact it will then say "handset not connected". Again, if you then check the touch screen and the phone, they are showing as paired and connected. So I am unable to complete the process of the call. I then have to touch the buttons on the touch screen of the car to be able to make or complete the call. Again, if anyone has any idea what is going, any help will be appreciated.

In terms of the key, THANK YOU THERMO, for offering some insight. I will just use the 2nd key without the key blade or see if dealer can supply. I did ask a local locksmith and he charges 120.00 dollars for the duplicate key blade and says that the finished product will not fit the inside of the smart key. Not worth it to me, but it was worth asking. I do have 1 more question regarding the key... In the event the smart key battery dies, how do you get in the car and how do you start the car? I didn't see anywhere in the car where you could insert the key blade. Any ideas?

In terms of the NA engine... thanks for clarifying. I was confused about the engine. It appears as if the standard XJ with the 385hp, 5.0L, V8 is the one that has the NA. So I guess the correct way to identify the car when referencing parts would be XJL, Supersport, supercharged?

Thanks again to those that replied thus far. If anyone can offer any additional info, it would be appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
roviw (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 03:33 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by drj1001
Hello all. Just bought a 2012 XJL Supersport amd had a few questions. ......
Welcome to the forum drj1001,

For future reference, ONE topic per thread rather than an extensive list!

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 02-11-2019, 04:55 AM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

Glad to help, with regard to the " light " you mentioned between the vanity mirrors I have a feeling you may be referring to the large black dome maybe ?
This is not a light , it houses the receiver unit for the Bluetooth cordless headphones if you have the entertainment screens in the rear. I think it also houses other things to do with alarm or whatever.

You mention the key slot, there is a little removable cover on the drivers door handle that pops off to reveal a key slot to use in emergencies to gain access to the car.
You should be able to search online and download a pdf file for the complete handbook for the car. Try googling Jaguar x351 handbook download, it may come up.
I actually downloaded a handbook a couple of months before my car was delivered so that I could have a read through beforehand.
The below is copied from the handbook, sorry it is so small to read.

Insert the emergency key blade into the

slot at the base of the door lock cover. Lift

slightly to prise away the lock cover and

expose the emergency lock.

Insert the key blade into the exposed lock to

operate.

To unlock: Turn the key blade towards the rear

of the vehicle and release. If the security

system is disarmed, all doors and the luggage

compartment will be unlocked. If the security

system is armed, only the front left-hand door

will unlock.

If the vehicle is unlocked using the emergency

key blade with the security system armed, the

alarm will sound when a door is unlocked. To

deactivate the alarm, press the unlock button

on the Jaguar Smart Key or press the engine

START/STOP button with the Smart Key inside

the vehicle.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forum drj1001,

For future reference, ONE topic per thread rather than an extensive list!

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham
Thanks and my apologies. I figured it was best to ask all of my newbie general questions in one place, rather than make 7 new posts/threads regarding various issues.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:00 PM

Thanks again, roviw! Really appreciate all the help you've offered.

I guess that is exactly what i was referring to... "the large black dome"... lol... i thought it was a light this whole time that wasn't lighting up. but your clarification makes perfect sense... it would make sense that is the housing unit for rear lcd headphones, etc. i do have two rear lcd's in the back of the front headrests.

As far as the key, thanks for the info. i have an owners manual that came with the car and i had already read the function of the key blade, the plastic cover that pops off, etc. i'm still not sure how you start the car with a non-functioning smartkey due to dead smartkey battery. i think im just going to follow the moderators suggestion and make an individual post for each issue i am having.

thank you again!

The following users liked this post:
roviw (02-12-2019)