XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Nicodep : my little XJ modded

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 09:40 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 480 Likes on 368 Posts

Had the yellow "service engine" come on, so today I went to my local Jaguar dealer who charged me $115.00 to diagnose the problem (a loose "full load breather" hose had become disconnected, which caused a intake leak, which caused an abnormal fuel trim on bank 2). Reconnected it and all was good.

Then I asked "how much to install the front and rear ceramic brake pucks, plus the front and rear caliper brake covers" I already had purchased and brought with me?

Reply: $368.81 plus $61.00 each for new front and rear brake pad sensors. I said "go", so this cost me an additional $499.66 (with tax).

Poof, $614.66 out the window, to say nothing of what I paid for the pads and covers in the first place.

I then came home and installed (previously purchased) "rim skins" to cover-up significant wheel "curb rash" on all four wheels, and perhaps prevent further incidents. In the process I cleaned the wheels and tires with isopropyl alcohol, and then applied "ArmorAll" wheel and tire protectants (separate products), plus their "Tire Foam" to the wheel surround areas.

End results? To be determined. I think the new pads are still bedding-in and thus are generating more dust than they will when "seated". On my Corvette, similar measures reduced previously obnoxious brake dust dirtying by perhaps 95%. On my XJ Jaguar I would be delighted with a 50% plus reduction.

Otherwise, the overall appearance of my XJ's tire/wheel/surrounds are at least equal to a new 2015 XJ, plus my trunk (boot) lid spells out 5.0L rather than the 3.0L seen on all the dealer's current XJ showroom models, which hardly encourages me to trade "down".

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 09-02-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:46 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I love seeing these kinds of threads.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:11 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
Had the yellow "service engine" come on, so today I went to my local Jaguar dealer who charged me $115.00 to diagnose the problem (a loose "full load breather" hose had become disconnected, which caused a intake leak, which caused an abnormal fuel trim on bank 2). Reconnected it and all was good.

Then I asked "how much to install the front and rear ceramic brake pucks, plus the front and rear caliper brake covers" I already had purchased and brought with me?

Reply: $368.81 plus $61.00 each for new front and rear brake pad sensors. I said "go", so this cost me an additional $499.66 (with tax).

Poof, $614.66 out the window, to say nothing of what I paid for the pads and covers in the first place.

I then came home and installed (previously purchased) "rim skins" to cover-up significant wheel "curb rash" on all four wheels, and perhaps prevent further incidents. In the process I cleaned the wheels and tires with isopropyl alcohol, and then applied "ArmorAll" wheel and tire protectants (separate products), plus their "Tire Foam" to the wheel surround areas.

End results? To be determined. I think the new pads are still bedding-in and thus are generating more dust than they will when "seated". On my Corvette, similar measures reduced previously obnoxious brake dust dirtying by perhaps 95%. On my XJ Jaguar I would be delighted with a 50% plus reduction.

Otherwise, the overall appearance of my XJ's tire/wheel/surrounds are at least equal to a new 2015 XJ, plus my trunk (boot) lid spells out 5.0L rather than the 3.0L seen on all the dealer's current XJ showroom models, which hardly encourages me to trade "down".
pictures ! pictures ! pictures !

Old 09-07-2015, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by nicodep
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, I present my little XJ 3.0D Premium Luxury
I am French, sorry for my english ...

Bienvenue Nico ! Je ne suis pas Français mais je suis marrie avec une

As for your car, SUPERB mods ! Few questions :

- how does the modding ? you buy the parts at your Jaguar dealer and you install them ? or they install them ?

- why KN filter on a diesel model ? notice any difference in performance and/or noise ?

- tailpipes - pure cosmetic ? no performance change ?

Now can you go and get a 2016 full led lights, buy them and install them. I need a guinea pig before I spend 2500 euros on them

Old 09-08-2015, 04:09 AM
Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Goncalo Proenca
- how does the modding ? you buy the parts at your Jaguar dealer and you install them ? or they install them ?
Yes i buy parts from my Jaguar dealer and i install them myself, it's easy to install except the antiroll bar where it takes several hours !

- why KN filter on a diesel model ? notice any difference in performance and/or noise ?
A cotton filter is always better, more air supply allows better times .... Now would be a good reprogramming more efficient!

- tailpipes - pure cosmetic ? no performance change ?
Yes it's only comestic, in all cases a diesel engine will never make a beautiful sound ... it must add active sound that !!
By changing all the line you can win up to 10hp, but you have to remove the DPF cv!

Now can you go and get a 2016 full led lights, buy them and install them. I need a guinea pig before I spend 2500 euros on them
Yes i'm waiting about this upgrade ... and see the compatibility !!

The following users liked this post:
Goncalo Proenca (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 04:24 AM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

In a month or two will be already ready custom SW for Virtual Instrument Panel as 2016MY Virtual Instruments Gallery

Old 09-08-2015, 01:02 PM

Yes i buy parts from my Jaguar dealer and i install them myself, it's easy to install except the antiroll bar where it takes several hours !
Hummm I'll try to install myself the illuminated sills and that is it.. I'm NOT hardware orientated and I couldnt dismount the dash ( or the trim ) as you did - I just dont have the courage and I'm pretty aware of my limitations

A cotton filter is always better, more air supply allows better times .... Now would be a good reprogramming more efficient!
Do you have K&N part number ? Its a simple switch ( take old filter, install new one ? ) Where did you ordered it from ?

