XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Parking sensor mounting

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 12:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts
Default Parking sensor mounting

I was waxing my car not to long ago and when I pressed on the parking sensor to wipe off the wax, the sensor fell into the rear bumper. I figured the snap/mount that held the sensor in place had simply come undone and a simple push would click it back into place. Well, that is not the case. On my car, the sensors appear to be glued in place as there is no fastening device of any kind that holds the sensor in place. My question is, what adhesive is used to hold the sensors in place? I looked in the service manual and that only says 'install is the reverse of removal'. Nothing about use adhesive XXXX to mount the sensor. I currently have it taped in place and it is holding the sensor where it needs to be, but this is not the permanent fix. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:22 PM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts

I had/have the same problem. As my temporary fix I used some acrylic caulk and its been fine for ~ 1 year. I haven't taken the bumper off yet but on my X150 the parking sensors are a push fit but the bumper cover tabs are compressed together with a cable tie

Old 10-14-2018, 07:05 PM
Veteran member

hafren, thanks, I will have to give that a try. It was some sort of soft caulk from what I could only guess it was.Still mouldable. Have to give it a try.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:03 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Chris if youre talking about the mount that is heat bonded to the bumper that the sensor mounts in, plastic epoxy back in place. If you're talking about the sensor itself it snaps in place unless someone in the past broke the tabs. Or if the tabs are spread to far when someone took out the sensor in the past. With the sensor out squeeze together to tighten the tabs. If theyre gone or just messed up the mounts are avail separately. I know the body shop buy them all the time

Old 10-15-2018, 08:09 PM
Veteran member

Brutal it is the mount, not the sensor itself. What was holding it in place sure doesn't feel like plastic epoxy. This stuff was kinda gooey, almost like the old glass caulking your used to use to hold glass inside of the wooden window frames.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

It sounds like the mount had been replaced at some point using a sealant instead which may be why it came off so easily during cleaning.

When they come off I just heat stake them on with an old soldering iron as it is instant and saves wasting an epoxy mixing tip. The mounts have a few small holes in them where they stake them at the factory, so just clean all the sealant stuff off the rear mating face of the bumper and jam a soldering iron tip in the holes with a little wiggle (use a fat cone shaped tip so you melt and force the mount's plastic onto the bumper)... Just be careful not to come through the face of the bumper! I must have done half a dozen across my cars and not yet made any holes.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:32 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by thermo
brutal it is the mount, not the sensor itself. What was holding it in place sure doesn't feel like plastic epoxy. This stuff was kinda gooey, almost like the old glass caulking your used to use to hold glass inside of the wooden window frames.
then it was previously done by someone else. I epoxy when they come off. From the factory theyre heat bonded by what look slike 6 to 8 plastic locating pins that are part of the bumper. Then the mount with corresponding holes are aligned then the pins melted down onto the mounts to fuse them together. Problem i usually see is theouter sensor mounts get popped loose most often from catching a steep incline(like a driveway) on the corner of the from bumper flexing the bumper cover alot and dislocating the mount