XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Self adjusting music volume

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Self adjusting music volume

Hi,

I've just purchased a 2010 XJL Portfolio with the B&W sound system, which is AMAZING, however... When your speed drops below 30mph, it gets a little quieter, then when it drops below 10 it gets even quieter still. The car doesn't make much of a noise when it's moving along, so I really don't see the point. If you're listening at a sensible volume to have a conversation at the same time, when you stop at a red light it might as well turn itself off.

Does anybody know how to fix this? On a Ford that I owned previously it was called AVC+ settings, but I can't find details anywhere about the Jaguar.

Thanks

Alan

Old 04-01-2019, 12:59 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

i could have sworn i saw an auto-volume setting somewhere when I was poking around in the menus, but I wasnt able to find it over the weekend. It does that on all the sources you are using, like CD, Bluetooth, AM/FM, etc?

Old 04-26-2019, 07:49 AM
Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

(Edit after having a look at menus) no settings are available to turn this off.

Its speed controlled. I don’t recall seeing it in the menus but have been meaning to look for a menu to turn it off.
speed adaptive volume control isn’t to awesome in my opinion.
ill have a look through my menu screens later and report back if there’s a way to turn it off.

Last edited by mcmism; 04-26-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:38 AM
Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by mcmism
(Edit after having a look at menus) no settings are available to turn this off.

Its speed controlled. I don’t recall seeing it in the menus but have been meaning to look for a menu to turn it off.
speed adaptive volume control isn’t to awesome in my opinion.
ill have a look through my menu screens later and report back if there’s a way to turn it off.
I haven’t noticed my 2010 XJL Portfolio doing this. Maybe mine is broken (yay!). I’ll pay attention to it tonight and report back. Is it listed as a feature in any documentation?

Old 04-26-2019, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Nedoerr
I haven’t noticed my 2010 XJL Portfolio doing this. Maybe mine is broken (yay!). I’ll pay attention to it tonight and report back. Is it listed as a feature in any documentation?
i haven’t looked through the documentation and I haven’t owned my 2011 very long but I did notice the adaptive volume. I listen to my music pretty loud a lot of times though. I think from what I’ve noticed it doesn’t do the adaptive thing at lower listening levels.

Try turning the volume up to like halfway and then come to a stop. After being fully stopped then pick up your speed to like 60 with a good amount of acceleration. This is when you’re going to notice the volume level increase. It won’t actually change the volume number you’re on just the actual volume you’re hearing in the vehicle, then at a stop again the volume will be a bit quieter. I only really notice it when accelerating pretty good.

now, here’s a quick explanation of why the audio system does this.
at idle you will have no road noise and less engine noise etc.
audio systems that are designed to increase the volume as the vehicle is in motion are turning up the volume to overcome road and engine noise. They are turning the volume up to compensate for other noises that will drown out the sound of the audio and a properly designed system will do this change Very subtly so that you’re mind will not pick up on the change in volume and in theory as the surrounding environment gets louder you will be listening to the same “perceived volume level”

i do car audio and electronics for a living and that’s all I’ve done for 21 years. Most audio systems now would allow you to turn the feature on or off but these radios don’t have a menu to turn it off.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:17 PM
Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

I’ve been trying to hear the described volume change on my car, but I don’t hear it. Ive tried different volumes and speeds. No difference.

sometimes the HD radio station changes back and forth to non-HD source and that causes a change in volume. That can be turned off by turning off the HD radio source completely. Then my volume is constant.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:13 PM

Ok I’m revisiting this thread and also revising my original thoughts about the self adjusting volume.

originally when I purchased the car my volume was dropping at stop lights and increasing when I sped up. The volume change was noticeable and my girlfriend even pointed it out and usually she’s not observant of these kind of things.

when I originally replied to this post I was experiencing a low battery warning when I entered the vehicle but the car started fine so I thought the vehicle had a calibration issue or something

long story short, I replaced my battery, since the replacement battery has been installed I have not had the volume level change described in this post.

it is my official opinion at this point that the vehicle does not have adaptive volume control and my volume was most likely decreasing at stop lights due to less voltage being available to the amplifier.