Yes it's only comestic, in all cases a diesel engine will never make a beautiful sound ... it must add active sound that !!
By changing all the line you can win up to 10hp, but you have to remove the DPF cv!
Almost have to disagree with you.. It is no supercharged, but apart from the 640D Grand Coupe this is the best diesel in AGES

Yes i'm waiting about this upgrade ... and see the compatibility !!

The bad news : I picked up my car today from Jaguar Portugal and one of the inquires I had was the changing of the headlights - they said "no no". Pretty much the service shop manager ( top customer service, have to say. MILES away from my previous experiences with Mercedes, on par with BMW high end - I had a 750iL before ) from Jaguar said - Jaguar UK says if it is something that alters the options that it left the factory, its a no. It's sad because if you email them and go to London ( or UK ) and ask to change them the lights, Meridian Surround or something like that, they will say yes and invoice you - but they do not release the codes to use for us to alter the media center and engine / eletronics management.

So first round :they win

Now I'm emailing Jaguar dealer's from Lisbon to London. the first one who quotes me, wins

Old 09-08-2015, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by 08292
In a month or two will be already ready custom SW for Virtual Instrument Panel as 2016MY Virtual Instruments Gallery
you have to spend some holidays in Lisbon and tweak my XJ

Old 09-08-2015, 01:14 PM
Default Nicodep : my little XJ modded

you have to spend some holidays in Lisbon and tweak my XJ
I'll keep you in touch if I could spend a holiday in Lisbon

Old 09-08-2015, 01:19 PM

I'll keep you in touch if I could spend a holiday in Lisbon
Lisbon is always with a fantastic sun shine and I'm a General Manager in a lovely Lisbon Hotel just get the airfare from Kiev and bring your cables with you and your software !

Old 09-08-2015, 01:26 PM

Lisbon is always with a fantastic sun shine and I'm a General Manager in a lovely Lisbon Hotel just get the airfare from Kiev and bring your cables with you and your software !
Thanks for offer! What I could say for now, still didn't saw the wiring for LED headlight, need some time to solve the reprogramming modules. Now still in progress to get 2916MY virtual instrument cluster on pre 2016NY vehicles, so keep you in touch and if we have agreement, visit Lisbon with cable ans SW

Old 11-05-2016, 01:05 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, I present my little XJ 3.0D Premium Luxury
I am French, sorry for my english ...

Model 2013 8-speed auto box

Originally :

First modded,
- Change 19' wheels by 20' Orona
- Smoke Glastint glass and rear orange cataphoque
- K&N Air Filter
- Chrome pedals

Add Tailpipe from Jaguar accessory

Change back door from XJR model

Add front & rear spoiler from sport pack

Change clock from Ultimate model ... but impossible to disassemble the original model, forced to break !!

Change hood door panel by carbon model

Change original chrome grill by black gloss and red Jaguar symbol

that's all for now !!

Is that "shark fin antenna" OEM or added? What's the part number? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:50 AM

Hi Gagmam66

Yes it's a serial antenna for french (or European) model !

Old 11-06-2016, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

Starting in 2013 even the NA XJ had a lot of changes. One of them was to move the radio/satellite/navigation and TV antennas relocated from beneath the body colored section on the roof to an external location that is covered by the "shark" fin.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:27 PM

Thanks for offer! What I could say for now, still didn't saw the wiring for LED headlight, need some time to solve the reprogramming modules. Now still in progress to get 2916MY virtual instrument cluster on pre 2016NY vehicles, so keep you in touch and if we have agreement, visit Lisbon with cable ans SW

Any progress with updating the GUI and other features?

Old 11-06-2016, 11:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dash And Door Trims

I have ordered these parts but very reluctant to change myself especially the dash trim. How easy or difficult was to replace these? Do they pull out or slide ?

Old 11-07-2016, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by gagman66
Is that "shark fin antenna" OEM or added? What's the part number? Thanks in advance.
Also, are there existing wiring to connect the "Fog Lights" added to the lower front grill?

Old 11-08-2016, 07:52 AM

Hi,

It's DAY LIGHT Led to my front grill, not fog light
No existing wiring, it's a part of ARDEN Led kit, you need to mod to connect to the fuse box

Old 11-20-2016, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I would be interested in fitting some 2016 parts - headlamps and touchscreen / dashboard - in my car too.

Waiting for news.

Old 12-25-2016, 12:26 AM

Hi Nicodep,

Question: is it absolutely required to remove the front bumper to install DRL? I have similar DRL that fits the XF. My thought is to cut them on both sides and install like you did. Your thoughts?

2x LED Driving Daytime Running Day Fog Lamp Light For Jaguar XF 2008 2010-NEW | eBay

Also, I ordered these to possibly insert above or below the chrome bar if deciding not to pull off the front bumper.

Pair LED DRL Daytime Running Light Fog Lamp Turn Signal For Ford Kuga 2013-2016 | eBay

These have turn signal option as well.

Quick Reply: Nicodep : my little XJ modded