XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Passenger side Internal door lock buttons

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 09:57 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Passenger side Internal door lock buttons

Hi All,
The internal door lock/unlock buttons do not work, there is no backlight either, which leads to me to think either the switch is disconnected or faulty ( it has never worked since i got the car)

Anybody have instructions to easily remove the relevant panels and check switch.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-30-2020, 11:47 AM
Received 169 Likes on 133 Posts

Year and Model? There may have been wiring changes from year to year. So your year, standard or long wheel base, V-6 or V-8 all may have an affect on wiring involved. When you lock the doors with the fob, does that door lock? If you hear a couple of beeps, I suspect not. Does it lock when you push the small lock button on the outer door handle with the door closed? I had to change the lock solenoid on three doors when i first bought my car used.

Check the fuse. The backlight, are you referring to the light on the door when opened? What you are describing might be two problems. Check the bulb to see if it is burned.

Old 08-30-2020, 11:54 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

XJ X351 MY 2016 Luxury.

Door locks with remote and automatically when driving, the button inside does not lock or unlock , no yellow light, no backlight on button when headlights are on. It is only the button that does not work or do anything, i need instructions on how to remove so i can test or replace. Thanks.

Old 08-31-2020, 05:03 PM
Received 169 Likes on 133 Posts

Another question, sitting in the car and locking the doors with the fob, there should be an amber light at the bottom of all four individual lock symbols. those that are not amber are where the problem is.

Put down the window. Open the door and sit on the ground/floor with a hand mirror. You should be able to see the screws securing the arm rest. You will need interior trim pliers. I got mine at Autozone. Get a set of the plastic trim pry bars. There are a series of plastic clips that look like christmas trees that insert in plastic receptacles in the door. Start at a corner with one of the plastic pry bars. Pry carefully and then slide the trim pliers fork with the plastic tree between the fork fingers. Pry part way. repeat for the others. With the screws removed and the plastic trees popped loose, slide the rear of the door panel up and then the front. The top of the panel is U shaped and is inserted over the top of the door shell.

I find it harder to get the door panel back in the groove during reinstallation.

The procedure described I have used on my XJS, an X308 and a X350.