XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

rattle still in rear (and it's really beginning to hurt))

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattle still in rear (and it's really beginning to hurt))

Hello again.

My Jag is currently at the dealership having various rattles addressed. They've apparently fixed two of the three, but haven't yet been able to reproduce the rattle in the rear of the car. I've been convinced that this is the notorious "roof popping" and spoke with them about it, but they state that the "roof popping" TSB was performed prior to me taking delivery on the car.

So, I'm left to believe at this point that either the TSB was done incorrectly, or there is another issue back there. What do you guys think?? For those familiar with the TSB, is it possible to do it wrong or is it pretty straightforward?? Additionally, are there other rattles back there that people are aware of??

TIA.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:40 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

My dealer had to take a couple of stabs at the roof popping TSB's but finally got it fixed. It is possible to eliminate all noises--stay on your dealer.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

1 of the biggest sources of XJ roof pop that is NOT addressed in the bulletins is the mount for the casting motors(motors for the blinds) Where the castings mount to the center cross bar with a torx. This torx bolt needs to be taken out, and the casting mount gently pried away from the metal roof cross bar as you slip anti rattle felt between the 2. I cut a hole in the felt with scissors to let the bolt pass back through and tighten. If they dont know this fix, have them try it, it works for us...

The following 2 users liked this post by Brutal:
cpuranik (01-27-2011), gears (01-27-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
1 of the biggest sources of XJ roof pop that is NOT addressed in the bulletins is the mount for the casting motors(motors for the blinds) Where the castings mount to the center cross bar with a torx. This torx bolt needs to be taken out, and the casting mount gently pried away from the metal roof cross bar as you slip anti rattle felt between the 2. I cut a hole in the felt with scissors to let the bolt pass back through and tighten. If they dont know this fix, have them try it, it works for us...
That's great information - thanks!! My initial thought before learning about the "roof popping" was that the noise was coming from the rear sunshade . . . so this makes sense. I forwarded your info to my dealer - hopefully he'll be willing to give it a shot (as he has not yet been able to reproduce the noise).

Old 01-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Uuuhhh...yes that is addressed in the bulletins. I read it there myself.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:41 PM

......and OK....it these torx screws are addressed in there, but you are correct that the procedure you mentioned is not addressed correctly. They only addressed that they may need tightening. And they had not been tightened properly.

In other words, THANK YOU for the help. When it comes to the roof noises, EVERY input like yours should make it into Jaguar's communication system (whatever that is).

Obviously you are one of the techs who had the pleasure to paly with the roof noise. You guys should get a big Thank You from Jaguar as I know how hard it is to identify some of those noises.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by gears
uuuhhh...yes that is addressed in the bulletins. I read it there myself.
no its not i just reread the section on roof rework for popping and there is nothing in there that says to put a felt strip in between the casting mount and the metal cross bar and reinstall the t25 torx.
If you look at page 32 of the 48 pages it shows a pic, bottom pic on figure 10.17 the middle of the 3 arrows shows the casting mount and the torx bolt location i am speaking of. Now please show me what you read and what page of the 48 pages that says to install a felt pad....

Trending Topics

Old 01-28-2011, 11:11 AM

no its not i just reread the section on roof rework for popping and there is nothing in there that says to put a felt strip in between the casting mount and the metal cross bar and reinstall the t25 torx.
If you look at page 32 of the 48 pages it shows a pic, bottom pic on figure 10.17 the middle of the 3 arrows shows the casting mount and the torx bolt location i am speaking of. Now please show me what you read and what page of the 48 pages that says to install a felt pad....
Didn't mean to offend you or doubt you.Like I said in my subsequent post, you are correct. There is nothing about felt pads. Like I said in the post below my origianal post, I corrected myself on that. And I stated big Kudos to you guys fixing Jaguars noise problems.

Like I stated in my last post, "you are correct that the procedure you mentioned is not addressed correctly", what more can I say? You are absolutely correct about the felt pads ect. All Jaguar addressed is to make sure the torx are tightened to spec. Nothing else.

Not sure what else to say. I already corrected myself. I hope Jaguar is implementing some of the work you did for them into their TSB's.

And again, Thank You for pointing this one out. I really do appreciate it.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:31 PM

No problem, just passing that info on to have whomeever communicate this to their dealer if it hasnt been done. Not all dealers are large and work together to fix issues. We here do and many times we all try something that does or doesnt work and share it with other techs(and sometimes jaguar ) That felt pad in that area has shown to fix some of the many noise we fight with, and when you drive around with the headliner hanging listening for noise and then try things 1 at a time, you find out what does and doesnt work.
we realize the goal is to fix the problem to keep customers coming back(thats our goal, not always our success)
its not that the cars are really too complicated they are complicated, the bigger issue is we dont write software, we have issue with windows locking up our laptops, (thanks microsoft) and therefore how do you fix a computer issue when something is possibly at fault with the car, the software in the car, the laptop, or the downloads????
So far this year ive have 3 modules blown by downloads/connectivy where no issue before. Jaguar downloads updates and fixes to us almost daily on the web. Its so much more these days about 1/0's and less about sockets and wrences.